Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Roy Martin: Clemson - FSU Postgame Analysis
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Sep 19, 2006, 12:22 AM

A huge win for a number of reasons, but the biggest is the fact Clemson has newfound life in the battle to get to Jacksonville. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm never a fan of mixing religion and sports, total turnoff

Sep 19, 2006, 12:30 AM

"Come to Jesus" talk? For me, there are a couple things that shouldn't be touched in sports writing. Religion is one, and war is the other. Games aren't battles and players aren't warriors. To the same token, a "Come to Jesus" talk might happen for Richardson at church on Sunday, but not in the football arena.

Tacky taste and poor sports writing.

Chuck Norris frequently signs up for beginner karate classes, just so he can "accidentally" beat the s*it out of little kids.

Pretty sure you're reading too much into it.****

Sep 19, 2006, 12:35 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah, I understand the cliche

Sep 19, 2006, 12:38 AM

and understand how it fits there, I just don't like it. Most copy editors would leave that sentence on the floor.

That's one of the first things I learned when I started in the business. Sports are sports, and they should be covered as such. They aren't wars, they aren't life and death, and they aren't eternal.

Football players are making tackles, not throwing grenades and coming to Jesus. If they are doing those things, then you have one hell of a story on your hands.

Hate to sound like a prick, but it's one of those things they teach you the first couple of weeks on the job.

Chuck Norris frequently signs up for beginner karate classes, just so he can "accidentally" beat the s*it out of little kids.

From your infinite experience...****

Sep 19, 2006, 12:39 AM

I'm by no means a seasoned veteran...

Sep 19, 2006, 12:40 AM

but I do write for two newspapers.

Then you also know that...

Sep 19, 2006, 12:41 AM

there is more wiggle room for opinion pieces, such as this.

Oh yeah, no question...

Sep 19, 2006, 12:42 AM

I write a column for a website where I like to have a little fun with my work too. And I know it's something he probably didn't even think about when he wrote it, but that's something that could offend people. It's just my philosophy(and that of many others) not to mix sports and two things(war and religion).

Other than that, he was spot on with his stuff, although I thought he stuck it to Stuckey a little too much.

When did Journalists become concerned about

Sep 19, 2006, 1:34 AM

offending people?

I missed your editorial criticizing Notre Dame for "Touchdown Jesus". And what in the heck do you think a Seminole is? It's a freakin' Indian WARRIOR. The Fighting Sioux, The Ole Miss Rebels, The Friars, The Minute Men, etc etc etc. Do those not count because most people don't know the history behing the mascots? Afraid not.

Religion and war are apart of the sports scene whether we like it or not.

It's an expression meaning a "serious talk" - get a grip!***

Sep 19, 2006, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Oh yeah, no question... ]

Those who can't play sports...write about them

Sep 19, 2006, 2:36 AM [ in reply to I'm by no means a seasoned veteran... ]

Intramurals don't count.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those who can't write about them, try to do so on

Sep 19, 2006, 11:22 AM

Tigernet.

he didnt mean anything religious there...

Sep 19, 2006, 12:37 AM [ in reply to I'm never a fan of mixing religion and sports, total turnoff ]

it's an analogy for "he needs to change his ways."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly.****

Sep 19, 2006, 12:37 AM

It's Satan Spew!***

Sep 19, 2006, 12:37 AM [ in reply to he didnt mean anything religious there... ]

True, and he is dead on. I was saying the same thing about

Sep 19, 2006, 7:56 AM [ in reply to he didnt mean anything religious there... ]

big BR to my friends in the office after watching the BC game. Maybe the weight loss has affected his endurance in a negative way. Eat a steak big Barry!!

It's a pretty commonly used phrase***

Sep 19, 2006, 12:38 AM [ in reply to I'm never a fan of mixing religion and sports, total turnoff ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:Give him a break. It was a good analysis.***

Sep 19, 2006, 3:41 AM

Re:Give him a break. It was a good analysis.***

Sep 19, 2006, 9:25 AM

it wasn't that good.

OMG***

Sep 19, 2006, 6:56 AM [ in reply to I'm never a fan of mixing religion and sports, total turnoff ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I apologize to anyone that was offended.

Sep 19, 2006, 7:04 AM [ in reply to I'm never a fan of mixing religion and sports, total turnoff ]

I am not a journalist and I have never taken a writing class. Had I known that most editors and some readers would have found that term offensive I would have never used it.

I do think you are reading a little too much into it, but you are entitled to your opinion. Again, I apologize to anyone that was offended by the use of religion.

You don't have to.***

Sep 19, 2006, 7:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky Johnson

you saying davis "Missed a few cuts" offends me. You have

Sep 19, 2006, 7:35 AM [ in reply to I apologize to anyone that was offended. ]

no clue what you are talking about and obviously never played the game

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No need to Roy. Good article.

Sep 19, 2006, 7:45 AM [ in reply to I apologize to anyone that was offended. ]

Everyone (almost) knows what that phrase means.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great stuff Roy ... forget about the trivial fringe comments***

Sep 19, 2006, 7:57 AM [ in reply to I apologize to anyone that was offended. ]

No need. I am a Christian and it is a fine phrase - I use it

Sep 19, 2006, 8:06 AM [ in reply to I apologize to anyone that was offended. ]

at work with managers occassionally to get them to get their employees doing the right thing, headed in the right direction.

And great job being candid about Chansi and BR.

Well done piece.

If anyone was offended by that then they have some.........

Sep 19, 2006, 8:19 AM [ in reply to I apologize to anyone that was offended. ]

serious issues and maybe they need to have a "Come To Jesus" talk with ... well, Jesus

:)

You sound like the Pope yesterday.;)***

Sep 19, 2006, 8:38 AM [ in reply to I apologize to anyone that was offended. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't apoligize, some people just look for stuff to be

Sep 19, 2006, 10:37 AM [ in reply to I apologize to anyone that was offended. ]

offended by. By God, sometimes we need to give it to them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No need to apologize. Tigernet is like any community.

Sep 19, 2006, 11:27 AM [ in reply to I apologize to anyone that was offended. ]

There are a few village idiots that make their presence known way to often.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reverend Samuel L. Hose

Sep 19, 2006, 7:22 AM [ in reply to I'm never a fan of mixing religion and sports, total turnoff ]

http://www.sjvroundrock.org/Archives/Homilies/2004/hom031404.htm

Today I have to have a bit of a “come to Jesus” talk with you. That phrase, which often is used to describe a situation of getting down to serious business, is also quite theologically appropriate today. That is so for my only purpose here as your pastor is to help you to come to Jesus both in your personal lives and in your life as a faith community.

I have heard that term used in about every situation that I know of and thought it was quite appropriate in Roy's article.

Please tell me you are kidding.

Sep 19, 2006, 7:58 AM [ in reply to I'm never a fan of mixing religion and sports, total turnoff ]

Sheesh!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

wanna BET? snicker***

Sep 19, 2006, 8:04 AM [ in reply to I'm never a fan of mixing religion and sports, total turnoff ]

"Very, Very Excited, Very, Very Proud" to be a TIGER!!

Are you being serious? Please tell me you are***

Sep 19, 2006, 8:17 AM [ in reply to I'm never a fan of mixing religion and sports, total turnoff ]

Do you woo hoo?***

Sep 19, 2006, 8:28 AM [ in reply to I'm never a fan of mixing religion and sports, total turnoff ]

So I take it

Sep 19, 2006, 8:32 AM [ in reply to I'm never a fan of mixing religion and sports, total turnoff ]

that your one of those ACLU (Anti- Christian Liberals Union) types that think tha anything related to God and Jesus should be kept in the Church. Can you tell me what admendment to the Constitution that the phrase "Seperation of Church and State" resides??

Dang! Sorry I missed this exchange...

Sep 19, 2006, 8:50 AM [ in reply to I'm never a fan of mixing religion and sports, total turnoff ]

The term "Come to Jesus meeting" has been around since...well, since about three days after Good Friday.

It's a more serious version of "having a word of prayer" with someone about their work.

And in the context, I believe it's absolutely adequate.

And, as for it not being used in real journalism...

"The come-to-Jesus meeting took place on May 25 at a skybox at Nashville's football stadium..."
- From Newsweek

"He'll be meeting with his advisers there, but already they have said this is not a "come to Jesus" meeting, Tony"
- Fox News

"Terrell Owens, the football reptile from hell, slithered into Valley Ranch for a face to face, come-to-Jesus meeting by the head coach."
- Fort Worth Star Telegram

Now, I've tried to get it in a couple of times and had it quashed, but it won't stop me from trying.

In fact, that might be a good idea for a faith story. Thanks, Coby!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're stupid.***

Sep 19, 2006, 9:35 AM [ in reply to I'm never a fan of mixing religion and sports, total turnoff ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Roy: Best article you have written. Dead on with so many

Sep 19, 2006, 10:09 AM

points.

MY DISAGREEMENTS AND ADDITIONS:
1) STUCKEY had an easy drop but I DON'T SHARE YOUR OPINION about that being his MO (easy drop - big catch).

2) HOWEVER, I do feel that way about KELLY. He made a critical catch BUT YOU IGNORED his 2 critical drops.

3) I believe D SCOTT made the biggest 3rd & short stop off their FB not RJ. I will have to look again though.

4) COLEMAN needs to share his wrap up skills with BUTLER. Even though Butler hits hard, I hate it when DBs simply try to knock people down.

5) KICKOFFS- Sure, kick it through the end zone and there is not an issue but there are 10 other people on that unit. I DISAGREE about the amount put on Dean at BC. I timed every kick and our hang time was very similar to theirs. Our all world returners could NOT get to the 20. On Jeff Smith's TD, he had passed 8 of our coverage people by the time he hit the 20. OVER PURSUIT WAS THE BIGGER PROBLEM.

6) KO RETURN: Where is the talent? Too much dancing. Jeff Smith ran just like JMiller. Wide open North/South right the rear of a blocker. Arms won't slow you down.

----------------------------------

AGREEMENTS:
Pass blocking remains fabulous but run blocking is average at best. I still question the 2-pt stance.

PEARSON is pleasant surprise. Best all around FB in many years. HUNTER played well.

2 ways to fight defensive speed. Create over pursuit OR run straight at it. Spence wisely chose the latter. Like you, I also anticipated more Jacoby type plays.

CLAY played well.

Although he has a knack for finding the ball, I have always considered WATKINS a poor tackler and he continued.

ADAMS awakened. COLEMAN'S cover skills are debatable but he has to be one the best tackling CBs in the nation.

JAD DEAN:
Part of the KICKING problems is the line split. Part is blocking. Part is speed. I do not know why TB wants to dump it all on DEAN.

This is what I miss on TigerNet. Good post***

Sep 19, 2006, 10:18 AM

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic