Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UNC probe gets deeper and deeper
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

UNC probe gets deeper and deeper

Aug 13, 2012, 9:58 AM

Forget Butch Davis, this is the definition of lack of institutional control!

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/08/13/2266292/transcript-in-unc-probe-may-be.html

Transcript in UNC probe may belong to Julius Peppers

By Dan Kane - dkane@newsobserver.com

A 2001 academic transcript published by The News & Observer two days ago that UNC-Chapel Hill officials insisted was fake may be the real thing, and it may belong to one of the most popular athletes in the university’s history — Julius Peppers.

If both transcripts are authentic, the university could be in far deeper trouble with regard to an ongoing academic scandal that is still coming into view. At issue is whether individuals in the university set up a series of bogus, no-show classes that were predominantly taken by athletes, possibly with the intent of helping them maintain their eligibility to play sports.

Should Peppers be entangled in the practice it would suggest that trumped-up classes for athletes may have been going on much longer than university officials have confirmed. It may also draw the basketball program deeper into a situation that initially centered on football players.

Peppers was a star football player at UNC from 1999 to 2001, and also saw significant playing time as a member of the basketball team for two seasons. He is now an All-Pro defensive standout for the Chicago Bears.

A poster to the PackPride bulletin board for rival N.C. State University fans put up a link late Sunday night that shows what appears to be a partial transcript of Peppers’ on UNC-CH’s website. The web address for the transcript is very similar to that of the test transcript.

A review of the purported Peppers transcript and the test transcript is a match for 34 of 36 classes. The two classes that are not similar show the same class and semester, but differ on the grade. The Peppers transcript shows an incomplete for a Black Nationalism class, while the test transcript shows the student receiving a B-plus. The test transcript also shows an A for an African American Seminar class that the Peppers transcript only shows he was registered to take it.

If the information is true, the discovery could cause huge problems for UNC-Chapel Hill. For one, the N&O reported the test transcript because it shares several characteristics with a major academic fraud scandal at the university, one that university officials have been reluctant to determine just how far back it goes. The African-American Seminar class, known as AFAM 070 back then and as AFAM 398 today, appears four times as a no-show class in an internal review that found 54 such classes during the period of 2007 to 2011.

The classes were all in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies. University officials have said the only two people they believe to be culpable in the no-show classes are the department’s former chairman, Julius Nyang’oro, and former department manager Deborah Crowder. Evidence has suggested, however, that athletes were steered to the classes by academic counselors assigned to the athletic department.

UNC Chancellor Holden Thorp has described the courses as an embarrassment to the university that deprived students who enrolled in them of a proper educational experience.

The transcripts show grades of B or better on two other classes that popped up as suspect classes, and three independent studies in which grades of B or better were given. The independent studies are also suspect because university officials could not verify that anyone taught or supervised the students who took them.

Without those grades, Peppers might have not been eligible to play either sport.

Pack fans on the bulletin board also noticed another confirming detail: A 2003 ESPN feature story on Peppers in which his agent, Carl Carey, a former academic counselor to Peppers at UNC-CH, is described as saving Peppers from receiving a failing grade in his first semester. According to the article, Carey convinced the professor to give Peppers a re-test in an Elements of Drama class. The transcripts show a D for that class and for that semester.

The transcripts could also spell trouble for UNC-CH because federal law requires universities to keep academic records private. The 37-year-old Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act can potentially force an academic institution that releases such records to lose federal funding.

University officials could not be reached early Monday morning. Over the previous several weeks, UNC officials had repeatedly said the test transcript was just that, a mock up put together to test a university computer program that helps a student learn what other courses are needed to obtain a degree. But they declined to check academic records to back up their claims.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When will the NCAA open ANOTHER investigation?

Aug 13, 2012, 10:03 AM

Looks like Swifford and his cronies in Chapel Hill deliberately conspired to deceive the NCAA.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UNC probe gets deeper and deeper

Aug 13, 2012, 10:03 AM

Did you read the comments below the article?

You can tell who is a heel fan. "Everybody does this."

Maybe. Maybe not. But YOU are the ones who got caught.

Unlike UNC, everyone else doesn't constantly boast about....

Aug 13, 2012, 10:47 AM

having such a squeaky-clean image and an exceptionally high level of academic integrity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Aug 13, 2012, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: UNC probe gets deeper and deeper ]

Thing is now Swoffy cant afford to have any team on probation of any type. Now if he was athletic director he could probably say something

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Burn, Tarholes, Burn!***

Aug 13, 2012, 10:07 AM

We don't need no water...***

Aug 13, 2012, 5:04 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2012, 10:24 AM

And the NCAA keeps sitting on its A$$.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Aug 13, 2012, 10:28 AM

Reggie Bush. They were dragged kicking and screaming into evaluating that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, the unc probe gets deeper and deeper and

Aug 13, 2012, 10:37 AM

News&Observer reporter Dan Kane has been appointed as "Proctologist to the Tarheels"

I can't possibly express the utter giddiness I feel as I weekly read more on unc's corruption and cover-up. Myself and many others (including a large number of tarheel fans have known this was going on for decades---going on for decades while tens of thousands of light blue minions arrogantly proclaimed themselves public Ivy and beyond any sort of athletic scandal by "doing things the right way--the 'Carolina Way'".....Having endured the 80's and 90's and Clemson's NCAA issues in unc's backyard, I almost feel like driving back and knocking on doors. Honestly, some of the dumbest, most fraudulent individuals I met living there for over 20 years were former unc "student-athletes" who's constant smirk belied how they'd managed to steal a diploma from a fine university that, at one time, could actually lay claim to academic integrity---but those days are gone.

Stay on the job, Dan! You're doing great!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When does it hit the basketball program?

Aug 13, 2012, 11:25 AM

At least at UK it's one .. at most two ... and done. The NCCA rules are the joke.

At UNC, they keep 5* players around for 3 and 4 years. Got to wonder how?

Aug 13, 2012, 10:43 AM

Statefansnation has an article on this that includes a number of related links.

http://www.statefansnation.com/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2012, 11:46 AM

I don't know if the NCAA have the balls to take down the tarholes, but I would so laugh my ### off if UNC loses basketball championships because of this.

Was about to post this but the German bomb would have

Aug 13, 2012, 11:47 AM

gone off. That's huge if it turns out to be legit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what she said

Aug 13, 2012, 11:51 AM

Aug 13, 2012, 2:25 PM

Looks like Butch Davis would be highly PO'ed that the powers at UNC would be so quick to throw him under the bus while protecting Roy and his gang. Davis is now having to fend off more requests for information while Roy sits in his office whistling "Catch Me If You Can". Butch should be throwing lawsuits at UNC to uncover the full story so he won't be the only "big name" coach to swing in the wind. Unfortunately, he's likely gotten piles of under the table money to go quietly. Hopefully, more situations like that with Peppers will be brought to light.

Aug 13, 2012, 2:30 PM

Would like to see Swofford get wrapped up in this scandal like a mummy.

Butchy's not even out of his own trouble yet....Don't forget

Aug 13, 2012, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Re: UNC probe gets deeper and deeper ]

Davis' cell phone records were just ordered to be made available and I doubt that they've been received yet or that enough time has passed to make a thorough inspection.

unc is deathly afraid that, by these records finally being made public, evidence will surface of Davis' involvement with the tutor who paid thousands of dollars of parking tickets for football players and allowed her credit card to be used by a player to purchase airline tix. Not only that, those cell phone bills may prove that Davis had contact with former asst coach John Blake WHILE Blake was acting as a runner for an NFL agent---and simultaneously on unc's payroll as well.

IMO---this investigation of corruption and coverup at unc is getting precipitously close to a point where the NC State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) can start issuing subpoena's---and, of course, then the tutor can't refuse to testify (as she did to the NCAA) and neither can Davis, N'yangoro, or the former admin asst in the African-American Studies dept ALL of whom have refused to go on the record about a number of things.

Don't know that it'll ever happen, but wouldn't it be fun if some of this can be directly traced to John Swofford!!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Butchy's not even out of his own trouble yet....Don't forget

Aug 13, 2012, 3:01 PM

I would give up Christmas for several years to see the UNC basketball program and Swofford get really nailed in the scandal.

Aug 13, 2012, 3:10 PM

and I'd be right there with ya

Aug 13, 2012, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Butchy's not even out of his own trouble yet....Don't forget ]

Unless they have major cajones I would highly doubt that SBI starts issuing subpoena's. It could hurt the "state's university" to much.

7 of the basketball players also, so this is really

Aug 13, 2012, 3:05 PM

gonna hit them where it hurts. Shut the whole program down, this may get alot worse than what Miami is going through

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 7 of the basketball players also, so this is really

Aug 13, 2012, 3:07 PM

and ol Butch partaked at both schools. I like him but he apparently loves that shady stuff.

It's time for a Freeh-like report on the tar holes.

Aug 13, 2012, 4:29 PM

I'm not holding my breath on it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2012, 4:47 PM

Good post in the Sporting News with further insight into the long term mess at UNC:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-08-13/north-carolina-academic-scandal-mark-emmert-ncaa-penn-state

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic