Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Vic Beasley Draft Status - Dabo very smart!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,485

Vic Beasley Draft Status - Dabo very smart!

Dec 16, 2013, 9:26 AM

After 2 seasons from switching from a running back to a defensive end Vic has put himself in a position to be a potential first round pick. First of all, Kudos to Vic, that in itself is such an amazing feat. Secondly, to be able to really make it in the NFL you have to prove you are more than just a 1 year wonder as a starter. To come back to Clemson for one more year of work and to break the national sack record would solidify Vic as a top 5 candidate, and I don't have to say that the money that comes with a top 5 candidate is infinitely better than a late first round pick. It is the difference between being injured and being a multi-millionaire and being injured and not being able to retire. Vic deserves to be in the top 5 in the NFL draft, but that will not happen unless he returns to Clemson for one final year. He is an amazing defensive end and I only want what is best for him and all of our Clemson Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

most peeps i've seen project vic to olb or are there others

Dec 16, 2013, 9:34 AM

saying he'll put his hand in the dirt in a 4-3?

if he's looking at first round keesh while not playing his college position, why not go?

i would think your scenario makes more sense if he was destined for de.

can't be an easy decision with so many saying he's a 1st rounder now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most have him at OLB because of his weight

Dec 16, 2013, 9:41 AM

His frame isn't built to put on much more weight then he has right now. He's done surprisingly well against the run this year and is a terror as a pass rusher. Most NFL teams need a pure pass rusher whether he be a DE or OLB. I think Beasley is going to get a first round grade from his production this year as well as the combine stats he'll put up, he's speed is the thing to watch for.

he leverages well on the edge, no doubt. nfl loves guys

Dec 16, 2013, 9:45 AM

they can point at the qb & say fetch; even more at a premium with mobility at the pos ever increasing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our DL as a whole does well in leverage

Dec 16, 2013, 9:49 AM

Grady is the best, a testament to his wrestling days. That sport is all about leverage. However we've yet to have a team line up and run the ball down our throats. Most of UGA's success came off our toss sweeps where the LBs or safeties got caught out of position. We stone walled BC, GT and even SC aside from Shaw running on us, though that's not why we lost the game.

Re: Our DL as a whole does well in leverage

Dec 16, 2013, 9:56 AM

dabo will all ways tell a player to not go early. he even told nuke not to go last year. imo to tell Sammy not to go is absurd. he will be in the top 10 or higher according to draft reports. as far as Beasley, he will have to make his own decision.

Re: Our DL as a whole does well in leverage

Dec 16, 2013, 10:19 AM

Wrong. Dabo has basically said Sammy should go he is consistent in his message and that is if you're not a guaranteed first rounder you should come back. He's not the only one, BV has basically said the same thing as well as other coaches around the country.

mmhm, hobby, brooks & bv have done a great job with our

Dec 16, 2013, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Our DL as a whole does well in leverage ]

front 7. reed looks like he's doing some good things on the back end. always room for improvement.

love shuey to death, but i think cu gets better in the front 7 next year with more mobility at lb. he's a great read/react guy playing downhill in the run game, but gets hurt in space. hopefully improved mobility at the lb spot will cut down on some of the qb scampers. and i agree, that's not why cu lost. holding scar to 200 below their avg at home was good work by the d. they're a well coached team and are going to make plays.

Re: Vic Beasley Draft Status - Dabo very smart!

Dec 16, 2013, 9:37 AM

I think that to move up, he needs one of two things and the more lucrative probably won't happen. If, and it's a big if, he can gain 10-15 lbs of solid weight, then he's a top 5-10 draft pick at DE. That's by far the more lucrative option, but he's had trouble keeping on good weight since he got here. He came in at 215 and as a redshirt junior, he's only up to 235. If he keeps up his average of 5 lbs a year, he'd be a 240 lb DE, and maybe play at 245 if he comes back next year.

Another option is for him to prove himself to be good enough in pass coverage to play OLB, which he's said he likes more than DE. He didn't see the field much despite less than stellar play at OLB while he was at Clemson. I would think that means that against more athletic offensive players, he would be even more challenged at the next level. Also, high end OLBs tend to be mid to late first rounders, not top 5-10.

The really good news is that he has nothing but good options. If he goes early, the worst case scenario is 2nd-3rd round and probably making an NFL roster at OLB. The best case scenario for leaving early is mid-late first round, which means more money and guaranteed money. Both those options are pretty attractive.

If, however, he comes back, he gets to play his senior year at Clemson with the teamates he loves. He gets another year of school and probably either his degree or more courses to make the degree he gets more useful. He probably moves up in the draft making his worst case scenario mid 2nd round and giving him a better shot at mid to early 1st round.

Only problem is, people keyed on him much more at the

Dec 16, 2013, 9:45 AM

end of the season and limited his production. Just not sure he can have the same success next year. But it would help him from a refinement/physical standpoint to return.

I just think his draft status isn't gonna change much so might as well strike now.

I think it had more to do with him playing two option teams

Dec 16, 2013, 9:52 AM

You're not going to get sacks against teams that run the triple option and even in that GT game there was two times that he was half a second away from a sack but the QB was just able to get the ball away in time. He had 2 sacks against SC so I think he's still maintaining his production.

As for next year, the return of all of our DTs and Crawford can only help Beasley. Teams can't key on him if the others win their one on one battles. Lawson and Crawford will only get better with another year and that can take pressure off of Beasley.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,485
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic