Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Visiting Clemson from Australia!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

Visiting Clemson from Australia!

Mar 18, 2015, 11:29 PM

Hey everyone,

My husband and I are travelling from Newcastle, Australia in October and everything is being planned around attending our first Clemson game! My husband has been an avid fan ever since he became interested in the NFL as a child and we have no family/friend connection to Clemson but you wouldn't know it the way that Jake acts about his Tigers!

I am wanting any advice/tips on what we can do to get from Greenville to Clemson for game day (public transport etc) and any other suggestions on where we need to be to fully emerge ourselves in the Clemson spirit!

Can't wait to be over there and thanks in advance for reading this
Erin and Jake :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Visiting Clemson from Australia!

Mar 18, 2015, 11:32 PM

Forgot to mention - October 17th for Boston game!

Mar 19, 2015, 12:21 AM

Awesome, happy for you !! As time nears and plans are formalized, if expectations are not met, contact me and help / rescue will be there. Always great to meet new friends. You are welcome our tailgate, bring only your smiles. Our tailgate is simple compared to the normal Tiger tailgate, but what is ours is yours. O'tay, even more excitement to this season, Go Tigers !!
or

Mar 19, 2015, 12:26 AM

Not sure why the system excluded my contact info. tgrantham@sbcglobal.net. Or thad.o.Grantham@lmco.com

Mar 19, 2015, 12:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Visiting Clemson from Australia! ]

Not sure why the system excluded my contact info. tgrantham@sbcglobal.net. Or thad.o.Grantham@lmco.com

Mar 23, 2015, 12:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Visiting Clemson from Australia! ]

Hi CAtiger82!

How very kind of you! Thanks so much for you lovely offer, I will definitely hold on to your email and keep you in the loop of what our plans will be once we have more finalised!!

Thanks again,
Erin and Jake

Mar 18, 2015, 11:38 PM

Best of luck and I hope you both love your first visit to Clemson. Beautiful campus and great fans (family) I wish we were going to that game we would be more than welcome to give you a lift from Greenville. If our plans change I will let you know

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Mar 23, 2015, 12:34 AM

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the well wishes! We might see you at the game :)

Erin

GDay Tiger Mates ! You will surely have PLENTY of

Mar 18, 2015, 11:44 PM

replies to this in the morning - EDT US . . .

Be patient - you will be WARMLY welcomed . . . it is an experience like none other.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: GDay Tiger Mates ! You will surely have PLENTY of

Mar 19, 2015, 12:02 AM

I agree. You will not forget your experience here. Unbelievable. Hope you have a great, great trip.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CLEM in Cadence Count...1,2,3,4...1,2,3,4....

Mar 19, 2015, 12:09 AM

Now your Hubby has to yell out the rest of this military chant.. OR he can't attend the game!

LOL & GoTiGERS..keep RoCKing it!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CLEM in Cadence Count...1,2,3,4...1,2,3,4....

Mar 23, 2015, 1:15 AM

Haha I yelled it to him and he yelled the rest of the chant in response, does it count if it's off-key?! Lol I think I need to practice though as I am always out of sync! Thanks for the support lightbulbbill!! :)

Re: GDay Tiger Mates ! You will surely have PLENTY of

Mar 23, 2015, 12:35 AM [ in reply to Re: GDay Tiger Mates ! You will surely have PLENTY of ]

You were both very correct, cannot wrap my head around all of the wonderful responses we have gotten!! Thanks for your responses :)

Mar 19, 2015, 12:27 AM

To help you with one part of your question...

I do not believe that there is any consistent public transport from Greenville to the Clemson game.
The distance is approximately 30 miles (48 km).
- UBER is supposedly illegal in SC, so you cannot use that ride share option.

You could rent a car. However, where you can and will park will be limited.There is public parking, but most fans have some specific place that they pay handsomely to reserve their parking space (season ticket holders and others)
- Traffic gets tough and congested from Greenville to Clemson. With no traffic the trip might take you 40 minutes
- On Gameday - depending on when you leave Greenville - it could take you 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Would recommend that you get to the stadium area (Lot 5) 2.5 hours before kickoff - to see Tiger Walk and enjoy the atmosphere.
Also go into the stadium earlier than you might think to make sure you see and experience Running Down The Hill.

Gameday at Clemson is a wonderful experience.

I would encourage you to reach out to a Clemson Club in advance and see if you can car pool/ride with someone and tailgate with them. That would be the best way to enjoy the full experience.
- Greenville Clemson Club on Facebook
- contact the school
- contact Clemson alumni associations

An option also is to line up to stay the weekend at Clemson for that game - Check in Friday and Check out Sunday. Book early. Might make it easier for you to get to Clemson easier and enjoy time there.
Good luck.

I used Uber twice this past wknd

Mar 19, 2015, 1:39 PM

That will be pricey though. But it is a possibility.

Re: I used Uber twice this past wknd

Mar 23, 2015, 12:39 AM

Also noted! Thankyou!

Mar 23, 2015, 12:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Visiting Clemson from Australia! ]

Hi there sadmba!

Many thanks for your detailed reply, I have taken everything on board for our next stage of planning!! I'm saving what you wrote because I'm sure I will keep coming back to it just to double check what you recommended :)

Suggestion. Get in contact with David Hood on Tigernet.

Mar 19, 2015, 8:28 AM

It should make for a very interesting story/article.

You may end up being celebrated Aussie-Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Suggestion. Get in contact with David Hood on Tigernet.

Mar 23, 2015, 12:40 AM

Hi Tigersense

What a great idea! I'll let you know how I get on and whether you can expect to see our Aussie faces anytime soon!! :)

My suggestion

Mar 19, 2015, 8:50 AM

Go ahead and start the citizenship application. You are never going to want to leave...
As far as getting from Greenville to Tiger Town, renting a car and getting there early and walking or contacting one of the Clemson Clubs like the above posts say is probably a good idea.

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Re: My suggestion

Mar 23, 2015, 12:42 AM

Haha, I think I'm already convinced!! From just what I've seen from the Clemson family online I am beyond excited now!

That's homecoming weekend so it will be busy...

Mar 19, 2015, 9:18 AM

with lots of activities going on. If you can get up to Clemson the night before for Tigerama it is worth the trip. Friday night downtown will be rocking as will Bowman Field with the Homecoming floats.

There is so much that makes Clemson special outside of game day. If you can get there early Friday spend time touring the campus and have ice cream at the Hendrix center...maybe visit the botanical gardens, downtown, etc..

There is no place on earth like Clemson and there are no better fans. Enjoy!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's homecoming weekend so it will be busy...

Mar 20, 2015, 3:50 PM

Definitely do as this person states. Book early and get to Clemson early.

Re: That's homecoming weekend so it will be busy...

Mar 23, 2015, 12:44 AM [ in reply to That's homecoming weekend so it will be busy... ]

Thanks tigermaniac! Have planned in my head that we definitely need to be there Friday to soak up all Clemson has to offer, now just to confirm bookings!! Love the idea of Homecoming floats too- it's something so foreign to us Australians!! Thanks again :)

Mar 19, 2015, 10:01 AM

I recommend hooking up with the Greenville Clemson Club to get a ride over for game day. The traffic is mind boggling on gameday. You can make the drive fron Greenville to Clemson in 45 minutes, then be stuck in traffic for 2 hours. Leave much earlier than you imagine, and enjoy the tailgateing around the stadium. If you have trouble finding a Greenville Clemson Club member, I'll contact the president of the Austin Clemson club for contacts. Yes, I am a Clemson fan living in the Austin texas area. I graduated from Clemson in 1971. My wife had a Grandfather that graduated in 1909. Her parents went to all home Clemson games for 40 years.The Austin Texas area has about 600 graduates that live here. We watch football games together at Sports Bars and personal homes. Good luck.

Mar 20, 2015, 7:26 PM

Hey, Tenniswarrior! Just read your post about your wife's grandfather graduating form Clemson. My grandfather graduated from Clemson in 1909, as well. He played on the football team. I bet they knew each other. My grandfather was Porter Caughman and he was from Columbia. He was wise enough to leave that city! My father graduated in 1939 and I graduated in 1978. My husband graduated in 1976. We are Tigers through and through! As for he folks coming from Australia, welcome to Tiger Town. It will be a trip you will never forget!

Mar 23, 2015, 12:50 AM

Thanks tigeranne!

Mar 23, 2015, 12:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Visiting Clemson from Australia! ]

Hi tenniswarrior56

Wow!! Would hate to be stuck in that traffic! Many thanks for your offer of contacts in the Austin Clemson Club, I will let you know how I get on and if I am needing further help!! It sounds lovely that you still get together to support a team for so long - hope you all enjoy the next game :) thanks, Erin

I definitely recommend renting a car

Mar 19, 2015, 10:23 AM

Clemson/Greenville is in a very beautiful area of the country. You can see the mountains in the distance depending on where you are. If you get the chance visit Table Rock park north of Greenville. Great place for a picnic and the views are breahtaking. (No alcohol allowed in the park)

Renting a car is definitely your best option. Buy insurance on the car as any auto insurance you have will probably not be effective in the U.S. Get over to Clemson on Friday night and enjoy the festivities. I also recommend dining at one of the downtown Greenville restaurants and taking a walk around Falls Park. Soby's, Rick Erwin's, The Lazy Goat and High Cotton are always good choices. Soby's is my personal favorite. The restaurants are fine dining and will cost a little but you'll never forget the experience.

If you have any questions send me a T-mail. I'll be happy to help as much as I can. I've lived in Greenville for 22 years so I can make tons of recommendations.

Re: I definitely recommend renting a car

Mar 23, 2015, 12:53 AM

How kind of you Gordita! We really appreciate your offer to contact you further. Yours is one of the posts that I am recording down all the info you suggested so I can make sure I tick everything off the list!! Will let you know if I've got any more questions for you :)

Mar 19, 2015, 11:04 AM

Welcome! Hope y'all enjoy your visit.
I strongly recommend renting a car at the greenville airport and seeing the sights in the Upstate/western NC.

Mar 23, 2015, 12:54 AM

Thank you very much! I'll keep that in mind for the next stage of planning :)

"His Tigers "

Mar 19, 2015, 11:26 AM

Might be the coolest post I have ever read.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "His Tigers "

Mar 23, 2015, 12:56 AM

Haha glad you enjoyed!! (Another snippet for you of how committed he is, he refused to have the star/angel on top of our last christmas tree because it just HAD to be a Tigers cap!) thanks for your post :)

Wait, Clemson isn't in the NFL!?***

Mar 19, 2015, 11:41 AM

Re: Wait, Clemson isn't in the NFL!?***

Mar 23, 2015, 1:00 AM

You know what I mean! Haha.. No one in Australia actually knows about the college level of games and just how huge they are, us Aussies first picture of American football is just the NFL and then the lucky ones delve deeper and that's how Jake picked his college team :)

You definitely want to leave Greenville

Mar 19, 2015, 12:29 PM

as early as possible in the morning. If you beat traffic, you can get there and park without much trouble. Lots to do around the campus on gameday, so you want to have as much time as possible to explore and take it all in.

Enjoy!!

Re: You definitely want to leave Greenville

Mar 23, 2015, 1:01 AM

Thanks for the advice and well wishes CU2013!! :)

Mar 19, 2015, 12:40 PM

this is quite a good list of to-do suggestions.

http://www.10best.com/destinations/south-carolina/clemson/

Mar 23, 2015, 1:01 AM

Will check that one out, thanks TS_Tiger!!

Took a friend from Melbourne to the 2003 UVa game.

Mar 19, 2015, 1:10 PM

It was his first experience attending an American sporting event. A) He got on immediately, and B) enjoyed a great game. He's been a Clemson fan ever since.

My advice is to go with someone the first time. It can be confusing for a first timer.

Re: Took a friend from Melbourne to the 2003 UVa game.

Mar 23, 2015, 1:02 AM

I am beginning to think this is an experience we will never forget! Thanks for your comment :)

VERY cool!

Mar 19, 2015, 2:32 PM

you'll have a blast at your first clemson game.
have fun!

Re: VERY cool!

Mar 23, 2015, 1:03 AM

Thanks very much :)

If i were you, i would try to stay at

Mar 19, 2015, 3:06 PM

University Inn. Its a hotel right outside of downtown Clemson and within about 4-5 miles of waking distance to the stadium. The walk isn't that bad, you get to walk through downtown Clemson and you don't have to pay for parking. Traffic in Clemson after the football games SUCK so i would definitely recommend staying at that hotel or somewhere near the stadium so you dont have to worry about taking your car. Good luck and i hope you and your husband have a great time. Go tigers!

Re: If i were you, i would try to stay at

Mar 23, 2015, 1:04 AM

Thanks for you suggestions and well wishes' will look into the accommodation now! :)

Mar 20, 2015, 3:27 PM

Erin,

I am so excited to hear that you and your husband are planning to come visit Clemson! My husband is a born and raised Novocastrian. I am a SC native and Clemson graduate who studied at the Uni of Newcastle for a semester back in 2005, which is how my husband and I met. We lived in Newcastle for 5 years after getting married but now live in Greenville! We will have a 3-month old in October, but I at least (not sure about my husband and the baby) am planning to go to the Boston College game, when you and your husband are planning be here. I will be happy to give you guys a lift to Clemson from Greenville and show you around once we get there. You’re also more than welcome to join my family’s tailgate at some point if you would like. Feel free to contact me about anything and to keep us in the loop about your plans. My email is catherine.s.ryan@gmail.com. I hope to have the chance to meet you in October!

Catherine Ryan=

Mar 20, 2015, 4:05 PM

That is a very generous offer and seems like your best bet. It is the Clemson way!

Mar 23, 2015, 1:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Visiting Clemson from Australia! ]

Lovely Catherine!

I literally could not believe what I was reading when I got your response! Unbelievable! Such a small world at times, I went to UoN and graduated about 2 years ago now! I'm sure you can relate that I don't miss the mosquitoes haha... I would absolutely love to keep in contact with you and try and meet up! That is so generous of you both, and congratulations on the pending bundle of joy.

I will email you the second we have more of our plans finalised, should be in about a fortnight or so (I'll be emailing from my uni email address so at least you may recognise it!!)

Thanks again and all the best until then,
Erin and Jake :)

What are...things never posted on a coot board ever, Alex.

Mar 20, 2015, 4:06 PM

You're in for a treat you guys!

Re: What are...things never posted on a coot board ever, Alex.

Mar 23, 2015, 1:05 AM

I'm beginning to think so!! Haha

Mar 20, 2015, 7:02 PM

Tagging this so I can reply later.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Firstly, the fact you are Australian

Mar 20, 2015, 7:15 PM

pretty much makes you awesome. Every Aussie I ever met is this description, including when I went there for two summers in 80 and 81 as a young man. Ya'll call us Yanks but no one here know that term Yanks and will think you're talking about the NY Yankees. Get used to "ya'll" also.

Greenville to Clemson depends on a little the side of Greenville you are on, but it's mostly an interstate drive unless you know a few back road companions to guide you. There is no public transportation of noteworthiness, it's mostly about pooling with someone in a car and going down.

Immersion in Clemson on game day can only be experienced. Get there hours before game time and get parking early b/c it's a real zoo, and the tailgating is so sprawled everywhere with all the tents and cookouts on every lawn and surface that you'll be blown away. Hope you can hook up with a tailgating group. It's amazing to see a little town of 10,000(which I grew up in, by the way) transform into 150,000 rabid zealots, a lot of whom don't even go into the game.

Just get down there, tour the campus and downtown, on foot, because everything's pretty compact and reachable on foot, and mix into everything. Dont' get too "pissed" though (not an American term, at least as regards drinking)

Re: Firstly, the fact you are Australian

Mar 23, 2015, 1:11 AM

Haha , why thankyou silvavocati!! Hope you enjoyed your visit to Down Under! I did throw a "ya'll" into a conversation the other day and thought I was very clever ha. I can't believe how exciting all of the celebrations sound, our sports games don't even reach near the scale of what I suspect we will experience in October!! I will be sure to wear good walking shoes for exploring and will limit our alcohol intake! (How funny that pissed isn't an alcohol related term there, guess they wouldn't understand "pissed as a newt" then, not that I really understand that either haha, crazy Australians!)

are you fans of courtney barnett?

Mar 20, 2015, 7:33 PM

she's quite the buzz at sxsw.

Re: are you fans of courtney barnett?

Mar 23, 2015, 1:13 AM

I've heard of her before, might have to add that to my list of things to look in to! Thanks!

Link to "Guide to a Clemson Weekend"

Mar 23, 2015, 5:43 AM

Dates and times are old...but most of the info is still very pertinent.

http://tigerpregameshow.blogspot.com/2011/09/guide-to-clemson-weekend-auburn.html

Welcome to Clemson!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have friends who live here in Clemson and are fixing up

Mar 24, 2015, 8:10 PM

the downstairs of their house to rent for football weekends. their house is walking distance from the stadium. It's funny because they were in Australia a year ago for a conference and also have a friend who comes over fairly often from Australia. if you could give me your email i can have them get in touch if you're interested. You can send it thru tmail if you'd like. I didn't respond before since I hadn't seen them for a week, but they stopped this evening and said they'd really like to do this if you'd be interested. In any case I'm sure you'll love Clemson!

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic