Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Unique solution for 14 team conference scheduling that will
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 754

Unique solution for 14 team conference scheduling that will

Nov 13, 2013, 8:50 AM

eliminate long gaps between times teams play each other. I say the ACC should shift 1 team from each division each year to the other division (for 1 year only). If you switch a team and their permanent crossover rival at the same time, a team would switch once every 7 years - resulting in every team playing each other at least twice in that time period (once when you switch and once when they switch). Your permanent rival would stay the same and always be in the other division.This would create additional interest if there is an extended period of time when the best 2 teams are usually in the same division like now when we and FSU have to play every year in the regular season and have no chance for both to be in the ACCCG - twice every 7 years this could happen. I think this would add interest and variety to scheduling.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about, if you have 14 teams

Nov 13, 2013, 9:23 AM

you play 13 conference games, problem solved.

No divisions, no championship game, team with the best record wins, same tiebreaker rules apply. Seems easy to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but then the SEC would have the top 14 ranked teams. As they

Nov 13, 2013, 9:27 AM

lose to each other, it would just be a self-fulfilling prophecy and just reshuffle the top 14 since they are the best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I think just dropping the permanent crossover...

Nov 13, 2013, 9:36 AM

...is the way to go. I don't think it'll be a very popular move, but it's silly to play teams in your own conference once every six years. The other option, of course, is going to 9 conference games, which would likely mean dropping our big OOC opponent not named South Carolina.

If (or when?) we go to 16 teams, I think we'll see four four-team pods. You'll play everyone in your own pod annually and two teams from each of the three other pods every year. So, again, we'd be looking at 9 conference games. The advantage here is that you play every team a minimum of every other season. Determining who goes to the title game will be tricky, but there are plenty of parameters you could use.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unique solution for 14 team conference scheduling that will

Nov 13, 2013, 10:14 AM

If the NCAA reforms we keep hearing about include letting each conference decide for themselves how they will run their championship game (i.e. don't require division at all, maybe just the top 2 teams), then we could go with this: each team has 3 permanent partners, then rotate through the other 10 teams 5 per year (for an 8-game schedule).

Clemson's partners might be: FSU, Ga Tech, NC State

Va Tech's partners might be: Louisville, Pitt, Virginia

To me, that's probably the best solution (since I don't see pods ever happening). What do y'all think?

First time I've heard an idea like that

Nov 13, 2013, 10:47 AM

I like it. But I haven't done the math - will that work for a 14 team conference? It's similar enough to the "Pods" idea that was floated around, but that only works for 12 or 16 teams.

16 Team, 4 Pods has always been the way to go

Nov 13, 2013, 10:41 AM

14 teams won't work. It needs to be 12 or 16.

With 16 you can go 4 divisions of 4 teams. Each year you pair two of the division and play all 7 teams from your division and the other one plus one permanent rival. If your permanent rival is in the division that you are playing that year, then you play a secondary rival (or Notre Dame if there was a way to include that in standings). Champions of each pair of divisions play each other for Conference Championship.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 754
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic