Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should parents withdraw their children
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 2,325

Should parents withdraw their children

Jul 14, 2020, 10:57 AM

From Clemson if it goes to online classes?

That’s a lot of cabbage to have your kids sitting on the sofa eating your potato chips.

No reason academia shouldn’t share the pain

Ps. I like the white tops with purple pants combo

Message was edited by: clemchem®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No***

Jul 14, 2020, 10:59 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No***

Jul 14, 2020, 10:59 AM

Tuition should be reduced! Not receiving the same product.***

Jul 14, 2020, 11:01 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point, this has been brought up a lot at my school...

Jul 14, 2020, 1:46 PM

I teach at a very expensive international school. The fees for transport and lunch have been cut obviously.

But beyond that, some parents want the short-term savings of the operational costs passed on to them but as it turns out there is not that much to even worry about when you factor everything in.

A majority of my school's budget (and most schools I would assume) is paying staff. I don't think teachers deserve a pay cut but I am obviously biased.

Most of my job is lecturing, grading, providing feedback, and extra help. Some aspects are more difficult online and others are easier. Not having to deal with the behavior problems of some kids is easier.

I think a lot of parents respect what we do a lot more with classroom management after having their kids at home a while. =)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good question. My company has adopted on-line

Jul 14, 2020, 11:01 AM

training in lieu of in-person training classes and we still charge the same rate.

Time will tell what the market will justify...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would be self defeating for me

Jul 14, 2020, 11:02 AM

My Clemson student has one semester to go; I am just hoping that COVID doesn't stretch that one semester into two!

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

Maybe...could save them a year of eligibility

Jul 14, 2020, 11:04 AM

Oh, you're not talking about football? Just assumed you were, for some reason. ;)

Re: Should parents withdraw their children

Jul 14, 2020, 11:22 AM

My son is a Soph and has decided to take a semester off to see how things shake out. IMO his decision to make (his life) but he and I talked and I support his decision at this time. He honestly struggled with online classes in the spring and doesn’t want to tackle classes with significant technical content/rigor online if he doesn’t have to.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do they offer Gap semesters from Adulting? Sign me up please***

Jul 14, 2020, 4:51 PM

Jul 14, 2020, 11:30 AM

If Clemson goes to 100% online classes, I will certainly be looking for a refund. The reason you go to college is to learn from the instructors. Some students may do fine with online classes, while others will greatly suffer. If the professors don't want to be exposed, let the graduate students do the teaching.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

My kid is in nursing and needs clinicals to graduate on time

Jul 14, 2020, 1:16 PM

in December. Pretty sure you can't get "hands on" experience online

Jul 14, 2020, 11:36 AM

If your kid is sitting on the sofa eating chips is that Clemson's responsibility or your or your kids? Withdrawing them is not gonna help them get ready for adult life.

True...but

Jul 14, 2020, 12:45 PM

if my son wanted an online degree from Univ of Phoenix (or similar), that’s what he would have signed up and paid for. That’s not meant as a slight to schools offering online degrees...and I think Admin at Clemson is probably doing the best they can with the cards they’ve been dealt...but he’s gonna sit out a beat and see how things unfold. He’s young and has the luxury of time.

Re: True...but

Jul 14, 2020, 10:24 PM

It should probably be a bit of slight. Students have to do what they can (though technical schools are typically a better option than 4 year online schools), but many online schools are pretty reprehensible. They are almost all for-profit institutions that charge students equivalent amounts to other schools to take advantage of Federal loans. They saddle these students with a ton of debt, and then offer them very little in the way of employment outcomes. They ruin tons of lives in search of a quick dollar.

Jul 14, 2020, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Should parents withdraw their children ]

GEPSTiger said:

If your kid is sitting on the sofa eating chips is that Clemson's responsibility or your or your kids? Withdrawing them is not gonna help them get ready for adult life.

Neither will online classes but I do agree with you about kids behavior being the parents responsibility and not the institution, be it college or public school. We have become a society of expecting the government/system to not only teach but discipline and care for our kids.

WRONG BOARD MORAN!!!***

Jul 14, 2020, 12:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I would say no because

Jul 14, 2020, 1:34 PM

the appearance of the product has changed, but if student's are conscientious about actively pursuing their education, there is no reason that the quality of the product has to be diminished. Lots of professors and working hard to deliver a quality education through these new means and methods.

BTW, public school teachers are busting their humps to do the same - find a way to deliver quality education to diligent students.

Im sure there are plenty teachers NOT busting their hump also. Im sure many are on virtual vacation.***

Jul 14, 2020, 1:41 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is the overall perspective ?

Jul 14, 2020, 5:16 PM

KB,

With over 5 million teachers and professors in the country, I am sure that you are correct, but as someone still in touch with many teachers, I have been impressed with their dedication and their adaptability.

A curiosity question - I wonder who has responded more diligently to this crisis as a group - teachers, students. or parents ??

No, but there should be a significant refund!***

Jul 14, 2020, 1:43 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2020, 10:19 PM

They should defer a year for sure. South Carolina's education needs an overhaul as it is and is very expensive. If you're going to "attending" classes virtually, you're not receiving the same caliber of education you get in person. Online classes really are not conducive to learning with all the various distractions and incentives to do open-book exams. If they do not correspondingly lower tuition or increase grants, then you shouldn't pay for it. Why pay the same for an inferior product?

Replies: 21
| visibility 2,325
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic