Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Top 15 Clemson Football Players since 1970:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Top 15 Clemson Football Players since 1970:

May 16, 2014, 10:05 AM

I tried to narrow it down to 10 but no way. Also, this list doesn't include OL because there were just too many great ones and this is the one position where it's too difficult to pick out one, two, or three:

1. CJ Spiller (edged Sammmy because he stayed 4 years)
2. Sammy Watkins
3. Terry Kinard
4. Steve Fuller
5. Anthony Simmons
6. Jeff Davis
7. Chester McGlockton
8. Nuk Hopkins
9. Fridge
10. Jerry Butler
11. Woody Dantzler
12. Levon Kirkland
13. Tajh Boyd
14. Bennie Cunningham
15. Donnell Woolford

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where's Terry Allen??***

May 16, 2014, 10:14 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would be between 16 and 20 with Raymond Priester

May 16, 2014, 10:36 AM

just ahead of him

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Top 15 Clemson Football Players since 1970:

May 16, 2014, 10:21 AM

How could a QB that completely re-wrote the Clemson record book and won 32 games in 3 years be 13th on the list?? Tajh should be no lower that 3rd IMHO.

Put Fuller or Woody on our team the last 3 years and

May 16, 2014, 10:59 AM

what would they have done?

Love Boyd though.

I knew this was a joke when I saw the first name.

May 16, 2014, 10:23 AM

The fact that David Potter is not in the top position makes me lament the valuable time I wasted opening, and then reading this post. I think 98.65% of knowledgeable Clemson athletics fans will agree with me on this.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I knew he was our greatest basketball player of all time but

May 16, 2014, 10:38 AM

forgot he played WR, safety, and returned punts for us.

My bad.

Ummmm

May 16, 2014, 10:36 AM

Where is Dawkins, Whitehurst, James Davis, Gaines Adams??

^^^^^this....and Micael Dean Perry, Jeff Davis***

May 16, 2014, 10:41 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oops the judge was on there***

May 16, 2014, 10:42 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dawkins was great player for us and would be on the list

May 16, 2014, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Ummmm ]

if NFL accomplishments were counted. He'd be in the top 30 probably. Whitehurst would also be top 30 or 35 but I think the three QBs on there already should be in front of him. Adams would probably be 16 or 17 competing with Michael Dean Perry and Brentson Buckner. Davis would be right there with Priester and Terry Allen, between 15 and 25 somewhere.

Why would you count NFL accomplishments.......

May 16, 2014, 11:31 AM

when you're talking about the Top 15 players at CLEMSON were since 1970? That has nothing to do with what he did at Clemson.

Using your logic would be the same as saying Tim Tebow was a terrible QB for the Florida Gators just because he was a terrible QB in the NFL (never mind he won the Heisman Trophy in college).

I didn't use NFL accomplishments. That's why Dawkins

May 16, 2014, 12:00 PM

isn't on the list nor Dwight Clark.

Whitehurst's 40 vs Coots

May 16, 2014, 11:03 PM [ in reply to Dawkins was great player for us and would be on the list ]

And not on list? WTH?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4-0***

May 16, 2014, 11:03 PM

Make your own DANG LIST

May 16, 2014, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Ummmm ]

He made his now make yours!

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

You can't have a list without Rob Bodine.***

May 16, 2014, 10:47 AM

Great player but there are only two DL on there. Where

May 16, 2014, 11:00 AM

would you put him?

Sure you can - he wasn't aTop 15-level player***

May 16, 2014, 11:26 AM [ in reply to You can't have a list without Rob Bodine.*** ]

Re: Top 15 Clemson Football Players since 1970:

May 16, 2014, 11:05 AM

CJSpiller
Terry Kinard
Michael Dean Perry
DaQuon Bowers
William Perry
Benny Cunningham
Tajh Boyd
Jeff Davis
Sammy Watkins
Levon Kirkland
Steve Fuller
Vic Beasley
DeAndre Hopkins
Gaines Adams
Anthony Simmons

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great list***

May 16, 2014, 11:17 AM

Disagree about Vic Beasley - how can you put......

May 16, 2014, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Top 15 Clemson Football Players since 1970: ]

him above a consensus All-American like Gaines Adams and an All-American like Anthony Simmons? IMO he can't be judged on this list until after he finishes playing at Clemson.

And another thing - how can you put a charter member like Steve Fuller down close to the bottom of the list?

Re: Disagree about Vic Beasley - how can you put......

May 17, 2014, 11:26 AM

Having given the list a lot of thought, I actually have an answer to your questions.

Vic Beasley - Clearly I am projecting a bit, and HOPEFULLY my optimism proves appropriate. I also was recalling my visit to Hattiesburg (USM) in 2000 or so. Affixed onto the stadium is the roster of the best players at every position in USM history and Derrick Nix was there as running back. I watched Mr. Nix that same day - and now I've afforded Mr. Beasley the same (personal) honor).

Steve Fuller - Due to age (not lots of money or time) and home location (2200 miles from Clemson) I attended zero Clemson football games from 1969 (USC) until 1982 (Nebraska) and obviously never was an attendee at any of Mr. Fuller's games. As such he rates (to me) a notch or two less than other's ratings.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO the guys in the ROH who played since.....

May 16, 2014, 11:10 AM

1970 should automatically be in the top spots on the list then IMO Spiller (future ROH) and then the others in some order (Watkins in ROH also if/when he gets his degree).

One thing good now about Clemson football since 1970 is that our program's improved to where there's hardly any way to decide who the Top 15 are anymore (since we've had so many great players for our program since 1970).

I know thinking about this list will also bring up the argument about who belongs in the ROH. The unfortunate thing IMO is that there are several players who possibly should be but never got their degrees and now will never be able to qualify.

Just personally, the players that would wow me

May 16, 2014, 11:45 AM

starts with 1) Woody and 2) CJ. Two guys that truly looked like they could win a game for us single-handedly.

null

Sammy?***

May 16, 2014, 3:49 PM

Clearly an awesome talent and maybe #3 on that list but

May 16, 2014, 4:07 PM

just in my mind, #1 and #2 are separated from everyone.

null

Sammy against UMD 2011 and Ohio State in 2014 show

May 16, 2014, 5:30 PM

he could single handedly win games like CJ and Woody if that's the right phrase.

Woody probably should be higher on my list.

Michael Dean needs to be on there

May 16, 2014, 7:07 PM

and after this year, add Vic Beasley

Nice list. I would put Sammy #1 and Spiller #2.

May 16, 2014, 7:31 PM

I feel like Sammy was better throughout his career than Spiller. While C.J. had some spectacular moments as a freshman and sophomore, he wasn't truly spectacular on a regular basis until later in his career. Honestly, James Davis performed better when both shared the load. I remember being so frustrated with Spiller's tendency as a younger player to dance around behind the line and not run north south.

Sammy has been great from day one. He was a little inconsistent as a sophomore, but still had a good year all things considered.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Nice list. I would put Sammy #1 and Spiller #2.

May 16, 2014, 9:13 PM

William Perry is the most dominant player in Clemson history. I believe he is the only 3 time 1st team all American in school history.

Good list but one of many who are missing is Homer.***

May 16, 2014, 11:14 PM

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic