Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Two takes on our very good defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,874

Two takes on our very good defense

Oct 4, 2015, 9:24 AM

1) Depth will be an issue all year, I think we know that. Hopefully as the season progresses it will develop. Need particularly at DE and LB

2) Biggest hole is at WILL, we REALLY miss Wiggins. Love the toughness and story of Blanks but on the wheel route to Procise his lack of mobility and speed were so evident. Not sure what the answer is here as Carter the backup badly blew the game tying TD coverage. Not sure who we could work in there but this position is a real weakness.

We have a very good defense, but these areas need improvement. Great, gutty win.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree 100%**

Oct 4, 2015, 10:29 AM

nm

Re: Blanks

Oct 4, 2015, 11:27 AM

That play had nothing to do with his ability. He just let his eyes get focused inside downfield and blew his assignment. Had a perfect view of it from where we sit.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Blanks

Oct 4, 2015, 12:19 PM

As much respect as I have for Blanks heart he does get out of position a bit more than I'm comfortable with. That said, agree that depth is a concern, we knew that coming in. Hopefully some of the younger guys are going to start getting it soon. I am actually really impressed with Wilkins, kid is for real. Fields was on the field a few times last night, so hopefully it all pays off.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm wondering if Fields may get time as the nickel

Oct 4, 2015, 12:46 PM

as we progress here. Neither Blanks or Carter are covering anyone. Was a big hole exposed last night. That said, I'm confident BV will deal with it, will just need different personnel

Did you see Procise kick it in gear and blow his doors off

Oct 4, 2015, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Blanks ]

after the catch. He's still good against the run but after two ACL injuries his burst is way gone. Maybe after another year of recovery he regains it but he could not cover an offensive guard right now

Re: Two takes on our very good defense

Oct 4, 2015, 12:27 PM

I guess they don't trust Dorian O'Daniels pass coverage yet. I fully expect to see a lot of him against GT though

Oct 4, 2015, 12:29 PM

The defense can be very good. The second half against Notre Dame exposed issues that need to be addressed and resolved quickly.

First, defensive team members do not stand around and do nothing. Too many were standing around decorating scenery.

Second, stop the opposing team's players from running free with the ball. Notre Dame picked up many first downs because no Tigers stepped up to cover and stop the run.

Third, Brent Venables needs to discipline the defense better.

Oct 4, 2015, 12:37 PM

My problem isn't with personnel (although I agree our guys got tired last night), but more with the play calling on defense. Why when we dominate for three quarters do we go into a prevent rushing only 3 guys for much of the fourth? You give a QB enough time and they will find an open receiver. That is what happened over and over.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, they picked up our blitzes and burned us

Oct 4, 2015, 12:48 PM

it wasn't a prevent, just a 2 deep. We played it the whole game

Oct 4, 2015, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Two takes on our very good defense ]

The defensive line could have been between tired and slacking off. The energy was still there. Too many bad defensive plays do make players tired. The defense needs to make smarter plays, execute quickly, and shutdown the opposition when possible.

Oct 4, 2015, 1:06 PM

I agree with the issues we have in the secondary.

But it's a little unfair to the D, who is basically winning all of our games right now, when the O continues to go 3-and-out time after time. The D probably started to tire at some point, and it showed. Our O needs their butts chewed out, and they need to make some first downs occasionally. Give our D a break will ya'.

ST's still scare me. They are not fixed yet. At some point we need to determine if we would be better off just kicking the dang ball out of bounds every time. Somebody probably can determine that from our stats on KO returns.

See, I'm unconcerned about the offense

Oct 4, 2015, 1:22 PM

Last 2 games we had a quick turnaround and limited reps at Louisville and then a monsoon with a big lead last night. Both those situations called for more conservative play calling. Only real hole on offense right now is who steps up and fills Williams void. And we have depth there.

I think we see things open up on offense as we move forward on a more routine schedule with hopefully better weather.

Defense lacks depth. Against GT we need that first team to play stout, which I think they will. Get a lead and build more reps for the backups against them and BC. We'll need the depth against two good offenses is Miami and State. WILL is a hole with no real fix right now

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,874
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic