Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stay in the ACC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Stay in the ACC?

May 22, 2012, 8:23 PM

Do you think it's coincidence that Arkansas and SC are seeing their best athletic years as members of the SEC... They are the original expansion teams of the SEC.

Reversely, BC and Miami have completely fallen off since joining the ACC. BC was a top 20 program and Miami was playing for NC's. Is VT next?

Perception.. ESPN controls it. Every week we will be ridiculed as a conference. In turn, our recruiting suffers. Our rankings on a weekly basis suffer. We could have the same record as an SEC team, and actually be a better team... But that means nothing in perception and we would be ranked lower. Would this cost us a playoff spot one day.

But enough about magical seasons. Most years will be just good to great. We don't even have the Gator Bowl anymore because of the ACC leadership. Our bowl tie-ins get worse every year. We are bringing in basketball schools when 80% of the TV revenue is generated by football. This is YOUR conference leadership. The SEC partnered with the BIG 12 in their champions bowl game. Why not the ACC? You know why! and you want to attach your allegiance to that sinking ship? Why!?

And then there is that 10-20 million dollar yearly disadvantage to our rivals. Do you really want to go there? I personally enjoy owning SC as the football school in state. If we champion ourselves a football school, we will never have to worry about that.

I understand the geography challenge. I understand the long standing rivalries, etc. I understand the fear of change. The only thing that scares me more is becoming irrelevant. Be sure, that Swofford and the ACC hierarchy could care less if that happens.

I say we take the life-boat and quit baling water off this sinking ship.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Arkansas' best years were the late 80's

May 22, 2012, 8:28 PM

BC had a great coach and a great QB, that was their only reason for being successful. Said coach is now at NCSU and is going to make them better.

Miami is the midst of a giant scandal and has had a few coaching changes. They'll bounce back, but ACC membership isn't the reason for their faltering.

Yes, our leadership is completely fubaring our bowl tie-ins, which is very frustrating. I honestly think the thing the ACC needs most to survive is for a new commissioner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Arkansas' best years were the late 80's

May 22, 2012, 8:37 PM

I think you are underestimating the power of media and ESPN in today's world. Miami is not even close to getting back IMO.

I agree that a change of leadership is needed and it could have prevented this. However, I think it's too late for that.

The money disparity alone is scary.

Oh, I know their power. It was because of ESPN

May 22, 2012, 8:43 PM

that we had a re-match for the craptacular national championship game last year. It was entirely on ESPN.

ESPN is a bandwagon though, the SEC will not remain the power it has been the last 6 years. It really only takes one or two of the ACC teams to get strong and compete. Virginia Tech almost did it a few years ago, we almost did it this year, we're close and it will happen.

Contracts will be renegotiated, we'll get more money as we become better and draw more national attention. As the SEC starts to fall, they won't make as much money. It's all cyclical.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Stay in the ACC?***

May 22, 2012, 8:28 PM

Re: Stay in the ACC?

May 22, 2012, 8:29 PM

Great post- I agree.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stay in the ACC ?

May 22, 2012, 8:29 PM

Would be a horrible mistake for clemson

May 22, 2012, 8:31 PM

very well said.... past time to get out of the ACC.. if the Big 12 is our only choice then go!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Arkansas completely fell apart when they entered the SEC...

May 22, 2012, 8:34 PM

And after 20 years, they have ZERO...ZERO...ZERO...SEC titles. They're competitive. They're decent. Hell, they're actually quite good right now. But their 2nd tier.

If you're blaming the ACC for Miami's downfall, then are you giving the Big Least credit for their dominant run in 2000-2003?

It's not the conference that's making our programs suck. It just isn't. We're doing it to ourselves with bad coaching hires. It's coaching.

So many of you people on this board (and on some other acc boards) are getting the causation backward. It's not the conference making us weak. We're screwing ourselves up, and it's making the conference weak.

Re: Arkansas completely fell apart when they entered the SEC...

May 22, 2012, 8:43 PM

I don't disagree. I think the culture of The ACC from admission standards to officials is partly to blame. Why would a top notch coach come to a league where he is at a disadvantage?

I completely agree Smitty

May 22, 2012, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Arkansas completely fell apart when they entered the SEC... ]

It's really unpopular to post here, but it's the truth and I think it applies to Clemson as well. Compare the coaches in the SEC to the coaches in the ACC. Potential-based hires versus proven hires. I mean who really knows if some of these guys are going to pan out.

May 22, 2012, 8:42 PM

Excellent post. The Big 12 will do the same thing for us that the SEC did for the coots. Secretly you know they are sweating bullets. The monetary advantage and overexposure they've been enjoying is abt to go away. Plus, I can't wait to get out from under the thumb of the tobacco rd aholes. They've always looked down on us and even though I have enjoyed watching us beat the pooh out of each and every one of them, I'll be glad to flip em off on the way out the door.

I'm with you Pawsitive but TIGERS have to own it ...

May 22, 2012, 8:45 PM

If we had beat WVU in Orange Bowl, ESPN would be talking about Clemson as a pre-season ACC favorite and a crown jewel pick-up for other conferences.

As others have said, WINNING solves everything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm with you Pawsitive but TIGERS have to own it ...

May 22, 2012, 8:46 PM

Totally agree.

Funniest reason yet. "If we stay in the ACC, ESPN will

May 22, 2012, 8:56 PM

make fun of us!"

By all means, we should choose our conference by the same criteria that seventh graders pick their friends.

I also like "The SEC is why good SEC teams are good." Why isn't that working for Ole Miss or Kentucky?

null

Re: Funniest reason yet. "If we stay in the ACC, ESPN will

May 22, 2012, 9:01 PM

They are not football schools first and foremost...

You better care about how ESPn sells our brand, because a bunch of teenagers that pick schools and make championship caliber teams do.

WAKE UP. ESPN just agreed to pay billions to show ACC games

May 22, 2012, 9:14 PM

and they are not going to use up their precious air time to tell the country now why they shouldn't pay attention to us. When we are winning like we did for the first 8 games last year they will tell everyone why we are awesome and when we are losing for each game they will say why we may have a chance at this one.

The Gameday crew STILL talks about their trip to Clemson.

You people have lost your collective minds. Nutso.

null

May 22, 2012, 9:06 PM

http://www.cemetery-hill.com/2012-articles/may/clemson-remains-on-track-for-the-big-xii.html

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic