Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Venables concern at secondary?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 3,031

Venables concern at secondary?

Mar 16, 2018, 8:45 AM

Venables had a lot of bad things to say about secondary after scrimmage. Believe it may have a lot to do with the 3 headed monster we have throwing the football, but may have a lot to do with Edmond, Carter, and Van leaving.... hope the coming of Mario Goodrich and Kyler McMichael help this group out a lot. Yes it’s bad news, but maybe it’s WR’s and QB’s doing things well. Go Tigers!

Message was edited by: ClintonTiger88®

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Venables concern at CB?

Mar 16, 2018, 8:58 AM

Its just coach speak. The next scrimmage the defense will be great and the offense will do well. A couple of days ago Swinney was worried about the wr and telling how the dbs were the best group so far. Now the dbs suck.

Also Tankersley has been gone for almost 2 years now bud

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2018, 9:04 AM

Yep I noticed that when I typed it lol. Meant Edmond but brain was thinking Tankersly for some reason. Sorry about that. Edmond and Carter both left which kills the depth but AJ Terrell will step it up this year as well. But yes I agree 100%.

Mar 16, 2018, 10:28 AM

Edmond was great, and a play maker, however with his injury this past year he wasn't there for a lot of the season which really helps a guy like Terrell be more prepared for this season.

I'm sure they'll cross train a safety, probably K'Von, to be a CB if there is an immediate need as well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2018, 9:18 AM

Van Smith played safety and Tankersley used up his eligibility two years ago.

We will have 7 CBs when the season starts. One is Dawkins. The other 6 are made up of:
1 Senior Four Star recruit that was ranked 113 in the country out of high school and ran the fastest 40 at the national football recruiting event.

1 junior Four Star ranked 117 in the country coming out of high school.

1 sophomore Five Star ranked 13 in the country coming out of high school.

1 redshirt freshman Four Star ranked 111 in the country coming out of high school.

2 incoming freshmen Four Stars ranked 53 and 99 in the country out of high school.

A week ago the information coming out of SPRING PRACTICE was that the WRs were inconsistent.

It's PRACTICE!

We have arguably the best talent at WR in the country.

We are thin, but we have talent; you only play 2-3 CBs at one time and we have the best front four in the country.

DON'T PANIC!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Mar 16, 2018, 9:23 AM

Yes I know Van Smith played safety, that’s why I said secondary. Smith helps CB’s in converse so that was the connection there. And yes Tankersly left 2 years ago, I initially was thinking of Edmond, but somehow Tankersly spilled out. I’m entirely sorry. But yes I agree with everything you’ve said. Just was for the sake of a topic.

Mar 16, 2018, 9:24 AM

*coverage. Sorry. Should really start double checking the things I type hahaha.

The first 3 can't be in there all time, esp. in practice

Mar 16, 2018, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Venables concern at CB? ]

He was probably talking about the subs not doing well against our excellent receivers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The first 3 can't be in there all time, esp. in practice

Mar 16, 2018, 12:24 PM

tigeron® said:

He was probably talking about the subs not doing well against our excellent receivers.

They weren't. Leanthony Williams, for instance, is a pretty durn good young CB...solid-not-spectacular 4-star tools coming out of high school, coachable, has length, has pretty good speed and can break and turn. There were times - even at the 7A level in Georgia - he looked like he was toying with his receiver in high school.

He was apparently catching fire and exploding the other day, and it's not because he suddenly turned into a bad corner. But when you've got Tee Higgins or Derion Kendrick or whatever 5-star receiver he happened to be matched up against, with 5-star QB's like Hunter Johnson or Trevor Lawrence tossing dimes to those meta-elite receivers, you can be made to look very ordinary, very quickly.

Over time such repeated crispings will make the likes of Williams far better, as long as he develops the mental toughness necessary to dig in and compete.

Over the short term, though, I'm sure it's painful.

Just think by the season how good they'll be...

Mar 16, 2018, 10:04 AM

In practice, they'll be facing either KB, HJ, CB, or TL. Most opposing QBs a'int gonna be that good.

Your posts are much more insightful and informative than

Mar 16, 2018, 10:05 AM

posts by Francis Marion®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

lol

Mar 16, 2018, 10:07 AM

:)

^ This is not me.***

Mar 16, 2018, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Just think by the season how good they'll be... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Quite obviously

Mar 16, 2018, 10:09 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Your-posts-are-much-more-insightful-and-informative-than-23273183

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Venables concern at secondary?

Mar 16, 2018, 1:10 PM

Every year Venables blasts a position group during spring, it's coach talk and he's expressing to them that they need to keep working hard, our corners are our weakest link and that's obvious seeing as our front 7 is so dominant he just wants them to keep working hard.

Replies: 14
| visibility 3,031
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic