Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hunter Johnson will start the first game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Hunter Johnson will start the first game

Apr 9, 2017, 9:12 PM

He had the worst pass protection but showed his ability to get out of the pocket and find an open receiver. I was impressed with his quickness and mobility. The one INT was basically a punt he threw deep on third and long. Tucker doesn't have the running ability and Kelly Bryant doesn't have the accuracy. Cooper has the tools but Johnson just looked better IMO especially considering he just arrived on campus in January and the other 3 have at least a full year in the system....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hunter Johnson will start the first game

Apr 9, 2017, 9:15 PM

Do we throw Hunter in against Auburn week 2 against their new star QB....I don't think so.

"We". LOL.***

Apr 9, 2017, 9:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

They threw a kindergartner in against UMass.....why not?***

Apr 9, 2017, 9:43 PM

And he still hasn't beaten a D1 team***

Apr 10, 2017, 11:05 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

We would beat auburn even if 3 and out stoudt was still

Apr 10, 2017, 5:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson will start the first game ]

The QB

Message was edited by: MoneyMike23®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2017, 9:17 PM

All I've heard all off season, from Dabo mind you, is how Bryant is the leader. Even if Hunter looks a little better, he will not start against Kent State. Dabo will give Bryant every opportunity because he's 'paid his dues.' Dabo actually said that about Stoudt. No reason to think he's changed his philosophy.

Apr 9, 2017, 9:52 PM

It's "NOT" a matter (I've said this before) of who has been at Clemson the longest, and it never ever should be. First and foremost, it should and has to be the next man up that gives us the best possible chance to win. Our coaches have been coaching long enough to know who that player is without using the elimination process by how well they do in how many games they get a chance to play bc they have paid their dues, playing with that type of a rule is the worst type of payment plan, it can and will bankrupt all the hard work the rest of the team has put in while paying their dues bc they are the best we could have played in that position. In every circumstance, it should be without a question, the next man up must be the best we have in every circumstance without any Ifs, Ands, or Buts being in question. There shouldn't ever be any favoritism regardless of how long any player has been with the team, especially with the most important position on the field as the QB position will always be.

Bryant or Cooper will start the first game.

Apr 9, 2017, 9:27 PM

Hunter will get some good reps in the game. But no way he starts against Kent St.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bryant or Cooper will start the first game.

Apr 9, 2017, 9:38 PM

Dabo always gives the most experienced player a chance. Bryant will be the starter against Kent State but his performance will determine how long he holds the job. Kent State should not be a challenge . If Bryant struggles passing against a weak team, Dabo will have to consider Cooper or Hunter to run the offense that we have run the past three years.

Apr 9, 2017, 9:28 PM

Good lord

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Apr 9, 2017, 9:42 PM

Interesting to see such different opinions on choosing the best quarterback. Looking forward to seeing what happens this fall. After the experience of spring practice, the quarterback(s) with the better talent should be able to use the summer to make considerable improvement in their game.

Agree. There are people on all 3 sides of this competition

Apr 10, 2017, 7:42 AM

I'm just glad we have 3 viable answers rather than a big question mark.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Tucker Isreal will have a say in all this.***

Apr 9, 2017, 9:50 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ehh, it's still up in the air...

Apr 9, 2017, 11:25 PM

...Bryant couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if his life depended on it...footwork sparkled though.

Both Johnson and Isreal showed some reasonable passing skills...

Cooper didn't show me much either way...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ehh, it's still up in the air...

Apr 10, 2017, 12:22 AM

Nothing against any of the qbs! Start the qb that moves the ball both on the ground and in the air as our offense requires. If that is Bryant that's fine. If it's Johnson,Cooper,or Israel, that's fine too. Next year the debate will be over Trevor Lawrence.

Cooper didn't show you much?

Apr 10, 2017, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Ehh, it's still up in the air... ]

Check the stats and rewatch of the game. He had the 2nd best performance behind Tucker.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2017, 7:34 AM

I actually think Johnson has the potential to become our starter, but I still see Cooper as the best overall from just viewing the SG. That INT Johnson threw was a mistake on his part IMO, as I think he should have pulled it down and ran for the first down. He threw into double coverage and wasn't close. He also did not escape those sacks enough, even though his protection sucked. DW4 would have escaped and I'm totally spoiled. In his favor, he learned how to escape the pressure after a few sacks. And his TD pass was the best throw of the day IMO. Again - his potential will keep him right behind Cooper for 'best'.

Apr 10, 2017, 7:40 AM

Just like to add, Tucker Israel threw several passes up for grabs that could have been intercepted but weren't. His passes lack zip but are catchable. The windows in college are much smaller that high school, I am not convinced his skills translate yet. Cooper or Johnson seem the better options at this point.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2017, 7:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson will start the first game ]

I think what we learned Sat was that we still don't know. I don't see how any of you,from that game , can say who should be the starter. It is now a 4 man race. Tucker is the only one that raised his position. They all had bright spots but all had ### moments. But none of them had much time to throw.

Cooper was more impressive than Johnson...

Apr 10, 2017, 7:53 AM

They both had terrible blocking, but Cooper was 11-18 for 81 yds while Johnson was 5-13 for 48 yds. Cooper also added 26 yds on the ground and led 2 nice drives (one for a TD, the other was a missed FG).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2017, 8:01 AM

Really sad how many QB experts we have on the board that are now going out of there way to diminish Bryants abilities.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Apr 10, 2017, 8:20 AM

Seriously dude, are you blind? We all would LOVE Bryant to succeed and end this "debate". But he was 4-13 for 43 yards, 32 of which came on a "shuttle pass" to McCloud. He threw an int and missed numerous short dump offs to the RB badly. If his finger was the issue fine. But that throwing performance flat out stunk. His feet show rare ability, but we need a little more than that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2017, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson will start the first game ]

Actually I'm not an expert at any position, I just want the next man up to be the best we have regardless of how many days or years that player has been with the teem!!!

Apr 10, 2017, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson will start the first game ]

We have a four man battle for QB....not sure what the problem is with discussing who the best option is.

Apr 10, 2017, 8:20 AM

I am with you on that, I think Hunter is the best option. But the staff isn't going
just hand it over to him,he'll have to earn it.

Apr 10, 2017, 9:29 AM

Lets all remember Tajh looked bad at the 2011 spring game. Especially as deep as our defense is, both defenses Saturday could have started at a lot of places but we dont have the same kind of depth at OL yet. A long way to go to see who is QB1.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic