Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
5 Concerns - The sky is not falling, but...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

5 Concerns - The sky is not falling, but...

Oct 5, 2020, 11:34 AM

1. Our DL gets no push and struggled to contain a white QB. What happens with an actual athletic QB this Saturday?

2. BV does not get the playcall to our players in time for them to properly line up. What happens when Miami goes tempo?

3. All of ETN's rushing yards came from him breaking tackles, not because our OL blocked for him. What happens if Miami actually tackles?

4. TL wants to go tempo, but the coaches do not give him the playcalls - offense has no rhythm. Is this a problem against a Top 10 team?

5. How will we cover the TE? LBs and Safeties seems slow. What will happen Sat?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 5 Concerns - The sky is not falling, but...

Oct 5, 2020, 11:39 AM

You might want to retract your first sentence. What difference does his skin color matter. If he can run, he can run.

Come on man.

Oct 5, 2020, 11:42 AM

There's a difference. I can't explain why, but it is what it is.

Re: Come on man.

Oct 5, 2020, 9:40 PM

Agreed with the first sentence retraction especially in today’s environment.

Trevor Lawrence says hello by the way. The kid can run. He can just pass better.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2020, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: 5 Concerns - The sky is not falling, but... ]

I agree. You might want to retract all five or either you can call yourself a coot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2020, 11:43 AM

You don't need to explain anything. An athlete is an athlete.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well let's focus on the fact that King is a superior athlete

Oct 5, 2020, 11:46 AM

and will give us HEYULL if we play like that on Satdy

Oct 5, 2020, 11:44 AM

It appeared to me Saturday night that the defense was constantly looking at the sidelines for signals. I’m not sure if there was confusion among the players or what! One thing for sure, the QB was not defended very well. I can’t recall a rival QB doing what the Virginia guy was able to do Against Coach Vs squad.

The highlight of the game was the kickoff return by Dixon to start the game. That was almost a TD .. I bet we see Dixon again. He also dropped a sure touchdown pass later in the game.

The past interception by Booth was an incredible catch.

Oct 5, 2020, 11:50 AM

We are extremely young on the defensive side, talented, but young. They will get better as the season progresses.

Two DL starters did not play vs Virginia.

Oct 6, 2020, 11:14 AM

They will be back this week.

Bresee and Murphy are tremendous athletes, but they lack experience.

Oct 6, 2020, 12:14 AM [ in reply to Re: 5 Concerns - The sky is not falling, but... ]

Forrest,well, yes and no. I told my wife during the game at end of the half; our two biggest ###### in the Defensive armor was defending tempo, hate to bring it up, but remember 5Head Bentley too years ago? They still lost by a couple dozen, but they DID get yards and points. Simply by going hurry up and not allowing the defense to look at the sidelines to adjust. And that was with the Power Rangers. I think we will he fine, but a team that is good and can go hurry up is a bit of a concern. The other problem is covering a good Back out of the backfield, screens etc. LBs matched up outside of Simmons and O'Daniel were a bit too slow of foot. Remember Boulware on the ND RB? Still, BV usually has a plan, and until we actually lose games like that, I'm not going to stress much on it. Just saying we are not quite bulletproof even with BV who by the way IS bulletproof or at least crazy enough to think he is. He reminds me of that ol boy after the 6th tequila shot! :)

Oct 5, 2020, 12:02 PM

1. Armstrong was having one of "those" games where he was just unnaturally accurate. QBs get hot, does not mean they are always hot. That game kinda reminded me of the 2018 coot game. Can BV shut down a mobile QB? Yes, see Perkins, Tua, etc. However, no matter what, when a QB his having those chuck-ups caught and then he is mobile, it is tough to defend. Don't consider UVA to be poorly coached with limited talent. They are highly well coached with better talent. They may be one of the best ACC teams this year. We still out-paced them and controlled the game. UVA truly gave us a great game and brought their best. It was still 3+ possession game.

2. Not worried about BV being prepared. Our D will be just as effective VS tempo as we will be otherwise.

3. Part of breaking a tackle is also having defenders with bad angles. Blocking successfully creates those bad angles. Many of those broken tackles happen after ETN hit holes. The trick is that ETN turns sub 3 yards into 4-6 years, and 4-6 yard carries into 8+.

4/5. Clemson has not shown its hand yet offensively or defensively. Much of what we have seen still reminds me of our staff's experimental nature.

Finally, not every game with be 30+ margin and this season in particular becomes more important about cycling different players and schemes when you can control and test the effectiveness.

Next, Miami *might* not be as good. Jacksonville State outplayed FSU, UofL has been lackluster at best and their best win might be UAB. Miami has looked good against two teams without a conference win. Heck UVA looked better against Duke than ND did. Still early in the season and we will see if Miami is early season fluff or has some backbone.

Oct 5, 2020, 12:18 PM

Caddie used to be considered top of the line ,then along came Lexus :)

Oct 5, 2020, 12:25 PM

Regarding #2: this has been a concern of mine as well. LSU, UVA, even the coots, and maybe another team or two have tried to expose our back and forth with the sideline on Defense. Not concerned with BV not having a solution, but is there not some responsibility of that play calling that can be transferred to the LB in those situations? However, I never played football and I'm just a dumb fan, so I trust the coaches.

Oct 5, 2020, 10:20 PM

By design BV calls the D after a play is signaled in to the O. Many opposing coaches have commented on BVs tendency to steal signs from the sideline. Sometimes you wait too long hoping to steal the sign and get caught moving around.

Oct 5, 2020, 12:41 PM

1. Let's start with the fact Virginia averaged, yes AVERAGED 315lbs. on the o-line. Their o-line was all juniors as seniors. Now, you say we got no push while others are arguing that we rushed PAST the QB too many times. Both of those things can't be true. Reality is some of our young DL are still more focused on beating their man instead playing assignments and UVA's line let us get penetration as long as it was away from the play or the pocket. The pushed us past the play. Smart by them and what should be an easy correction for our guys.

2. We are caught off guard at times when the opposing team runs fast. We have played 2 ACC teams who run extremely fast on offense. Miami will do that same. Hopefully we will continue to improve in that area with our young players on defense.

3. Miami has really good defensive ends. I know nothing about their DTs. If Miami loads the box in the same way UVA did, ETN could have another 100 yards receiving this week. It's tough to block more guys than you have linemen on run plays. Miami has to choose to soften up backers for the short passing game or to bring them up to stop the run. I like that we have multiple ways to get the ball to ETN right now and I hope we keep using all of them.

4. Coaches know more than players in most cases. Yes, faster tempo can help an offense get rhythm. It can also be a quick exit from the field like we saw several times Saturday night. A good coach will balance the two based on the flow of the game. Also I feel like this is in reference to 1 snapshot of TL saying "hurry up" during the game and is most likely and overgeneralization.

5. Miami's TE is tall and good but I'm not sure that he is blazing fast. Hopefully we got a good prep in while covering UVA's pair of 6'7" pass catchers (1 TE, 1 WR). I saw safeties cover both of them on Saturday night. I'm sure Miami's TE will make some plays, but hopefully we can minimize those to just a couple.

Oct 5, 2020, 7:56 PM

No one has mentioned that TL really didn’t throw downfield in this game. I don’t know what his longest pass was but he surely didn’t “sling it” all night. I’m sure there was a good reason for that. I don’t think Ladson is our only deep threat.

I’ve not watched a replay of this game and I’m sure I missed a lot sitting in my end zone seat so give me your impression of the receivers. Rogers certainly had a great night.

He went long three straight times just before the half and

Oct 6, 2020, 11:17 AM

the result was a quick “three-and-out” that gave Virginia the ball back with time to drive for a score.

Oct 6, 2020, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: 5 Concerns - The sky is not falling, but... ]

In regards to your question about deep threats, I think Ngata is a deep threat that we missed last game.

Amari can run deep routes but in a different way than Ngata and Ladson. He caught a long TD pass Saturday night on a 3rd and long play.

Powell and Spector don't offer anything downfield.

Overall I felt like we tried to push the ball downfield some but did not do so successfully. A couple of missed connections with Galloway and a few balls that had to be thrown away deep down the field because we were covered everywhere or there was pressure. Virginia also showed some different types of pressure and I feel like we went away from longer developing routes because we weren't sure we could block for them.

I felt our entire offense was inconsistent Saturday night. We showed some drives where we would appear to be getting into a rhythm and then the next drive we would be out of sorts again. The WRs performed in line with that description.

FORESTTIGER

Oct 5, 2020, 7:59 PM

Are you talking about CU vs, Miami or CU vs OSU last year. I seem to recall many of those same comments last year on the board. Simmons speed excluded.

How did that game turn out?

Delete This Post Now....It Will Not Age Well***

Oct 5, 2020, 8:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2020, 8:46 PM

Deer Caddie. You serious? If so, recent stroke? If no, see first question.

Oct 5, 2020, 8:57 PM

1) Virginia’s offensive line was huge. Not bad either. We blitzed very little while running a 3-4 defense most of the game. We will run a different scheme against UM
2) if you have watched Clemson since BV has been here it’s the same as it’s always has been. Not concerned.
3) ETN has been breaking tackles for a long time. He’s going to just lay down for UM? I don’t think so. Also, I doubt we run the slow read option much against UM. Expect some counters and quick hitting runs.
4) we will go fast when we need to.
5) I’m more concerned with our LB’s against the run. I think our pass coverage will be good enough.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2020, 9:09 PM

Great post except “white Qb” remark. Still, good to read perspectives on this. A far cry better than many recent posts. Agree there are wrinkles to iron out, but we have a strong history of doing that. This is a quirky season so I’m reminded to be grateful we are playing at all. Trust we will step it up Saturday night.

I think UVA was better in areas like DL than they get credit

Oct 5, 2020, 9:44 PM

for. Hoping to see some better performance from The Tigers Saturday night.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2020, 9:54 PM

I think all are valid concerns at the end of the day.

1. I think Davis will help quite a bit. Hopefully we get Foster back. What would be really crazy is if they decided to sprinkle in XT. I mean come on did the guy really get that far out of shape where he cannot come in and play 10 to 15 plays. Boy we are really not used to our Tigers not getting pressure on the QB. Of course his running ability could have caused that as well.

2. Is nothing new. Just have to live with it.

3. The oline was not good in the run game the other night. Definitely a concern, but ETN caused those to be missed tackles and may need to do so Saturday.

4. I would love to see us crank it up with some more aggressive tempo.

5. We are missing some of the talent in the LB core that we have had in the past. Spector is solid, but we really need a game changer to step up in the LB core in addition to Skalski.

Oct 5, 2020, 10:28 PM

Heavens to Betsy Martha,
Di did you know that Quartee Back from Virginia was white?
What did that have to do with any part of this?

No need for racist comments.***

Oct 5, 2020, 10:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic