Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson accomplishes major sports triple for third year in row
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

May 30, 2011, 1:43 PM

This is the third consecutive year Clemson accomplished the Major Sports Triple and joins ACC rival Florida State as the only two teams in the nation to do the feat three each of the last straight years. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yay Competitiveness!***

May 30, 2011, 1:45 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of you.

How many championships did we win?***

May 30, 2011, 1:46 PM

Would you have preferred Clemson not be invited...

May 30, 2011, 1:50 PM

to the basketball and baseball tournaments? Maybe Clemson should have stayed home. I'd rather be in the field than not have a chance.

Those are not the punchline

May 30, 2011, 1:51 PM

Celebrating losing to USF in the Tire Bowl is the punch line.

Nobody is celebrating losing...

May 30, 2011, 1:57 PM

they are making the statement that Clemson played in a bowl game and the NCAA tournaments in basketball and baseball. I get so sick of this stupid mentality that any season that doesn't end in a championship is some kind of colossal failure. Again, I ask should Clemson have stayed home from the bowl game? Should Clemson turn down post-season bids because they may not win a championship?

6-7 is a failure.

May 30, 2011, 1:58 PM

If that is not what it is considered, we should quite "competing".

In and of itself, it's not to be considered successful, but

Jun 1, 2011, 7:08 PM

the overall accomplishment still stands as stated, and it's a rare feat indeed.

We haven't had a season end in a championship in

May 30, 2011, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Nobody is celebrating losing... ]

5 years for any of those sports. That's the point. Stop trying to polish a turd.

But that doesn't make those seasons failures...

May 30, 2011, 2:02 PM

and it's impossible to win a championship without getting a bid. Get THAT through your thick skull. Should Clemson have stayed home and not played in the basketball and baseball tournaments? Stop acting like championships are all that matter. Yes, they are important, but they aren't the only reason for competing. This is NOT professional sports or don't you understand that?

Where did anyone say you can win championships

May 30, 2011, 2:05 PM

without going to tournaments. Just saying the act of going is not something to celebrate. The act of winning them is. I dont think it is a failure to go. Just nothing to write home about.

When there's more than 300 Division 1 basketball teams...

May 30, 2011, 2:08 PM

and only 68 make the tournament field, I'll celebrate going every day. It sure beats staying home and not having a chance at a championship. You can't win them if you don't go.

i guess that is where we differ.

May 30, 2011, 2:09 PM

I dont think being in the top 68 is good enough. I guess I just expect more. You are more in the "Reasonably Competitive" camp.

Being in the top 25% isn't good enough?...

May 30, 2011, 2:13 PM

What gives you the right to demand more than that in basketball? Is it only acceptable to be in the top 10%? What's wrong with being competitive? Is being non-competitive better? I'd rather be competitive than be a non-factor. There's more to success than winning championships.

I think i actually said expect more, which I have the right

May 30, 2011, 2:18 PM

to do. I guess I could demand more, but doubt it would do much good.

I think we could be better in basketball. And if it is possible to be better, why not expect it. I am actually quite happy with where we are in baseball. I just wish we could break through and win a few more conference titles. Football has been disgracefully underachieving for two decades now and is where most of my frustration lies.

Yeah, Clemson could be better in basketball...

May 30, 2011, 2:25 PM

but that doesn't mean that where they are now is unacceptable. That doesn't mean that making the NCAA Tournament for 4 years in a row for the first time is cause for embarrassment. It's impossible to have a streak of 12-15 straight years without 4 straight to start.

I don't get the obsession with conference titles. In 1991, Clemson won the ACC title, NCAA regional and went to Omaha with a record of 60-8. They came home 60-10. Maybe winning the ACC is good enough, but to me that season is a major disappointment.

Going to Omaha and winning the conference

May 30, 2011, 2:30 PM

is never a dissapointment. I was confused by your logic before, but now my mind is completely blown and the only conclusion I can come up with is that you have no freaking clue what you are talking about.

Conference titles are great because it means you are the best of your peers that year and winning them means you get to go to a BCS bowl or you are going to be a high seed in other post season tournaments. THought that was pretty obvious.

So not winnng a game in Omaha...

May 30, 2011, 2:35 PM

when you're 60-8 going out there isn't a disappointment? I'd rather go 2-2 in Omaha and not win the conference than win the conference and go 0-2 in Omaha. Thought that was pretty obvious.

I would be disappointed we did not do better in Omaha.

May 30, 2011, 2:38 PM

But the season is not a disappointment when you go 60-8 and when a conference title.

Re: I would be disappointed we did not do better in Omaha.

when=win

You are making me dumb.

Re: We haven't had a season end in a championship in

May 31, 2011, 10:30 AM [ in reply to We haven't had a season end in a championship in ]

a real fan sticks behind there team no matter what. there are probably duke fans in football that stick behind there team even if they have a losing season. i think the terd that needs polishing are all these so called fans! GO TIGERS!

teams with 500 records shouldn't be in bowls

May 30, 2011, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Nobody is celebrating losing... ]

typical clemson spin to make avg. above avg

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we can make a turd seem like gold with our spin dept***

May 31, 2011, 10:24 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would prefer to win something***

May 30, 2011, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Would you have preferred Clemson not be invited... ]

Explain to me how Clemson could "win something"...

May 30, 2011, 1:59 PM

without being invited. Is it possible to win a national championship without being in the field? Should Clemson have turned down the bids, especially to the basketball and baseball tournaments?

Of course you accept them. Just don't celebrate them***

May 30, 2011, 2:02 PM

I celebrate the baseball and basketball accomplishments...

I don't celebrate that joke of a football bowl game we went to.

Why not?...

May 30, 2011, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Of course you accept them. Just don't celebrate them*** ]

What's the alternative? Be embarrassed by being invited? What should Clemson say? "Well, we'll take the invitation but we aren't very happy with it"? "We don't want the chance to compete for a national championship"? Why is being in the field a bad thing?

They should not say anything.

May 30, 2011, 2:07 PM

We should act like we expect to go every year to the post season in all three sports and when we dont there is a problem.

So you EXPECT to get an NCAA baseball tourney bid...

May 30, 2011, 2:19 PM

in 2012 without even knowing the makeup of the team? What if Richie Shaffer, Spencer Kieboom, and Dominic Leone all suffer season-ending injuries in February? What if in addition to that, Daniel Gossett, Daniel Norris, Garrett Boulware, Patrick Andrews, Jason Stolz, Phil Pohl and John Hinson all go pro? Would you EXPECT Clemson to go to the tournament anyway?

Yep. Because our program is that good.

May 30, 2011, 2:33 PM

And it should be expected every year. Yes there will be off years once a decade or so.

Then you're being completely unreasonable...

if the things that I posted actually happen, it would be devastating to next year's team. In that case, EXPECTING an NCAA bid is unreasonable. By EXPECTING a bid, you're saying that there's no reason to not get a bid. I'm not talking about over a decade, I'm talking about NEXT YEAR.

how likely is what you posted going to happen?***

May 30, 2011, 2:39 PM

I didn't say it was likely...

May 30, 2011, 2:43 PM

but it's still a possibility even if it's a remote one. That's why I don't go into any season in any sport with expectations. I don't know what's going to happen. I choose to let the season play out and see what happens.

Do you expect it to happen?

May 30, 2011, 2:45 PM

No. So why should I expect it to happen. Since I do not expect it to happen. I expect us to be good enough to go to the post season. And if we are good enough to go then I expect us to go.

I am now going to go stick my head in the microwave oven.

Good day!

Re: They should not say anything.

May 30, 2011, 3:22 PM [ in reply to They should not say anything. ]

I think most of your frustration is with the football program and it is very shared. However I think the reason to point out the major sports triple is summed by your comment that we should expect to be in the post season in all three sports. There are 242 Div 1 FBS football teams, 280 Div 1 baseball teams, and 345 Div 1 basketball teams. I am counting the FCS football teams because they compete in Division 1 for baseball and basketball. Of all these teams, only two have managed to pull the triple three years in a row. And, as of last year, only three had pulled the double. So, last year we were in the company of only FSU and Texas and now us and FSU are the only teams still standing in being able to go to all three postseasons.

I hate the expansion of the bowl system and all the crappy bowls and don't believe that .500 teams should be allowed to go. But, within that system overflowing with crap bowl games, 68 team basketball fields, and a 64 team baseball field less that 1% of the schools that compete have managed to make the postseason in all three the last three years.

I would definitely like to win more championships. But amidst the doom and gloom, realizing that our athletic department has been able to do this thing that no one but FSU has means, at least to me, that we are closer to big things than it might seem when we are in the midst of a three major sport sweep by lowly South Carolina.

Here's hoping that the ladies can bring home a national title in tennis today and that we get a chance to knock South Carolina out of this year's baseball tournament. As someone who went to Omaha last year, I very much want their demise to be at our hands.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

I don't think anyone is talking about baseball and basketbal

May 30, 2011, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Explain to me how Clemson could "win something"... ]

they're talking about being invited to the car or tire bowl or whatever it was in football was no big deal. and losing to USF on top of that.

But the article is about all THREE sports...

May 30, 2011, 2:10 PM

there's more to it than just football.

I realize that, but the football season we had sort of...

May 30, 2011, 2:16 PM

pops the balloon so to speak.

It's not just about football.***

May 30, 2011, 2:20 PM

it's not just about baseball and basketball either.***

May 30, 2011, 2:24 PM

I never said it was.***

May 30, 2011, 2:27 PM

Re: Obviously, he would have.***

May 30, 2011, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Would you have preferred Clemson not be invited... ]

Re: Would you have preferred Clemson not be invited...

May 30, 2011, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Would you have preferred Clemson not be invited... ]

Baseball and basketball are proud accomplishments. Football however had no business going a bowl. The same goes for most other bowls. I hate these bottom feeder bowl games.

The losing season last year killed this stat for me.

May 30, 2011, 1:47 PM

Baseball and Basketball have been impressive... but I'm not counting last football season as anything but a massive failure.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The losing season last year killed this stat for me.

May 30, 2011, 1:54 PM

Yeah....look at us.....we went to the third rate tire bowl and got blown out by a team that did not even exist 10 years ago.

Reasonably Competitive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

May 30, 2011, 1:48 PM

Yawn***

May 30, 2011, 1:59 PM

Re: Clemson accomplishes major sports triple for third year in row

sigh, it'd be nice if we had some conference championships or something along with that.....

I sent this to every

May 30, 2011, 2:12 PM

Florida, FSU, UCONN, and Auburn fan that I know! They were all soooo jealous!

But Florida fans, they are so spoiled. They said this was a down year for them because they beat Penn State in a New Year's day bowl. The nerve of them to actually expect to be in a BCS bowl. They were also ungrateful for making it to the elite 8, they wanted to be in the final four.

UCONN fans also had an attitude! They said something about being in a BCS bowl this year, winning a men's basketball national title, and having their women's team lose in the final four after a long winning streak ended earlier in the year. Then something about "see you on the diamond this weekend." Snobs!

and while you're at it...

May 30, 2011, 2:36 PM

make sure the shamecock fans see it too

A bowl used to really be an acomplishment

May 30, 2011, 2:13 PM

with so many now all you have to do is have a winning record. Pretty empty stat when you make a low tier bowl now

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A bowl used to really be an acomplishment

May 30, 2011, 2:30 PM

How about my Dogs.

Made the Quarterfinals in the FCS after winning the So Con title.

Made the NCAA tourney after winning the So Con tourney over the media darling of College of Knowledge and Cremins.

Soccer team made the NCAA D1 tourney.

I think we have a baseball team, not sure however ;>)

Not bad for a little school in SC.

you don't have to have a winning record....just break even

May 31, 2011, 10:26 AM [ in reply to A bowl used to really be an acomplishment ]

to get into a bowl now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Typical contrived, meaningless stat from the AD. Like...

May 30, 2011, 2:47 PM

This reminds me of the stat that they contrived about Tommy Bowden which went something like... "Tommy Bowden is the only active coach in the ACC who has never had a losing season."

A losing season, perennial toilet bowls and the basketball team never makes it past the 1st round (field of 64). Hurray. Let's all celebrate the wonderful job that the AD has done.

Well, that's one way to spin it.***

May 30, 2011, 3:41 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

This is in NO WAY a accomplishment

May 30, 2011, 3:57 PM

and to even see it referred to as a accomplishment or a "feat" is an embarrassment.

The AD has to create something to make their

May 30, 2011, 6:03 PM

product look good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Tim Bourret is horrible. He gives stupid stats like

May 31, 2011, 7:03 AM

" the last time the Tigers won at home on a Monday with a full moon and school not in session was in 1976". We get this while non avid fans don't know about Bob Pollocks unbelievable success until it's in his obituary. Another area is Golf where if any other school in the nation had our success, it would be known by all. He may be liked by other SIDs but he does not promote Clemson to the local and national media well at all.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tim's paid to spin. What's TNet's excuse for parroting crap?***

Jun 1, 2011, 6:27 PM

Bourette has simply been doing it too long

Jun 1, 2011, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Tim Bourret is horrible. He gives stupid stats like ]

he has too make up those outlandish stats

I find his knowledge of Clemson..

Jun 1, 2011, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Tim Bourret is horrible. He gives stupid stats like ]

quite amazing. Wish I had that kind of memory

the baseball and basketball accomplishments are wonderful

May 31, 2011, 10:23 AM

but come on...making a bowl game today is not some great accomplishment.

you guys are unbelievable...now Tim Bouret has to go

Jun 1, 2011, 7:36 PM

I'm glad none of you people are my boss.

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic