Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tucker Israel named starting QB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 3,861

Tucker Israel named starting QB

May 6, 2017, 2:55 PM

Not really ... but neither was anyone else, actually...

Dabo said KB would start if we played tomorrow, "we don't play tomorrow"...

Watch out for Tucker Israel ... people keep doubting him , adding fuel to the 4th string fire ??... He looked the best and was the best on paper at the Orange and White game ... which his team won ..

Don't Deshaun Watson this guy and ignore him like the NFL draft ( although, Houston seems to be a perfect fit for D4. God bless him! )

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A guy named Matt Schell won the QB laurels in the O&W game

May 6, 2017, 2:59 PM

A guy named Matt Schell won the QB laurels in the O&W game back in 2000, but then he never took a meaningful snap his entire career.

You simply can't read much of anything into a standout performance in the Spring Game.

http://old.chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2000/04/16/col_287510.shtml

CLEMSON, S.C. -- Lost in Clemson's depth-chart shuffling, Matt Schell catapulted himself into contention.
Schell was the forgotten one. All the quarterback talk at Clemson centered around upstart Willie Simmons dethroning incumbent Woody Dantzler.

Unwilling to be relegated to third-string, Schell made the biggest splash Saturday at Death Valley in the annual Orange and White game. In his own version of the Schell game, the 6-foot-2, 200-pound quarterback contender trimmed the margin between starter and reliever.

Displaying command of Clemson's rapid-fire, multi-receiver offense, Schell engineered seven scoring drives. His 187 yards and two touchdowns on 10 of 18 passing was just as impressive as Dantzler's 22 of 34 performance for 237 yards and one touchdown.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A guy named Matt Schell won the QB laurels in the O&W game

May 6, 2017, 3:33 PM

So what happened to him??

May 6, 2017, 4:32 PM

You know that prideful feeling. When you have a good Woody you gotta show it off.

May 6, 2017, 4:55 PM [ in reply to A guy named Matt Schell won the QB laurels in the O&W game ]

"You simply can't read much of anything into a standout performance in the Spring Game."

Reggie Merriwether was the best RB in the SG one year, but we had a stupid coach that couldn't figure that out back then. He even took RM out of the USUC game causing us to lose. I think you can tell some things from a SG performance. Ask Chad Kelly.

That said - Tucker ran ZERO plays. That makes it hard to analyze when you never see him run. The verdict is still out on Tucker IMO (and I put him no higher than 3rd on the depth chart because of that).

May 6, 2017, 6:22 PM

Trying to decypher what you're saying ... not sure if you agree of disagree with what I said.

Reggie was our undisputed starter for a whole season and did really well. He was the upper-classman leader of RBs when James Davis came in as a freshman and James simply eclipsed him on the field the next year. It was not until Reggie got something going on that last drive against SCAR that there could be much question as to who was the better player overall. TB should have stuck with the hot hand in that specific instance, but I still think overall Davis was the better RB.

Chad Kelly looked absolutely terrible in that spring game just before he flew off the handle and got his walking papers from Clemson. Never-the-less, he went on to show that he had a ton of talent that unfortunately had to be weighed against his awful attitude.

I won't be so bold as to say that Tucker Israel is another Matt Schell and that he won't ever play meaningful snaps for Clemson. But, I will say that if he does win the QB competition this season, it will mean that the coaches (and the national recruiting gurus) have made some pretty big mistakes in their assessments of the top QB talent coming out of HS the last couple of years. If he does and we win a lot of games, I'll be fine with it, but it will still concern me that the much more highly recruited players (as selected by our coaches) couldn't hold him off.

Honestly, Tucker can be a starter and a star at a lot of places across the country. I just don't believe Clemson is one of those places despite his performance in the O&W game.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember a running back in the '60's named

May 6, 2017, 5:03 PM

Charlie Tolley ( I think) who ran like Jim Taylor in a couple of Spring games but hardly played as he was behind Buddy Gore and others.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tucker's mom, he has no shot at starting

May 6, 2017, 5:45 PM

Nm

Re: Tucker Israel named starting QB

May 6, 2017, 6:25 PM

Suffice it to say, Tucker will not start at Clemson. He will likely go through this season holding his clipboard, graduate in December, then transfer to start somewhere else. Gotta like Tucker but I just don't see it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tucker Israel named starting QB

May 6, 2017, 7:03 PM

I want to say that after watching the spring game 2x, I don't think he was the best. Hunter Johnson and zerrick cooper looked better but had a worse OL and several drops. They have much stronger arms and can run better. KB was outstanding in the run and with a hurt finger I don't think we can say he can't throw. I saw him in practice one time in spring and threw it ok. Thought he made good decisions with the ball just missed. Most of TI's success came on underneath throws. 1 or 2 downfield throws that were ok but HJ and ZC outperformed him there. The OL gave TI time to get to check downs for easy completions and HJ and ZC were running after the first read so TIFWIW

Replies: 9
| visibility 3,861
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic