Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
USC / Clemson Recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

USC / Clemson Recruiting

Feb 7, 2013, 12:30 PM

First and foremost, I don't think you can declare "victory" in recruiting. Fact is, Carolina and Clemson don't battle each other very often for the same recruit. The only victories are small ones: for instance Clemson getting Sammy and Carolina getting Clowney.

This year Clemson/Carolina were ranked 14 and 16 respectively by Rivals. 12/21 by Scout. 15/20 by 247.
After following recruiting for too many years, it's my opinion that there is little difference in classes after 1-5 and through the top 20. Certainly little between USC and Clemson...and more so since both were recruiting different needs.

As a long suffering Carolina fan, I'm also of the opinion that you'll never get a great ranked class recruiting lineman but they are what makes/breaks you. The biggest difference in recruiting for Carolina in the Spurrier years is that someone finally figured out you have great lines or you'll lose. We've ignored that starting the day Joe Morrison died and Sparky Woods started to recruit "stars" at the skill positions...a trend Brad Scott (who, unbelievably was a line coach) continued.

Other thoughts this recruiting cycle:

--If you're school loses out on a recruit, the winning school didn't pay him, provide loans, or otherwise cheat. Kids are influenced by 1000 different things and you just don't know what is going to appeal to each individual.

--Spurrier is an underrated recruiter. He lets his staff, and the individuals position coach, establish the relationship and he's brought in to close when the time is right.

--Swinney is one of the best recruiters in the country but, IMO, still has some lessons to learn in what to say to the media. Specifically, he spent too much time this recruiting cycle talking about the SEC. Not needed. Now his comment on "his mom is from Nigeria and likes me"...that was comedy gold.

--Every single Carolina recruit took officials / unofficials to Columbia. Not one of them, however, toured the SEC offices in Birmingham, AL. I'm pretty sure that goes for each respective school in the SEC.

--Carolina's best signee is one that didn't get signing day pub...QB Connor Mitch. Early enrolee. DT Kelsy Griffin is the one I'm looking forward to watch play.

--Alexander could be Clemson's Deion Sanders. Nice signing day surprise to say the least.

--That kids mom that stole his LOI was one of the funniest recruiting day stories I've heard in a while.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re Silly coot who can't stand it. He has to come to his

Feb 7, 2013, 12:32 PM

rival's board and run off.

Stand what?

Feb 7, 2013, 12:37 PM

just making conversation.

Tell 'em coot

Feb 7, 2013, 2:18 PM

We have never heard your spin before.

Being a loser and having a loser jerk for a ball coach.

Feb 7, 2013, 11:18 PM [ in reply to Stand what? ]

COOT

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is necessary to address sec issue, and he did a great job***

Feb 7, 2013, 12:43 PM

Re: USC / Clemson Recruiting

Feb 7, 2013, 12:44 PM

Too much coot logic to answer all of the post but here are a few.

The rise of your school has been in direct proportion to the decline in UF, TN, GA, although those teams are coming back.

Dabo has no lessons he needs to learn about speaking to the media. The only reason he said anything about the SECheat was because he was ASKED about it by the reporter. And what he said is the truth. Recruits were openly talking about it.

The lower tier schools, and your school is one of those, have to promote the conference because that is the only thing they have going for them, because they haven't won any hardware for the trophy case themselves.

When the winners of the SECheat feel as though they are losing a recruit to Clemson or FSU, some of the recruits have said that it is at that time when those schools start talking about how great the conference is and "don't you want to play against the best bull." It is those comments that Dabo responds to. He doesn't bring up the SECheat on his own, but only when asked.

If you want to go to the NFL, go to the ACC, they have more active players right now in the NFL..... and Clemson puts in plenty.

Ziggy wont read this post cause it hurts too much***

Feb 7, 2013, 12:49 PM

Re: The kraut comes in farting and expects everyone to

Feb 7, 2013, 1:00 PM

believe him. The place needs to be fumigated.

Feb 8, 2013, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Re: USC / Clemson Recruiting ]

You lost me right here:

"The rise of your school has been in direct proportion to the decline in UF, TN, GA, although those teams are coming back."

Would that be the same UGA team we throttled 35-7 and for the third year in a row? The same UGA team that was, literally, five yards away from the MNC game?

Check UF's record too...I think you'll find their final ranking higher than 90% of the ACC in the same period.

Here is where you lost me

Feb 7, 2013, 12:44 PM

"Every single Carolina recruit took officials / unofficials to Columbia. Not one of them, however, toured the SEC offices in Birmingham, AL. I'm pretty sure that goes for each respective school in the SEC."

Are you trying to say that recruits are not influenced by playing in the SEC as a conference?

It is widely known that the SEC coaches use their conference as a recruiting pitch when battling teams from other conferences. If you are disputing that, you lose all credibility.

he will not understand the last parof your post

should have said:

"you loose all credibility"

that should starighten him out

;)

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re: he will not understand the last part your post

Feb 7, 2013, 12:56 PM

Thanks. It can be difficult sometimes to think that way but if I want to be understood I have to appeal to my reader.

Re: Here is where you lost me

Feb 8, 2013, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Here is where you lost me ]

"It is widely known that the SEC coaches use their conference as a recruiting pitch when battling teams from other conferences. If you are disputing that, you lose all credibility."

Completely agree...but I think it's more on being able to play in big markets/stadiums vs Duke, BC, Syracuse, Wake, etc.

Good writeup Zeiganaut.***

Feb 7, 2013, 12:45 PM

Agree with much of what you said. The recruting differences

Feb 7, 2013, 12:47 PM

between SC and CU over the past few years have not been large.

Your comments about CU fan reaction to losing a recruit may be right in an absolute sense, but have you not been to your own board lately? Way worse over there. Fix yourself, then come back and talk.

Your comments about Dabo reveal the over sensitivity you say he has. The sec thumps its chest 24/7, makes everyone sick about hearing it, and says it to recruits over and over and over again. So Dabo brings in a great class and then mentions that it was going on. So what? You talk about it, he uses the fact that you talk about it to his advantage if he can. Get over it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

whatever makes you feel better***

Feb 7, 2013, 12:48 PM

Schools will always go the way of their recruiting.

2 or 3 great recruiting classes and you see the results on the field within a couple of years.

Likewise 2 or 3 down classes in a row will get you lower results on the field in a couple of seasons.

Once a program starts to rise, they have to maitain that recruiting to stay where they are and be able to rise to compete with any top 10 team in the nation. If that doesn't happen, you'll that the team has peaked and are on course to slide back to where they once were.

Why do you think Tiger fans(real ones) got a little upset at the late decommits? They knew this was that pivitol class for Clemson. The recruiting results for the last couple of years will be seen on the field. While one team is rising the other is sliding(in recruiting). It just takes a couple of years for it all to realized on the field. It took that OBC 7 years of recruiting and the Defense of Ellis Johson to get above mediocre. Keep an eye out, the teams will be going in different directions.

Like someone here said last night , the COOTS have been dragging out Scout recuiting ranks every year, this year they're running from Scout and grabbing anything that rates them higher.

Anyone really think Stanford are gonna maintain what the previous coach built if their recruiting still ranks around 50 ? Everyone sees that GT's slip back to average corelates with PJ's crappy recuiting. That's where it starts. It just takes a couple of years for the recruiting results to see the field.

Ole Miss, great class this year, don't look for them to dominate this year, but next year or the next, if they repeat ion recruiting, they will be better, regardless of how we think they might be getting players.

Big uglies are nice, but you need an offense to compete. A&M will change that in the SEC. Seems Florida might have decided to make that switych to Offense that works looking at their recruiting. You can't have what evry service ranks as the abouit the 10th worst recruiting class in yoyr conference and theink you'll still compete.

Ole Mi$$ is going to need many good years to compete

Feb 7, 2013, 1:01 PM

with the other teams in their division. Their doing everyone else a favor because it's some great athletes being wasted on a team that isn't going to compete against the other schools in that half of the league.

The sec least is wide open other than UF. If Vandy keeps improving, they might compete to get to Atlanta in a couple of years.

We didn't get many Olinemen this year

Feb 7, 2013, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Schools will always go the way of their recruiting. ]

But we redshirted our best two this past year and have recruited several over the past 3 years. Adding to that how we only lose Dalton, and have Guillermo (#1 OC in his class) and Norton (won rookie of the year at Clemson, or something?) We should be fine at the position. We were very green this year.

Clemson

Feb 7, 2013, 12:54 PM

Not to be rude, and I essentially agree with your post, but what are you doing here? Are there Clemson fans over on CockyTalk for some reason. I just don't get it. I'm not from the heart of South Carolina though so maybe that explains it.

Also, just launched a for fun website in January. If you want to check it out I'd appreciate it. http://www.freedomintellect.com/
Comments and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Re What is the Trojan board called?***

Feb 7, 2013, 3:27 PM

Stopped reading when I got to "...Carolina fan"

Feb 7, 2013, 1:08 PM

Your opinion about anything having to do with football carries about as much weight as my 4 year old nieces. Scurry back to the hen house dirtpecker.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2013, 1:10 PM

Here is the difference (I'll keep it Coot simple for you):

USuC along with every other $EC school....touts their "Conference"
ALL the while clinging to the coat-tails of Alabama, LSU, and Fla!

Clemson....Sells CLEMSON!! A winning tradition, a tradition of exellence academically and athletically, and the merits of being in special place. We sell our recruits on being a part of something greater than themselves or conference affiliation. We explain to them the PRIVILIDGE of touching a hallowed rock, running down a special hill and playing on a playing surface named after a legendary coach!!

Dabo doesnt need help from his conference to sell HIS School or build HIS team.

While Clemson "may" have "lost out" on some "Elite talent", we got 23 young men who "Get it", are "All in", and they couldnt care less about the SEC.....because at the end of the day they have the honor of wearing the Orange and White and they will be CLEMSON TIGERS!!!!!!

TWEET.......THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2013, 1:19 PM

No Paper Tiger here...We had a good recruiting class - end of story for now. Whether is was significantly better than SC will play out on the field over time...The tide is going to turn at some point - and when it does I'll be at the front of the line. But until that happens - I consider them to have a more talented and better coached team. You can't win 4 straight over a rival any other way.

Swinney wasn't the one bringing up the SEC

Feb 7, 2013, 1:23 PM

that was something that was brought up to him that he was responding to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Recruiting is guessing game.

Feb 7, 2013, 1:26 PM

The top 5 always have top recruiting classes. Sure you'll get a few gems here and there, but you're never gonna compete at the top level with classes full of 2-3 stars.

I think what the Coots are doing, are just making excuses. No way should their recruiting be slipping(it has the last 2 years) during the best 2 years in their history.

Did they ever track her down?

Feb 7, 2013, 1:34 PM

That was funny.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why do South Carolina fans come on here and get defensive?

Feb 7, 2013, 1:46 PM

Good grief. Post that on your own site. We don't care.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ making scar fans defensive on tnet since 1/1/07.

Feb 7, 2013, 2:36 PM

Saaaaaaaaaaaa-LUTE.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post, but I don't think Dabo spent too much time

Feb 7, 2013, 1:46 PM

"talking about the SEC." He only made one comment

Feb 7, 2013, 2:31 PM

It's hard to make a linear comparison between USC and Clemson. USC of course dominates their homestate of California, and they also pull in recruits from all over.
Bigger school, the southern cal lifestyle, Rose Bowl history. . . all of that provides many degrees of separation. Weird that you'd try to make a comparison.

Well said ALLIN4CU***

Feb 7, 2013, 10:51 PM

Feb 8, 2013, 1:14 AM

They do actually offer a lot of the same players. Just check the offers that the signees for each team had.

Feb 8, 2013, 3:31 AM

The coots are furious that we spanked them in recruiting. They've sat ahead of us for quite sometime thinking we were gonna just not do anything on NSD. The roach bomb went off when Alexander signed. Every coot was posting non-stop pics of their recruits on facebook and acting like the kid just flipped to them. It was a pathetic sight really. When Alexander signed they all ran and hid like the bugs they are. Then came typical coot bs about how Nkemdiiche flipped months ago. Old news! They didnt respond well when asked about the 7 guys who ditched them yesterday Now theyre claiming their class is underrated and full of borderline 4 & 5 star recruits. Hilariouso! Their brains should be studied cause coot-o-rama has clearly made them delusional with a hint of lead poisoning.

Feb 8, 2013, 10:58 AM

Honestly not being argumentative and I fall in the camp you don't declare victory in recruiting. You fill YOUR needs. Case in point: Clemson didn't need O-Lineman this cycle; we did and signed some studs. Did we "win"?

That said, please explain this statement when every major recruiting cycle has USC/Clemson within three positions of each other:

"The coots are furious that we spanked them in recruiting."

And to answer other questions...I post on The Big Spur and there are a few Clemson fans on there and we have great dialogue. No use of "tater" or "coot"...just discussion.

I agree with you and did so in my OP...Alexander is a stud.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic