Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There must be a massive Jedi force field along I-85
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

There must be a massive Jedi force field along I-85

Dec 6, 2018, 4:05 PM

When all weathermen say a dusting of snow south of 85 and 2 feet north of 85

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The concrete absorbs all the heat from the sun and

Dec 6, 2018, 4:17 PM

It caused the temperature around it to be 2 to 3 degrees higher, plus all the heat from truck and car engines......... ??????

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The concrete absorbs all the heat from the sun and

Dec 6, 2018, 4:39 PM

Good global warming teaching moment in there-

Technically, the sun doesn't send out heat. It sends out ultraviolet light which passes through all the gases in the atmosphere without producing any heat. If those rays hit something like polar ice, they ricochet harmlessly back into space.

When those rays hit a dark surface (like asphalt or the one left by a melting Arctic ice sheet), they are absorbed and then radiated back out as infrared waves that do react and heat up greenhouse gases like CO2, water vapor and methane to make earth a habitable place.

Without CO2 helping to do this we'd be a big empty ice ball- so it's a good thing. You cannot (by the laws of heat conduction discovered nearly 200 years ago) keep adding CO2 and not raise temperatures. CO2 is necessary for a livable climate but right now we have too much of a good thing.

Dec 6, 2018, 4:46 PM

So should we all plant a lot more trees since we're busy burning down the rainforest?

Then let’s all hold our breath for 2 minutes and reduce CO2.

Dec 6, 2018, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Re: The concrete absorbs all the heat from the sun and ]

... ??

Uumm no

Dec 6, 2018, 7:16 PM [ in reply to Re: The concrete absorbs all the heat from the sun and ]

Most people do not realize the concentration of CO2 in air varies somewhere between 300 and 400 parts per million...that's .04 of 1 % of the atmosphere being CO2. Extremely tiny amount!!! The overwhelming vast majority of air is made up of Nitrogen 78%, Oxygen 21%, that leaves only 1% for everything else including water vapor. CO2 is considered a trace gas...and always will be...but you wouldn't know it by all the lies and propaganda.

300-400 ppm, just enough to make the grass green and plants and trees grow and be happy....and feed us...and then scrub the CO2 back into Oxygen. It's a self sustaining loop.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Uumm no

Dec 6, 2018, 8:23 PM

you have no idea what you are talking about, that is the cute part.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Uumm no

Dec 6, 2018, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Uumm no ]

Um-no back at you son. Study this more deeply before you spew political doctrine as though it were science.

Dec 6, 2018, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Re: The concrete absorbs all the heat from the sun and ]

No more or no less than ever before!!
Weather is cyclical!!
Sometimes it hot and sometimes it’s cold.
Sometimes it’s Just right!!
Kinda like coffee

Dec 6, 2018, 8:19 PM

did you read this on your hike to bullchit mountain?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2018, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Re: The concrete absorbs all the heat from the sun and ]

RU4Real?

Uhm, technically the sun sends out light along

Dec 7, 2018, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Re: The concrete absorbs all the heat from the sun and ]

the entire spectrum, visible or not. An enormous amount of this is in the form of infrared radiation, which manages to warm things all on its own. If you don't believe me, go stand out on the lighted side of the moon, where there is both an extremely high albedo, no atmosphere, and oven-like temperatures.

The lunatic is in my brain

Dec 7, 2018, 8:17 AM

.... oops, no. That's the dark side of the moon.

Dec 7, 2018, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Re: The concrete absorbs all the heat from the sun and ]

This is incorrect.

The Sun emits light along all wavelengths. Including radio frequencies from ELF, through K, UHZ, and Thz, and as well as infrared through ultraviolet, and the typical x-ray, Alpha, Gamma, Beta, etc radiation spectrum as well.

The Sun absolutely heats the earth through transmission of these various forms of radiation. The energy within the light particles and waves emitted by the sun via this radiation transmit energy directly into the earth's atmosphere, that energy is transferred into the molecules that make up our atmosphere, the ground, buildings, people, everything. The energy transfer from radiation excites the molecules within these things being bombarded by solar radiation, and they heat up.

CO2 helps trap biproducts of that radiation within our atmosphere, but we dont heat up due to CO2 alone. CO2 is a secondary factor. The earth is primarily heated by the sun.

Substitute "global warming" and "climate change" with

Dec 7, 2018, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Re: The concrete absorbs all the heat from the sun and ]

"someone trying to done get paid" ...

The first attempt of implementing the carbon tax is going over like gangbusters in Europe ... lol.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There must be a massive Jedi force field along I-85

Dec 6, 2018, 4:30 PM

Elevation increases north of I-85. Laurens is about 600 about sea level. Greenville is 965 feet above sea level. Many times I have driven up I-385 in a cold rain storm which changes to wet snow around I85 and really good snow just north of Furman in TR.

I-85 is the new yankee-southern line

Dec 6, 2018, 4:48 PM

Those poor Yankee Bastars in Greer better wrap up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Freaking Greer

Dec 6, 2018, 4:55 PM

and their carpet bagging into good southern lands

Somebody had to say it. Good job.***

Dec 6, 2018, 5:12 PM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 6, 2018, 5:16 PM

Just heard a accurate weather report on the radio. Guy said we have no idea what the weather will be this weekend we will just have to wait and see

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s is 100% accurate #realnews***

Dec 6, 2018, 5:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All snow in a 250 mile radius should go straight to Columbia

Dec 6, 2018, 8:15 PM

because it sucks just that much.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It appears that weather patterns today follow...

Dec 6, 2018, 8:43 PM

Our interstate highways to a degree. I have often watched the trees on the side of I-85 swaying back and forth as cars and trucks go speeding by. My point is that all these millions of vehicles on our interstate are producing an awful lot of wind turbulence. Don’t know if all that turbulence nationwide affects our weather or not. I tend to believe that it does.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It appears that weather patterns today follow...

Dec 6, 2018, 10:56 PM

Silly me! I thought the I85 weather line was because we built the highway along the path of the jet stream.

Re: It appears that weather patterns today follow...

Dec 6, 2018, 11:49 PM [ in reply to It appears that weather patterns today follow... ]

Or that the highways were built along old paths and trails that were naturally the paths of least resilience by animals and settlers that just so happened to follow along and coincide with mountain ridges that naturally cause differences in temperatures to their surrounding locations.

Maybe?

Dec 7, 2018, 6:43 AM

Usually, up here in Iredell County, NC (Statesville) they use I-40 as the dividing line, north of which gets a lot more snow than south. I think it's because north of 40 is the foothills.

Not sure what to make of 85 being a divider this time.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic