Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
T's and P's for DaddyAdidas
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 466

T's and P's for DaddyAdidas

Jul 29, 2020, 8:00 AM

My dad just called me and told me that the doctors found a new brain tumor at the follow up visit from his big surgery from about 6 months ago. They're going to do the GammaKnife surgery tomorrow morning to stunt the tumor.

Dad takes things in stride and said he's glad it's only 1. 5 were removed during his prior surgery.

He turns 68 this fall and has been dealing with these reoccurring tumors since he was 42, either having GammaKnife or actual brain surgery every year or so.

T's and P's for Dad and my step mom. I'm sure she's going to be freaking out since she won't be able to go to the hospital with him.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Got it. ******

Jul 29, 2020, 8:02 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed.***

Jul 29, 2020, 8:03 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Done***

Jul 29, 2020, 8:04 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely!

Jul 29, 2020, 8:04 AM

He's just 2.5 yrs older than me. I am so lucky.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: T's and P's for DaddyAdidas

Jul 29, 2020, 8:06 AM

Pulling for you and your entire family.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got it. Just dropped my dad off this morning for

Jul 29, 2020, 8:08 AM

knee surgery, and couldn't walk in the door with him. When he gets picked up this afternoon, they wheel him outside. These are crazy times.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will this slow down production in the PEN15 mills?***

Jul 29, 2020, 8:12 AM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. Was it his right knee, his left knee, or his wee

Jul 29, 2020, 8:21 AM

knee?

DaddyAdidas gets all thevibes today.***

Jul 29, 2020, 8:16 AM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got it!***

Jul 29, 2020, 8:48 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got it bud.***

Jul 29, 2020, 8:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

prayers for him and your family.

Jul 29, 2020, 9:00 AM

25 yrs of successful treatments, even if the tumors returned, is a good indicator that this time will go well too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dayum. Tees and Peas main.***

Jul 29, 2020, 9:05 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Update on DaddyAdidas

Jul 31, 2020, 7:04 AM

His surgery was yesterday. I talked to him last night and he was at home relaxing. He said they "lasered" two tumors, a big one and a small one.

Said he felt like he'd been beaten up... which is about as much as I've ever heard him complain about being in pain. To do this surgery, they screw a frame into your skull to support the lasers. He said they had to give him 12 numbing shots in his head before they finally made the screws not hurt. After describing that he said, "yea, it was pretty dang rough."

Should know something about the success of the operation in about 3 months.

As always, we're grateful for the T's and P's!

Hope DaddyAdidas

Jul 31, 2020, 7:08 AM

Recovers better than evar.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad to hear that, hopefully the surgery was a complete

Jul 31, 2020, 7:29 AM [ in reply to Update on DaddyAdidas ]

success.

You may have explained before, but are these benign tumors that just show up? Does he have problems and then go get checked out or are they screening him regularly and keep catching more? Seems like a nightmare to just think about that going on all the time but he has had to deal with it for YEARS. Strong man.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Glad to hear that, hopefully the surgery was a complete

Jul 31, 2020, 9:16 AM

It all started back when he was 42. He had a grand mal seizure while sleeping. To that point, he was a pillar of health (well as much as any of us are).

They found a walnut sized tumor, they diagnosed it as a benign meningioma. They did a craniotomy (actual cutting bone and brain surgery) and removed as much of it as possible.

From that point he has had MRIs at least every 6 months (over 26 years). As the tumors grow, spread, etc. They remove what they can. I think he's had about 4 craniotomies, but they mostly perform GammaKnife operations.

GammaKnife is much less invasive. They fix a frame to your head using about 4 screws that screw into the skull. Then they mount some lasers, triangulate the tumor and blast it with radiation. He's had this done 15 or so times.

When this operation is done, he goes in to the hospital in the morning and is back home around lunch with a "slight headache" according to him.... The craniotomies require a few days in the hospital. One thing about my old man... he doesn't take pain medicine other than Tylenol. He took some sort of pain in recovery from his first crainotomy and he was seeing werewolves and really freaked out. Ever since then he's insisted on only Tylenol. The dude's pain tolerance must be unparalleled.... like a dude on PCP or something.

About 3 years ago, the doctors realized that these are actually malignant Hermagioparacytomas. Apparently they'd been malignant all along and they just botched the diagnosis. Not that it would have made a difference... other than worry us more.

So his plan has always been to keep working, keep living a normal life and getting his scans. When the tumors start giving him headaches, or the doctors get worried, he has an operation (if GammaKnife, he'll do it on a Friday an be back at work on Monday. He doesn't even tell his coworkers. If it's a crainotomy, he still doesn't tell anybody and takes a week or two off of work. (the shaved head and scars are painfully obvious, but he just hates to make people worry or feel sorry so he acts like nobody notices...)

The crazy thing about all of this is that his firm used to be located in downtown Columbia. The partners offices were all along the back wall of the building. On the other side of the wall was a huge microwave tower. Nearly every partner in his firm had the same rare tumors, a secretary gave birth to a baby that was riddled with tumors... even folks in other businesses near that tower had the same tumors.

The firm decided to not pursue legal recourse against the tower folks (At&T maybe... not really sure). They figured they could make more money just getting back to work and the litigation would drag on for decades... it would be like taking on Big Tobacco. They moved offices and just kept on truckin.

Man, that is crazy. He must be one helluva dude

Jul 31, 2020, 9:20 AM

Hope he keeps beating the hell out of the tumors.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yea he's alright.

Jul 31, 2020, 9:31 AM

Sorry again about your Pop.

Replies: 19
| visibility 466
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic