Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Simply put, our team gets spooked in big games.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Simply put, our team gets spooked in big games.

Dec 2, 2013, 11:27 AM

Love the Tigers, always will. And we have a reasonable shot at a national championship with the following formula:

Keep recruiting and hope to get lucky with scheduling and on-field leadership.

We're not really being coached into anything special, but we can still be in the mix if we keep recruiting.

As for the last 5 years...Look at our FSU and USuC records. When the lights go on and the cameras start rolling, it's fair to expect that we're crawling back into our shells. All the other opponents we out-run and push around.

Those are the facts. But the future is unknown.

Just keep recruiting, and I'm sure our coaches are getting better with experience. As for now, it sure sux being this predictable.

We belong in the Peach Bowl with A&M this year. That will be a great game.

Then let's look forward to Stoudt, Kelly and DeShawn battling in the spring and the young defense getting bigger and better and faster and stronger. And maybe, just maybe, we'll be one year closer to not shrinking in the spotlight.

Go Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrong...turnovers won that game...17-17 4th qtr..not spooked***

Dec 2, 2013, 11:28 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly..... then we turn the ball over

Dec 2, 2013, 11:30 AM

not saying he's right... but that sounds like "spooked" to me

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Was "the team" spooked? Or just Adam Humphries?

Dec 2, 2013, 11:39 AM

Seriously, I find it hard to put the blame on the whole team for one guy basically taking us out of position to win the game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

guess I missed all the missed tackles Humphries had

Dec 2, 2013, 11:41 AM

on defense ...

or him jumping offsides...

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Please explain how those led to the loss...

Dec 2, 2013, 11:42 AM

when SC only gained around 300 yards of total offense. How anybody can say the defense should share in the blame for the loss is beyond me. Yeah, that offsides call really hurt, but it wouldn't have mattered if we hadn't given them two extra possessions that led to TDs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Please explain how those led to the loss...

Dec 2, 2013, 12:00 PM

Take a look at time of possession whick was more important to the coots than total yardage. They didn't need a lot of yards to win.

The first fumble was the fault of Martavis Bryant's right

Dec 2, 2013, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Was "the team" spooked? Or just Adam Humphries? ]

hook to the chest/neck area of Humphries just before the ball arrived.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the punt returners job is to field the punt under all

Dec 2, 2013, 11:52 AM

circumstances!! The ball hit Humphries in the chest, he was too far forward!

In fairness to all Humphries should not have been back there

Dec 2, 2013, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Was "the team" spooked? Or just Adam Humphries? ]

The world came to see Sammy Watkins. He's going to the NFL in the first round of the draft, it's on him to make the big plays - and that's punt return duty in the fourth quarter. I don't blame Humphries.

Honestly just this decision blows my mind.

We have the weapons, USE THEM. and if Sammy drops the ball, so be it, but he's gonna get paid the big bucks for a reason - put him on the spot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Adam is only to blame for one turnover. Tajh again played

Dec 2, 2013, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Was "the team" spooked? Or just Adam Humphries? ]

way too up tight and nervous, Martavis had a terrible play on special teams that caused adam to drop the ball.

Tajh and Dabo deserve most of the blame this year.

Chad and Dabo deserve it last year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wrong...turnovers won that game...17-17 4th qtr..not spooked***

Dec 2, 2013, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Wrong...turnovers won that game...17-17 4th qtr..not spooked*** ]

Turnovers factor in most games. Quit making lame excuses.

Just curious if UGAy this year was a big game?

Dec 2, 2013, 11:32 AM

Or LSU '12? VT (both times) in '11?

We lost to the Coots but it's not indicative some larger "we can't play big games" scheme.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA and LSU had nothing tangible at risk. VT yes, great wins***

Dec 2, 2013, 11:34 AM

Nothing tangible at risk? What?

Dec 2, 2013, 11:35 AM

Was the home opener against Auburn a big win?

How about the one in the GA dome?

You know what I mean. No ACCCG implications.

Dec 2, 2013, 11:39 AM

I'm not saying we're a total zero here, but there is a visible trend, and we've had it since long before Dabo.

When there's nothing on the line we do well. When the pressure is on, we shrivel up.

for example, a non-conference game in August against a top 10 team has very little downside - with the exception of getting smoked on national TV. can lose with dignity and still win the conference. no pressure. we won.

The Peach Bowl last year (sorry its just easier to type than chik-fil-a) had no consequence to it. Other than to possibly redeem ourselves from another USC loss or the Orange bowl the year prior, which we're all best off not discussing.

The games that really matter are FSU and USC. Period.

What did Saturday night have to do with ACC Champ?***

Dec 2, 2013, 11:40 AM

nothing; read above. USC game has it's own category.***

Dec 2, 2013, 11:48 AM

How was UGA any different than the USuCk game?

Dec 2, 2013, 11:36 AM [ in reply to UGA and LSU had nothing tangible at risk. VT yes, great wins*** ]

Other than being a bigger stage, top 10 matchup, BCS game trip on the line, bragging rites over rival (who we hadn't beaten in years), etc.

See above, plus these two other reasons:

Dec 2, 2013, 11:42 AM

a late season loss has greater implications on rankings than early season.

and i have compassion for my fellow Tiger fans who live and grew up in South Carolina and believe that the USC game carries 1.5x the weight of any other non-championship game due to state pride. We just can;t keep losing like that.

And spurrier just gets in front of the camera and says as much... they always have a good team - they just can't beat us.

LOL***

Dec 2, 2013, 11:41 AM [ in reply to UGA and LSU had nothing tangible at risk. VT yes, great wins*** ]

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coots and FSU games have big implications

Dec 2, 2013, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Just curious if UGAy this year was a big game? ]

Losing to the coots is in a league by itself in pain. Losing to FSU stops ACC hopes. LSU and Georgia, while big games don't have quite as much on the line. VT did in we did not blink. But that team is exactly this team...different DC and other players. Just like neither of those teams are the team that lost to USF in the bowl game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it was mostly a function of our quarterback being

Dec 2, 2013, 11:41 AM

inconsistent in big games and the doubt that creates in the team. Eliminate that inconsistency at quarterback and the team gains confidence overall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is emotional, both with the good and bad. When things

Dec 2, 2013, 11:57 AM

go against us, his face and demeanor shows this and carries over to the players.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic