Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can Trevor really win the heisman?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Can Trevor really win the heisman?

Jan 17, 2020, 8:28 AM

What would it take: 30 tds, 3500 yards passing, or maybe a little less if he rushes for 500 and few td's. I am just not so sure our Offensive philosophy would allow him to get these kind of numbers. I also feel as though he would have to be playing into the 4 quarter in almost every game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it'll be tough for anybody to win the Heisman at Clemson

Jan 17, 2020, 8:35 AM

with the quick trigger the coaching staff has on pulling the starters at the first sign of blowing out the opponent.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it'll be tough for anybody to win the Heisman at Clemson

Jan 17, 2020, 8:37 AM

Only way a Tiger wins it is if the rest of the ACC gets better and the starters have to play the entire game.

the only way they win it...

Jan 17, 2020, 8:40 AM

is if they quit accepting votes before the season is over.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it'll be tough for anybody to win the Heisman at Clemson

Jan 17, 2020, 1:32 PM [ in reply to it'll be tough for anybody to win the Heisman at Clemson ]

I agree. I get the reason Dabo pulls starters when ahead by 20 plus points in 2nd or 3rd quarter but sorta , kinda would like to see what he can do at least 1/2 way into 4th quarter. Seems most folks that keep up with players stats don't have a clue that Trevor probably only played 65 to 75% of most games if that much . All I kept hearing all year is about his 8 interceptions, most of those passes were him going long when it didn't matter anyway.

I agree, with our philosophy, it would be next to impossible

Jan 17, 2020, 8:39 AM

to win a Heisman as a QB at Clemson. There will be one or two, or even three people who will put up gaudy numbers next year that excite the easily excitable in the media.

Sure the Heisman is the "coveted" award in college football, but it isn't what is cracked up to be.

Until they are willing to quit allowing votes to be cast weeks before the season is over and not hold off until after the end of the season, I think truly deserving people will be left out of the running.

Thankfully, there are rewards at Clemson, on and off the field, that will pay dividends way beyond this trophy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree, with our philosophy, it would be next to impossible

Jan 17, 2020, 9:13 AM

What’s the deal with this notion that you guys are the only team that pulls your QB early in blow outs?

Joe Burrow was pulled in the late 3rd and early 4th quarter in games that were blow outs and he won the heisman.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

why are you asking me?

Jan 17, 2020, 9:18 AM

that wasn't part of what I said is the reason our QB would not win.

But if you watch our games, it was very few times that TL played more than one series in the third quarter in blowouts.

Re: why are you asking me?

Jan 17, 2020, 9:25 AM

My bad replied to the wrong poster.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Use your head for once dude !!!!

Jan 17, 2020, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Re: I agree, with our philosophy, it would be next to impossible ]

It would be a nice change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Unless Dabo makes it a priority, i don't think so.

Jan 17, 2020, 8:44 AM

And i don't see that happening. The national media will not give him the benefit of the doubt b/c they perceive our league to be a cake walk as i'm sure you've heard over and over this year. So even if he has big numbers they'll not give him credit. I can't say he doesn't have a chance bc we do have one potential top 10/top 5 matchup at Notre Dame this year. Thats the type of showcase game that if he dominates can get him in the medias good graces but its not a shoe-in or anything. Fields will again be give the reins to throw 5 TDs a game in the Big 10 b/c defenses there haven't learned how defend the pass yet. So he will more than likely have the stat advantage again. And he is a good QB too. But the media hypes the Big 10 way more than the ACC and that will be the thorn in Trevors side that he can't control. So....He would have to have a super human year.

Re: Can Trevor really win the heisman?

Jan 17, 2020, 8:49 AM

Nope. He just won’t be able to play enough full games to compile the stats needed. He also will only have one game next year against a quality opponent to have that “heisman moment”. Until the ACC greatly improves, there’s no way a Clemson player wins that award.

I lost all interest after it was stolen from DW4...

Jan 17, 2020, 8:52 AM

I think Dabo did too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Heisman is usually someone out of the blue

Jan 17, 2020, 8:54 AM

Going into the way back machine - QBs like Luck, Manning, Elway didn’t win - Trevor ain’t gonna win as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2020, 9:02 AM

Not likely. Most of the Heisman voters get their information and form their opinions based off the narrative portrayed by ESPN. They don't actually watch all the games and they're not unbiased. ESPN is going to develop a narrative based off their business model, and promoting a Clemson player will most likely not be in alignment with that.

Jan 17, 2020, 9:03 AM

Yes, I think he could, but likely won't. Mostly because of what others have said re: Dabo's rotations, etc.

The formula (I think) would be:
1. LOU and FSU improve and turn those games into "eyeball" games
2. Trevor has some insane ratio, like 36/2 TD/INT (like post-LOU this year)
3. ETN departure and new O-line put emphasis on passing game
4. ND game "could" be a prime-time Nov game of top 5/6 opponents
5. UNC has a good year and Trevor out-duels Sam Howell in ACCCG

Jan 17, 2020, 12:22 PM

parsdog said:

Yes, I think he could, but likely won't. Mostly because of what others have said re: Dabo's rotations, etc.

The formula (I think) would be:
1. LOU and FSU improve and turn those games into "eyeball" games
2. Trevor has some insane ratio, like 36/2 TD/INT (like post-LOU this year)
3. ETN departure and new O-line put emphasis on passing game
4. ND game "could" be a prime-time Nov game of top 5/6 opponents
5. UNC has a good year and Trevor out-duels Sam Howell in ACCCG

Funny you mentioned Howell a tarhole fan was telling me today that he is the best QB in the ACC. He also thought Howell had a chance of winning the heisman.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Getting back to the CFP should be the focus & main concern...

Jan 17, 2020, 9:18 AM

Impressing the Heisman voters, padding stats & risking injury are a few unnecessary distractions, that campaigning by a school, for the Heisman can conjure-

Jan 17, 2020, 9:28 AM

No.

Jan 17, 2020, 9:30 AM

I don’t think there are many “Heisman moment” opportunities on our regular season schedule.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2020, 9:30 AM

Our best chance to have a Heisman winner is for the other stat monsters to have bad defenses and rack up a couple of losses to the better teams on their schedule.

Example of best case scenario: If Bama's QB and RB have a balanced attack next year and split numbers but run through their schedule. That means most other SEC options are eliminated.

Then we need the PAC12 to be its normal self.

Then we need the BIG12 winner to have a balanced attack or maybe a change in QB part way through the year. Let's say Rattler and somebody else split time at OK and they run through their schedule. Neither will stand out.

Then we come down to Fields vs Lawrence and whichever Bama player (QB or RB) gets pushed.

Odds are with the massive OSU media presence that Fields still wins with somewhat similar numbers, but this is our best chance.

Jan 17, 2020, 9:43 AM

After what happened with Watson I say no. It only takes
one so, so performance and it ends his chances.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we're doing things right, probably not

Jan 17, 2020, 10:09 AM

If he was to win the Heisman that would mean he would have to have the numbers and stats for it. Our entire team would have to ride on his shoulders every game. Nope, if we're playing a balanced offense with skill spread out and plays properly called, no way he wins a Heisman. A Heisman is usually awarded to the player who stands out because they're often on an unbalanced team. Lamar Jackson, Cam Newton, Jameis Winston. Joe Burrows. All natty teams. But, where is Auburn now? FSU? Louisville? etc.

Nope, I'd just assume we never have a Heisman QB. Our chances of making the CFB playoff every year depends on us NOT selling our program to one star.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's limited by how much our coaches like to run the ball

Jan 17, 2020, 10:11 AM

plus the fact that there will be many games where he doesn't play much after halftime.

To win, he would have to be extremely efficient. A super high QB rating with a lot of TDs and very few INTs to compensate for playing fewer snaps.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Might sound weird

Jan 17, 2020, 10:54 AM

But his down performance in the title game may actually help his Heisman chances for next year. He know has a “redemption” ark storyline that can be pushed. Bouncing back instead of just being Mr 30-0 perfect, which the nation (outside of us) would be more likely to tune out.

Tough to do when ESPN will vote him out of the conversation

Jan 17, 2020, 12:27 PM

the instant he throws his first interception of the year. :(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2020, 1:35 PM

I've never fully understood Dabo's experience strategy. I mean I get the reps for younger players thing. But when your starters only play 2.5 quarters all year, then have to play 4 quarters in a Natty, aren't you REMOVING experience for when it actually matters?

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic