Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Really cool Oscars commercial...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 312

Really cool Oscars commercial...

Feb 10, 2020, 11:54 AM

...that features a family in Greenville my wife and I have known now for close to 30 years. The dad - who is now blind - was a former Angolan government official who was run out when his regime collapsed; I don't know the full particulars because the family is pretty close-mouthed about them, but the daughters and sons are very cool people, whatever.

Made a good commercial, anyhow. Definitely a flip-side look at immigration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGGLz2UGYQc

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when you say "flip-side"

Feb 10, 2020, 11:57 AM

do you mean "legal?"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: when you say "flip-side"

Feb 10, 2020, 12:08 PM

do you mean "legal?"

They were legal, or became so. I actually met the Pinto's youngest daughter (not in the video), right around 1990; her older twin sisters - who are apart on the right and left sides - were at University of Chicago at the time, though Natalie (the one on the right) moved back afterward. None of them were born here; though the younger daughters don't have an accent and have been thoroughly Americanized while the oldest daughter (who I don't know as well) wasn't nearly as much so.

Kind of an interesting snapshot of assimilation; the younger the kid is, the less you'd know they were even born elsewhere.

They're an intimidating family, whatever. Smart, crazy-educated (he was not joking about valuing education), most are model-gorgeous, and they speak at least a half-dozen different languages...and when they're talking to one another they speak some mix of several that I doubt anyone who wasn't a Pinto could follow.

America definitely came out ahead on the deal, whatever.

It definitely counters our widely-held Republican position that

Feb 10, 2020, 1:22 PM

all immigration is bad no matter what and all immigrants are bad people who make the country worse.

But still...that’s just one family. ALL the other ones are

null

Verizon really tried to go full woke with its commercials

Feb 10, 2020, 4:37 PM

They had another one that was full on gay advocacy. Then, of course, there was the NYT's 1619 Project commercial.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 312
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic