Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Two DIY renovation projects done. Sorry, no pallets.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 492

Two DIY renovation projects done. Sorry, no pallets.

Sep 21, 2020, 8:43 AM

Since COVID provided extra home time, got these two items finished. No pallets were harmed during either project.

First, redid the screened in porch just in time for nice football watching weather. The old porch was built with crappy, interior use laminated wood that was coming apart. Those were ripped out and the wall redone with pressure treated lumber and hardie plank.

Original:

Took out two leaking sky lights. Put up tin from my wife's grandmothers farm on the inside. Added two ceiling fans. Redid all the screens. Repainted the whole thing plus changed the house side color to match the rest of the porch. Painted the floor gray (Sherwin Williams Deck and Porch paint is awesome, btw). Stained the swing.

Left about a 6" gap all the way around the tin and ran an LED rope light. Now we can have ambient light at night without being blinded.

Also, our basement was only partially finished (bathroom w/ closet and a TV room). The bathroom and diamond shaped closet took up a ton of square footage. We're in the process of finishing the rest, but currently waiting on some jackleg contractor to come out and install a beam. He's holding up my progress.

Original bathroom. Toilet location stayed, but rotated the vanity and plumbing 90 degrees counter-clockwise since we've moved the entry door to that side. Also the old ceiling was gyp and the main shut off and pressure reducing valve were over it so it's now ACT.

HULK SMASH!

New door to be cut in from this side:

Tile removed with ease thanks to an air chisel and ceiling ripped down.

Leveled the floor since only part of it was tile previously.

Ditra time...

All done! Also added a ceiling exhaust fan and routed it outside. Something the last bathroom lacked.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Strong work, friend.

Sep 21, 2020, 8:57 AM

On a scale of FBCOACH to CLEMSONZJ, I'm a solid RYANADIDAS when it comes to home improvement/renovation quality.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Those rafter tails

Sep 21, 2020, 9:04 AM

were cut a bit short. The bottom of the rafter should not be cut flat before the support without design checking it. Google "birdsmouth rafters"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed....

Sep 21, 2020, 9:12 AM

However the previous homeowners were the cheapest people on earth and hired the worst contractors ever. The porch is 20+ years old and held over a foot of snow so I figure it's okay.

One of the windows in the master had a broken sash lock. It's a $2-3 part at HD. Why spend that when you can just screw the window closed? SMDH.

Nice work on the bathroom, but I gotta say it's not finished

Sep 21, 2020, 9:05 AM

HOW TF CAN I DRY MY HANDS IN THERE AFTER I DROP A HOT LOAD IF THERE'S NO HAND TOWEL??????

wipe them on your jorts

Sep 21, 2020, 9:12 AM

or just don't get poop on your hands, savage.

Good lord dude, major props***

Sep 21, 2020, 9:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Two DIY renovation projects done. Sorry, no pallets.

Sep 21, 2020, 9:25 AM

Porch looks great.

That is nice and all, but you haven't lived until you

Sep 21, 2020, 9:26 AM

twist a shower knob so hard the stem breaks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amazing

Sep 21, 2020, 9:42 AM

that some of you can do this type of stuff. I could have knocked the wall down, that is about all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Enough time and youtube videos and you can accomplish

Sep 21, 2020, 9:48 AM

anything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can hold a flashlight

Sep 21, 2020, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Amazing ]

"why are you yelling at me dad??"

thought the punchline wuz gone be

Sep 21, 2020, 10:40 AM

...but I can't shine a light.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can hold a fleshlight

Sep 21, 2020, 11:36 AM [ in reply to I can hold a flashlight ]

ftfy

Woah, slow your roll amigo....

Sep 21, 2020, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Amazing ]

Let's start with replacing our own sprinkler heads, then we'll move to wall demolition.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look man, one of those seems fun and the other

Sep 21, 2020, 10:04 AM

just sucks. There is also about to be a culture war on lawns so let the man knock out walls.

https://www.permaculturenews.org/2016/06/03/why-our-lawns-are-bad-for-the-environment-and-how-to-change-them-for-the-better/

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Done that many times.

Sep 21, 2020, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Woah, slow your roll amigo.... ]

I will tell you it is much easier to do in sandy soil than in the red clay we have in the upstate.

Hours vs. minutes difference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I also have clay, and it does add a good 15 minutes

Sep 21, 2020, 10:22 AM

Assuming you mean just a sprinkler head. Running a new line, it adds HOURS and a good half-gallon of additional sweat.

Pro tip....learned from my grandfather with clay soil in Anderson Co.......

When burying our last pet, we had a spot picked for him that was perfect. It also had some of the toughest clay soil I've ever dug in. Had to turn this sucker around.......

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is what I use in PI and it is overkill

Sep 21, 2020, 11:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have super hard clay soil, like harder than normal clay

Sep 21, 2020, 2:13 PM

I'm convinced. You literally can not dig it with a full size shovel, depending on where you are in the yard. Like jump on the shovel and get maybe a 2" wedge out. And I'm full grown and north of 200lbs.

At least I'm not worried about the foundation settling. The men who dug that, or the machinery, whatever, was stout.

First rate DYI projects. Congrats!

Sep 21, 2020, 9:49 AM

I wish I would have had the balls to tackle this type of project in my younger days. Built a few decks and poured concrete walkways but nothing to this level.

Props to you sir!

People like you really grab my goat.

Sep 21, 2020, 3:14 PM

Dang nice work.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I’m not familiar with that phrase.

Sep 21, 2020, 3:16 PM

It sounds like a recap of FBC’s prom night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 492
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic