Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Vintage retirement home backsplash update
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Vintage retirement home backsplash update

Jan 23, 2013, 8:26 AM

Did the grouting last night. I just have some finish work to do now (caulk, face plates, etc). I'll probably do some under cabinet lighting sometime soon.

pic (I'll post more when I'm done since you guys are so excited about it)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does the carpet match the

Jan 23, 2013, 8:29 AM

pubes?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks pretty good.

Jan 23, 2013, 8:30 AM

Why are you calling it a "vintage retirement home backsplash"?

The junge interior decorators called it old and dated

Jan 23, 2013, 8:36 AM

so, I lutzed and decided to keep it going.

I kinda like it. It does have a "vintage" feel.

Jan 23, 2013, 8:53 AM

Nice work.

it has a moroccon feel to it and the wife really

Jan 23, 2013, 9:01 AM

likes it, so I do too.

Looks pretty good. Nice work.***

Jan 23, 2013, 8:32 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Gracias,

Jan 23, 2013, 8:37 AM

bought a wet saw and tile snips and borrowed a score and break deal. It's surprisingly easy with the right tools.

Yep, gotta have the tools. I have done things both ways,

Jan 23, 2013, 8:39 AM

wait, umm, I mean, I have done things with a tool or without a tool. Ah dangit!

You gotta have the sh!t. It's easier that way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

before pic

Jan 23, 2013, 8:35 AM

I actually like this better than that crappy backsplash.

Jan 23, 2013, 10:35 AM

;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

I'm going to be doing undercabinet lighting soon, still

Jan 23, 2013, 8:45 AM

unsure exactly how I want to do it.

The LEDs are dirt cheap: http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Flexible-Lighting-Strip-White/dp/B005GL5UG2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358948687&sr=8-2&keywords=hitlights+led+strip

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out the direction I want to

Jan 23, 2013, 8:49 AM

go. I don't want to spend lots of money. I have a fluorescent light above the sink now that I plan on removing and either using the existing wiring to hard wire them in or put in an outlet to plug them in (either way, be operated by a light switch).

I've looked at the xenon puck lights (seems like a good price and fairly simple). These like you have would be a challenge for my layout, I think.

Wait, just read the description better, may go with somethin

Jan 23, 2013, 8:51 AM

like this now.

It'll really come down to what my wife thinks on the amount

Jan 23, 2013, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out the direction I want to ]

of work required. We have a gap in the cabinets where the sink is, so bridging that gap will be difficult.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I CAN HELP YOU BRIDGE HER GAP*******

Jan 23, 2013, 8:56 AM

Yeah, our cabinets are gaped around a window, but

Jan 23, 2013, 8:58 AM [ in reply to It'll really come down to what my wife thinks on the amount ]

that's where the fluorescent is. I wonder if these would be bright enough to replace that with.

I have about 20 or so feet that I would want to do, maybe more if I put them on top of the uppers as well.

I do like that these strips provide a better wash of light instead of a "spotlight". We just want to brighten the kitchen up a bit and give more light when working on the counters.

On Amazon, just search for HitLights LED strips

Jan 23, 2013, 9:15 AM

I have a strip of the cool white (which I like) and the warm white (which my wife likes) and can take any pictures of it if you want.

They also have a double density version of the strips if you want more light. They do throw a good amount of light, not sure if they could properly replace the fluorescent light. You really want to keep them out of sight because they're not the prettiest (see picture).

Probably go the warm route.

Jan 23, 2013, 9:17 AM

Pics would be helpful. I'm about to start reading reviews.

If I go with these (probably 2 strands)

Jan 23, 2013, 9:25 AM [ in reply to On Amazon, just search for HitLights LED strips ]

What transformer do I need? I'm not very smart on the electrical side of things.

link

Jan 23, 2013, 9:26 AM

http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-White-Double-Density-Flexible/dp/B00710K0DE/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1358950685&sr=1-1&keywords=hitlights+double+density

Re: If I go with these (probably 2 strands)

Jan 23, 2013, 9:32 AM [ in reply to If I go with these (probably 2 strands) ]

I have this one and it works well, the hitlights LED strip come pre-wired on one end to accept this plug and on the other end is just the standard two wires. (obviously you'll be cutting them and will need to create your own terminations on it.

Power supply: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ME2HMQ/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

I'm planning on using these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062RBR84/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i03

Planning on cutting the wire so it is an easy termination to the LED strip and then just splice the wire with speaker wire to bridge cabinets.

Hmm, not sure if that could power two double density

Jan 23, 2013, 9:34 AM

strips, I'll look into more options.

?

Jan 23, 2013, 9:37 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers-Power-Suppply-Driver-Transformer/dp/B0034GUEY4/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_z

looking at the double density, the connectors

Jan 23, 2013, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: If I go with these (probably 2 strands) ]

won't work. Looks like I'll be soldering. Would that power supply work for a full set of the double dentistry? ( I really have no idea on electricity)

No, a full strip of double density will be pulling

Jan 23, 2013, 9:42 AM

48W, I'd get this one: http://www.hitlights.com/ls-adapter5a.html

You won't be using two complete strips of double densities which would be 96W, so I'd go with the 60W supply.

Also, I just figured out how I'm going to control mine: http://www.hitlights.com/ls-dimmer8a.html

If you watch the video at the end it has their touch dimmer which is pretty cool.

As much of a slob as I am with coffee I'd probably...

Jan 23, 2013, 8:55 AM

use caulk in the joint between the backsplash and the countertop. Grout and coffee (unless they are the same color) don't work that well together.

I'd certainly use caulk around the window's trim. The tile will always be a source of condensation which may damage the wood. Caulk will make a better seal for the wood there and it pretty easy to deal with if you ever repaint.

Caulk isn't as difficult as folks make it out to be. Put it right in the crack, wipe it with a wet finger then use a sponge to remove residue from the trim and tile.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes sir, I have the matching caulk ready to go.

Jan 23, 2013, 8:59 AM

Around the window, cabinets and where the backsplash meets the counters.

I keep reading the last sentence over and over***

Jan 23, 2013, 9:02 AM [ in reply to As much of a slob as I am with coffee I'd probably... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

Just a friendly helpful hint

Jan 23, 2013, 9:03 AM

I don't think the electrical outlet is gonna work with that blue tape stuff on it!

the work looks good

Jan 23, 2013, 1:46 PM

but i have to agree with the others.
not loving it. as is or with that coutertop.

but if your honey likes it, so be it.
all that matters.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic