Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
USA - Colombia tomorrow night...who you got?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

USA - Colombia tomorrow night...who you got?

Jun 2, 2016, 9:15 PM

The biggest sporting event most folks have never heard of is about to kick off - on American soil.

Copa America. Normally South America's version of the Euros, the 100th Anniversary version is being held in the USA, between the 10 teams of South America - including all the heavyweights like Brazil, Argentina, and Colombia, who we play tomorrow - along with the top 6 teams in North America.

It's basically a mini World Cup...at least, the Western Hemisphere World Cup, and it's expected to draw close to 2 million fans this summer. Which is a lot, and it will also certainly attract cameras, and media coverage, as people belatedly realize this rather huge thing is going on in America, like, right now.

Could be very cool. Our group - Group A - is Colombia, Costa Rica, and Venezuela (ouch). It's only marginally easier than the Group of Death we barely escaped this past World Cup. In fact, in that last World Cup, the USA, Costa Rica, and Colombia all got out of Group, and Costa Rica and Colombia both got to the quarterfinals, or final 8.

Again, there is absolutely zero guarantee we even get out of Group A. We are swimming with the sharks in this group - again.

We survive tomorrow night, we're probably a very good bet to get out of Group. But if Colombia puts it to us - and they well could, the Colombians are very good right now - we could be in a hole from Minute 1, needing results against Costa Rica and Venezuela to advance.

Definitely the best soccer this side of a World Cup, and easily the second-biggest soccer event ever held in the USA...behind just the '94 World Cup.

We do well? Awful? Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: USA - Colombia tomorrow night...who you got?

Jun 2, 2016, 9:34 PM

Given our struggles in the World Cup qualifying thus far I would say I am a bit concerned about our chances, especially given our draw in group A. Hopefully Klinsmann will have the boys ready to play. I am admittedly a passive soccer fan, but I always get very interested in these large tournaments and the World Cup. We have a great opportunity with home soil on our side, so let's get after em tomorrow night and make some noise.

USA Soccer? lol

Jun 2, 2016, 9:38 PM

Maybe we can bring this up again in about 40 years. Maybe by then we'll be more than just an afterthought.

Re: USA Soccer? lol

Jun 3, 2016, 1:33 PM

We are getting better. Don't be a d bag. Trump wouldn't like your kind. But then again he probably hates soccer since it's for Mexicans.

I lived in Colombia for about 7 years. That and I am

Jun 2, 2016, 9:56 PM

married to a Colombian. So I know a little about the Colombian team.

Their team is stacked. They have Bacca, James Rodriguez (World Cup Golden Boot finalist), Sanchez, Murillo, Zapata, Ospina (keeper) who are all on a different level than anyone we have.

Even Falcao, who isn't even playing, would be our star forward if we had him.

I am hoping for a draw, 0-0, but defense isn't going to do that.

I think we lose 3-0.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To put it into perspective for the football crowd

Jun 2, 2016, 9:59 PM

We are like Wake and Colombia like us this past year. Y'all know how that went.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To put it into perspective for the football crowd

Jun 2, 2016, 11:26 PM

Are we really that bad? Wake bad? I don't follow world soccer much though I do like the sport. How can the USA be that terrible? Overall lack of interest in the country? I didn't realize we were Wake bad lol

Jun 3, 2016, 7:04 AM

Not wake bad. Closer to last year's uga or miss st. Good team but with flaws.

http://m.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/index.html

3 vs 31

We entered the last world cup at 19. We've been on a slide since the gold cup.

Our recent friendlies were the most life this team has seen in a year.

FIFA rankings are pretty terrible though.

Jun 3, 2016, 8:18 AM

IMO Colombia isn't even the 3rd best team in this tournament, let alone the world. I would have them 4th favorites here behind Argentina, Brazil, and Chile.

Dude we lost to Guatamala 2-0

Jun 3, 2016, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: To put it into perspective for the football crowd ]

that's Wake bad.

Edit: GuatEmala***

Jun 3, 2016, 5:05 PM

Jun 3, 2016, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Re: To put it into perspective for the football crowd ]

I lived in Brazil when I was a kid and played soccer all my life, as well as football.I had the priviledge of coaching my son and daughter for several years, as well. It all begins with youth development. A former US National Team Coach, Bruce Arena, really started to grow the youth development programs across the country. Most youth programs now follow US Soccer training philosophy. It is based on the European youth development programs. It would be like our coaches at Clemson working with youth football through high school programs to develop their training and practice regimen. Today, we are seeing those kids move up to the National team and have success playing in Europe. We are also starting to see gifted athletes choose soccer, as its popularity grows.

I loved Falcao

Jun 3, 2016, 7:56 AM [ in reply to I lived in Colombia for about 7 years. That and I am ]

in the Replacements

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

me too***

Jun 3, 2016, 5:01 PM

Loved Klinsmann as a player, but something ain't cooking as

Jun 2, 2016, 10:11 PM

coach. This would be a great stage to turn it around. However, I'm partial to the Ticos so that will be a tough match to pick a side. PB Tiger is right, though. Colombia is strong right now so we'll need to channel the '94 magic to beat them tomorrow night.

Colombia, but it's supposedly a fairly even matchup.**

Jun 2, 2016, 10:18 PM

nm

If you don't know anything about soccer it is.

Jun 2, 2016, 10:32 PM

Clearly we are the underdogs in a big way.

I am going by the Vegas odds.

Jun 2, 2016, 10:51 PM

You should load up on Colombia if you feel that strongly. The odds are close. Colombia is only +185 to win. USA is +150 to win. Those are close odds for soccer.

Forgot to add...

Jun 2, 2016, 11:07 PM

I have watched us play enough this year and I am not inspired at all. Then again it will be in the Bay Area. I won't be surprised at all if we win, but they are slightly favored. Moreover, I havent seen Colombia play in a couple years, so I really know little about them. I do know our team well and I am uninspired with our future. Now you have me interested thought to watch. I appreciate that.

Indeed. I have watched a lot of Colombian soccer

Jun 3, 2016, 5:03 PM [ in reply to I am going by the Vegas odds. ]

and they have their issues but we have nothing on them. I would not bet against the USA though. I mean, I want them to win!

As for the actual match, Colombia is much more talented but we have a few things going for us.

Jun 2, 2016, 11:16 PM [ in reply to If you don't know anything about soccer it is. ]

Its on US soil, radamel falcao is pretty much done these days, and James has been on the bench at Real since Zidane took over and not really getting any run. We might catch them out of form. Bacca is really good though.

We have a house on the beach in Puerto Colombia where Bacca

Jun 3, 2016, 5:04 PM

is from. Just a tiny little pubilto.

we're caught between generations now

Jun 2, 2016, 10:21 PM

and just can't seem to play consistently.

terrible showing in Gold Cup shows we can get up for the big ones (i.e. World Cup 2014)

but can't sustain it.

this is likely the last hurrah for the old timers

and I see them playing well

but not having enough.

beat Ecuador on late goal against subs, but didn't control action very well early.

I don't see us getting through this Group without some real help somewhere

or one of the kids (including Nagbe) going mercurial for us.

Re: we're caught between generations now

Jun 2, 2016, 10:30 PM

I think we lose tomorrow 2-0 or 2-1. A draw would be great.

I do think we get through to the knockout rounds. Costa Rica is good but their great goalie is injured. I think we beat Paraguay at home.

If we finish 2 in the group we most likely get Brazil in the knockouts......

Colombia

Jun 2, 2016, 10:23 PM

Unless they miss flight

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Yep! Bacca is from a small town where my house is

Jun 2, 2016, 10:35 PM

in Puerto Colombia. He's a mean dude. We got nothing to stop those guys but I will be cheering in my wife's ear regardless.

Even I, who only posts on one board, think we need a soccer

Jun 2, 2016, 10:32 PM

board.

Jun 2, 2016, 10:47 PM

Clemson has the 2nd best record of 16-4 of the last 20 games played in the season behind only louisville 17-3 of the top 16 heading into the regionals. Clemson has a 9-1 record in front of louisville of the last 10 games played in the season of the top 16 other than TCU with with a 9-1 record out of the last 10 games played in the season. We will not be an easy team to beat in the regionals bc we are playing our best baseball right now!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Play tight defense and counter attack. Hope for a

Jun 2, 2016, 10:52 PM

draw.

It's pretty cool tournament but the better SA teams don't really care

Jun 2, 2016, 11:07 PM

too much. The real Copa America was last year in Chile. Still neat for US fans to get to play some of those teams, but I think the main goal is to try to get some of the younger guys like Pulisic and Nagbe worked into the side.

Jurgin's seat is a little warm right now though so he might feel pressured to play veterans looking for results. IMO that's a mistake though. We need to pass the torch from guys like Dempsey and this is the time to do it, not during the Hex when WC qualification is at stake.

You seem to know your stuff..

Jun 2, 2016, 11:23 PM

IS that at all surprising that our U-23 Men's National Team didn't qualify for the Olympics? Also, is that symbolic that our future isn't looking good? I don't know enough about our U-23 team.

That's a good question. It was very disappointing because

Jun 2, 2016, 11:45 PM

that experience is really valuable for the young guys. It was also fairly surprising, but at the same time i think a lot of people acknowledged it was possible. It was kind of like the Citadel winning at South Carolina last year.

There's talent there with guys like Gil, Miazga, Green, Morris, etc. We also have Gedion Zelalem that's been playing on the U-20 team and has a lot of talent. And of course Pulisic who's only 17 and probably the best prospect we have right now. The U-23 team just doesn't always play well together and they have a tendency to fall apart as soon as they get punched in the gut. Some of the guys just seem to start trying to pick fights when they fall behind instead of trying to battle back. Hopefully some of those guys will develop into good pieces for the senior team though. That's what ultimately matters.

I'm looking forward to seeing

Jun 3, 2016, 7:24 AM

the backs of my eye lids.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jun 3, 2016, 7:47 AM

Columbia beats us sadly.

They are a much better team.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Jun 3, 2016, 9:01 AM

We just aren't good enough to hang with Colombia. Their u23 team dominated our u23 team in Olympic qualifying.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Soccer? On a Tiger Football board? LOL***

Jun 3, 2016, 9:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

27 of the 29 posts here are serious, and then there are

Jun 3, 2016, 9:37 AM

a couple of the usual jerk offs posting their usual jerk off stuff. All in all that's a big win for a soccer thread on Tigernet.

Thanks for noticing, I've always had to work hard and

Jun 3, 2016, 9:45 AM

be dedicated to posting my usual jerk off stuff every time someone makes a soccer post that isn't related to anything Clemson on the Tiger Football board. It isn't an easy job, but someone has to do it.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

thought hunting on a baited field, if not illegal...

Jun 3, 2016, 9:58 AM

still seems a tad unsportsmanlike.

if soccer is stupid and stupid sharpens stupid, then soccer sharpens stupid.

really, it's simple maffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's like shooting purse swingers in a barrel***

Jun 3, 2016, 10:05 AM

although the fed appears to be making it more difficult

Jun 3, 2016, 10:10 AM

on the avid shooter allowing the purse swingers their bathroom of choice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As if we don't already know which gender they identify with***

Jun 3, 2016, 10:12 AM

Re: 27 of the 29 posts here are serious, and then there are

Jun 3, 2016, 9:52 AM [ in reply to 27 of the 29 posts here are serious, and then there are ]

Some of the young guys (Pulisic, Nagbe, Wood, Yedlin, etc) are exciting but we still have such a long way to go. I do worry about Dempsey. He just looks slow and offers very little in terms of creativity.

Again, I think we somehow grind our way into a second place group stage finsish and then see how we stack up against Brazil in the knockouts.

POTD***

Jun 3, 2016, 10:12 AM [ in reply to 27 of the 29 posts here are serious, and then there are ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Indeed a problem that has increased rapidly in last 2 yrs.***

Jun 3, 2016, 10:42 AM [ in reply to 27 of the 29 posts here are serious, and then there are ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Jun 3, 2016, 11:41 AM [ in reply to 27 of the 29 posts here are serious, and then there are ]

> a couple of the usual jerk offs posting their usual
> jerk off stuff. All in all that's a big win for a
> soccer thread on Tigernet.

Now you've gone and done it. The Usual Trollish Suspects rouse from their slumber to threadjack this thread right into the toilet...and there it goes. Sad. [flush] :(

Fun while it lasted, though. I'll still be posting merrily away about Copa, especially if the USA does anything. Only a once-in-a-lifetime event on American soil. And I would love to see the USA finally break through and win one of these durn things. We're closer than we've ever been, I think, but we're still at the stage where even making it out of Group is big accomplishment.

I do think it'd be good for the collective psyche of America to finally win a big-time soccer event like Copa or the World Cup. While our progress has been...incremental, it has also been incredibly slow...and definitely of the three steps forward, two steps back variety.

Soccer ain't an easy sport to win at. Not when the whole world cares about winning at it, and usually a whole lot more than we do.

Jun 3, 2016, 12:16 PM

Clemson Football and International Soccer are the top two sports going on. My heart is USA but Columbia is the much better side. It will look like the NCAA final last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stop splashing around, making noise...

Jun 3, 2016, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: 27 of the 29 posts here are serious, and then there are ]

I think that attracts them.

very first light, fm - the sharks they come cruisin...

Jun 3, 2016, 12:57 PM

maybe the soccer gurls should form into tight groups? you know, kinda like squares on a battlefield like you see on a calendar - you know, like waterloo?

the idea being, when @GWPTiger® comes to the nearest purse swinger, that purse swinger she starts poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' - maybe gwp go away, maybe he won't go away?

Ahh yes, the hollow square.

Jun 3, 2016, 1:09 PM

It was made all but obsolete with the development of accurate artillery. Is gwp packing? Either way, doubtful gwp leaves, once he has committed to battle.

yes, that and the machine gun and i agree, once gwp is in...

Jun 3, 2016, 1:13 PM

he's not likely to pull out of quozzel anytime too soon.

You want to talk about Copa, fine. There are plenty of other

Jun 3, 2016, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Re: 27 of the 29 posts here are serious, and then there are ]

forums for that. When you post crap like this on the Tiger Football bored, you get what you axed for.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Bob? Did someone bring chick fil a into the

Jun 3, 2016, 1:44 PM

Wendy's you were eating at or something?

idk, bob - similar to when lgb refused to accept the "t"s..

Jun 3, 2016, 2:04 PM [ in reply to You want to talk about Copa, fine. There are plenty of other ]

hard to 'magine even the meat up bored wood offer safe haven to the three-dollar william[long for bill & you know they do], soccer gurls?

Jun 3, 2016, 10:46 AM

Tiger football is a great place for this thread...

Crump <3 $EC

Kind of a slow time of year. Does it really matter now?

Jun 3, 2016, 1:14 PM

The title kind of makes it obvious what the thread is about. Just don't click on it. It is so slow right now that I welcome almost anything of interest on the football board.

Jun 3, 2016, 1:34 PM

It won't be easy but we have the best goal keeper in the world. If we can string together a few good runs and get some shots on target we can pull it out.

Spain has the best keeper in the world right now but Guzan is solid and might be

Jun 3, 2016, 6:31 PM

the best in this tournament since Keylor Navas isnt playing for Costa Rica.

Jun 3, 2016, 6:53 PM

May squeak out a 1-1 draw tonight. Odds are definitely for Colombia.

I think good play coming in is a positive sign. I didn't see the friendly vs. Ecuador, but beating a team of that caliber is always a positive. Bolivia was like a light workout.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to the entire tournament. The World Cup 2 years ago reinvigorating my interest in international soccer, and I was stoked to hear a few weeks ago that this was happening here and every game is on tv. Should be fun.

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic