Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Virginia Tech rumor
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 7,572

Virginia Tech rumor

Oct 21, 2015, 1:34 PM

Friend of mine used to be on the coaching staff at Va Tech and still has friends there. Says they will announce Beamers' retirement the week of the UNC game. And that they are in discussions with Tom Herman to be their next coach.

We will see if true, but if so, will be a good hire for them, I think.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Virginia Tech rumor

Oct 21, 2015, 1:37 PM

I hate to ask but who is Tom Herman?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

michelle's husband and the father of her 3 kids...

Oct 21, 2015, 1:39 PM

was that helpful? did that help?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: michelle's husband and the father of her 3 kids...

Oct 21, 2015, 1:42 PM

I hate to ask but hoo is michelle?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

mrs herman and the mother of her 3 children...***

Oct 21, 2015, 1:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: mrs herman and the mother of her 3 children...***

Oct 21, 2015, 1:44 PM

is she sure they are hers?

these are the good questions ####...***

Oct 21, 2015, 1:46 PM

always here to help,

Oct 21, 2015, 1:47 PM

;)

Former OC of Ohio state... current HC Of the undefeated Houston cougars...***

Oct 21, 2015, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Virginia Tech rumor ]

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Peewee's right-hand man.***

Oct 21, 2015, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Virginia Tech rumor ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

groce.***

Re: Peewee's right-hand man.***

Oct 21, 2015, 6:24 PM [ in reply to Peewee's right-hand man.*** ]

I wouldn't want to touch that one .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2015, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Virginia Tech rumor ]

Well, if this is true, so much for Bud Foster being a loyal and dedicated asst coach/coordinator and Head Coach in waiting?

Oct 21, 2015, 2:35 PM

My question is, where did the bud foster rumors come from? The whole coach in waiting thing. I've heard that was the case for years now, but it's always from us fans. How do we know he even wants a HC job? He may, but he may not. I've just assumed he was the next HC because I've heard everybody else say it. They may have discussed it with him and he may not want any part of it. Or they just don't feel like he would be the right man. I don't know, and I really don't care either way, as long as they don't hire Dabo.

Oct 21, 2015, 2:54 PM

In some ways Foster's loyalty to VT has sort of tabled him. No one aside from VT would really consider him for HC, and he does have a lot of off-the-field hijinks on his resume - besides his numerous affairs, I'd also heard he was a heavy drinker who had had some, uhm, incidences not unlike the Steve Sarkisian thing. Foster also doesn't present well. He's a great DC, he is not the sort of guy who has a polished enough public persona to be able to present well enough to be the head of a program.

If Foster was really serious about ever being a head man, he'd have had to have left his comfort zone at VT (like Venables did with Oklahoma), taken some public speaking classes, and rehabilitated his image some. There will be a sizeable minority of VT fans that want him anyway, but I think an offensive mind like Tom Herman, combined with Foster staying on as DC, would be a winning combination at VT. They hadly need to re-invigorate their offense so I would say there is strong credence to these rumors.

VT, IMHO, will be one of the prime job openings this year, probably right behind Southern Cal. The school is a potential sleeper almost up there with Clemson in the late '90's, and playing in the ACC Coastal, a division considered wide-open, a good coach could win and win big there. It's a career-maker for somebody and all the prospective HC's out there will know it. VT's consistent struggles on offense will mean they will definitely be looking for a coach from the offensive side of the ball, which probably leaves out Kirby Smart, so you are probably talking Tom Herman or Justin Fuente from Memphis.

Wouldn't shock me. There's going to be a ton of offseason movement this year, whatever else happens.

Oct 21, 2015, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Virginia Tech rumor ]

You know-the guy from Herman's Hermits.

The father of the dude on NCIS.***

Oct 21, 2015, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Virginia Tech rumor ]

Pee Wee's dad***

Oct 21, 2015, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Virginia Tech rumor ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I doubt it.

Oct 21, 2015, 1:42 PM

I call bullchit on your friend's report. VT has some of the most faithful fans and the University has allegiance which embarrasses most institutions. Foster has been waiting on the HCing job for at least a decade.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2015, 1:43 PM

NO WAY THEY ARE IN DISCUSSION WITH HERMAN. HIS PEOPLE MAYBE, NOT HERMAN.

Always assumed it would be Foster to step in...I could

see Herman to UVA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

foster inked a 5 year deal late 2014 with no provisions

Oct 21, 2015, 2:02 PM

for HCIW, but who knows?

he's been rumored to have passed up a number of offers over the years, is well paid and very invested in the community.

he might be OK with remaining as the DC and i imagine most HC's would love to have him in the position?

i don't know how reasonable that might be, but all possibilities are in play.

i don't know that vpi&su planned for beamer to be there another 5 years when they tabled that 5 year deal for foster.

Has the Head Coach In Waiting deal worked out for

Oct 21, 2015, 2:15 PM

anybody, ever? People still use the term a lot but it seems to be pretty big failure. Maybe Jimbo Fisher held such a title, but Bobby Bowden didn't really want to leave. If Jimbo was named HCIW, they get a 75% on that deal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

75% seems low, but yes jimbo fisher. they won a title

Oct 21, 2015, 2:26 PM

and are the monster they were at the height of bobby's tenure.

bobby might not have wanted to leave, but they moved him out to avoid paying the $5mil that Jimbo's contract as HCIW guaranteed and i can't find a fsu fan that is disappointed with bobby being gone.

how many HCIW have there been? muschamp and tony franklin are the only 2 others that come to mind. i think the term a lot of times is an effort to prevent quality coordinators from jumping ship and allowing public entities to pay them more.

if they remain in their coordinator jobs longer because of it, then that portion of it seems successful.

For some reason I thought I recalled more and that

Oct 21, 2015, 2:31 PM

Foster certainly had been named that. I give FSU 75% because well my scale moved in 25% increments.

100% Head coach gets swan song season, new coach gets job and team is good. Championship only required if exiting coach had recently won a championship.

75% Just exactly what happened at FSU

50% HICW does take over, but fails miserably. Not sure that has played out at all.

0% Texas situation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

texas had a great coordinator and kept him longer because

Oct 21, 2015, 2:44 PM

of the title so i can't downgrade their marks. it was about the time muschamp left that texas began their dive as did muschamp's career or his prospects as head coach and well, florida's tied to it too. maybe the texas marriage was the best for all involved?

if anything i'd adjust your scale, but thanks for the explanation and makes mo better sense now.

bobby has admitted he'd become lazy on the recruiting trail. jimbo put in the work needed to readdress both lines and the fan base was rewarded with their first national title in years. they'd also languished in the acc, which was as telling if not more so and are now everyone's front runner in most years. i hope dabo changes this because it's tiring.

and yeps, bud foster was not named HCIW in his latest contract or at anytime. there were rumors swirling in the last round of talks and who knows what's been discussed behind closed doors?

over the years there's all kinds of rumors that have surrounded foster with some tied to his reasons for never leaving vpi, but again who knows?

Yeah, there's no way Foster isn't taking over when

Oct 21, 2015, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Always assumed it would be Foster to step in...I could ]

Beamer steps down.

Beamer needs to leave but he's not doing it unless he knows he's turning over the keys to Foster. The guy has more than paid his dues considering he could've left 15 years ago for another HC job.

Re: Yeah, there's no way Foster isn't taking over when

Oct 22, 2015, 6:14 AM

I don't remember ever hearing or reading that Beamer wanted to turn his job over to Foster. Now I have read that he wanted to turn it over to his son, but that was with the old AD... VT has a new AD and I don't think he'll go for that kind of foolishness.

As for Herman, he will be sought after by several schools. VT would be foolish not to talk to him, as well as Fuente (Memphis) and maybe Rhule (Temple).

VT is at the point where tickets sales are starting to drop, which is the ultimate reason coaches lose their jobs, right? I do think it's still a prime job because of (a) VA recruiting is still very good, though Beamer has been losing out to Alabama, FSU, etc. for years now, and (b) fan support is still there, just waiting for someone to get behind.

That's my 2 cents.

I guess you'd know more than me but I always

Oct 22, 2015, 2:28 PM

thought Foster has been the next guy unofficially for over ten years.

Otherwise I don't see why he would not have left for all kinds of opportunities since 2000.

I have a co-worker who is VT alum....

Oct 21, 2015, 2:04 PM

He is also pretty well-connected within their athletic department. While he did not mention anything about Tom Herman, he did say that his sources within the athletic department have told him this will likely be Beamers last season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

When did schools start giving permission to other schools

Oct 21, 2015, 2:05 PM

to enter discussions with their coach in the middle of a season? Wishful thinking on the part of VT fans.

Re: When did schools start giving permission to other schools

Oct 21, 2015, 2:59 PM

Agents talk not the coach.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

vaTech

Oct 21, 2015, 3:42 PM

Herman likes Texas recruiting bed... Don't see him at Hokie Hill

Beamer had a good thing for a while... Hampton Va recruiting has thinned out

I see Campbell getting that job.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2015, 8:39 PM

Well I live in Memphis in have some a few,not many, connections but I can tell you for a fact VA techs assistant ad held the same title at Memphis and was one of the people that brought Fuentes in. They are close and have the same representation and it's looking like beamer will retire. The assistant ad left Memphis on bad terms and would love to stick it to them by taking their coach and by all accounts tech is the best fit and secretly where he would want to go. Don't know if it would happen but I wouldn't put money against it. Foster has waited but I also grew up in VA and know several people there and the belief is that fosters not the person you want front and center representing you. Main reason that he's interviewed for head jobs before but never got one. He doesn't come off well at all. I can guarantee you this, Fuentes will not go to an sec school. It will be tech or Miami if they open up. If not don't be surprised to see him stay in Memphis.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2015, 7:15 AM

I heard that Spurrier is available and VT is in talks with him now that he is unemployed. Foster should look for another team IMO. The VT O makes his D look bad.

Replies: 34
| visibility 7,572
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic