Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dalvin Cook's lawyers file for speedy trial (NBC Sports)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Dalvin Cook's lawyers file for speedy trial (NBC Sports)

Aug 12, 2015, 8:54 AM

Posted by John Taylor on August 11, 2015, 8:28 AM EDT
Dalvin Cook

One day after Florida State made photo contingencies for potential life without Dalvin Cook, there were reports that the star running back’s attorneys are doing what they can to ensure that said contingency won’t be necessary.

Because of an off-field situation that involved him allegedly punching a woman in the face at a Tallahassee bar, Cook‘s status at Florida State continues to be up in the air as the back remains indefinitely suspended. Cook’s initial court date stemming from that incident is set for Sept. 2, a date that was pushed back to the frustration of the player’s attorney and comes just three days before the Seminoles open the 2015 season.

In light of that tight timeframe, Warchant.com has reported, the sophomore’s attorneys have filed with the court a demand for a speedy trial. The Rivals.com website writes that Cook’s “trial could actually take place before [the Sept. 2 arraignment] if a Leon County judge grants his request for a speedy trial.”

From the site’s report:

The request, which was filed in Leon County court on Thursday by the Miami law offices of Farrell & Patel, states that Cook, “is available for trial, has diligently investigated the case, and that he will be prepared for trial by the date established by the court.”

According to Florida Rule 3.191 (b), the trial can be set between 5 and 45 days from the time of the filing, depending on the schedules of the assigned judge and both parties.

Cook has denied any wrongdoing, and his attorneys have very publicly stated that they will not accept a plea deal to resolve the misdemeanor case.

FSU opens the 2015 season at home against Texas State Sept. 5, and follows that up with games against USF (Sept. 12 in Tallahassee) and Boston College (Sept. 18, ACC opener and first 2015 road game). Last season, Cook led the Seminoles in rushing as a true freshman.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/11/dalvin-cooks-attorneys-file-demand-for-speedy-trial/related/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dalvin Cook's lawyers file for speedy trial (NBC Sports)

Aug 12, 2015, 9:06 AM

He can't take a plea or fsu kicks him off the team. They are going for a not guilty which is gonna be hard to get. I see him in the end taking a plea transfer to a juco and play his last season somewhere big.

I know a Nole fan(he's ridiculous) and he swears he's not

Aug 12, 2015, 9:15 AM

worried because everybody has already acknowledged that it was simply mistaken identity and that the charges will soon be dropped.
He honestly thinks Cook didn't do it at all and that it will soon be taken care of.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

how do these guys afford these lawyers? They can't be court

Aug 12, 2015, 12:24 PM

Appointed

FSU keeps attorney David Cornwell on retainer to represent

Aug 12, 2015, 12:47 PM

FSU athletes. He works for FSU so the athletes aren't required to pay him. Doesn't pass the smell test.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The "Neil Lourie" of the Seminoles?***

Aug 12, 2015, 1:51 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did he "allegedly" punch a woman in the face if

Aug 12, 2015, 12:27 PM

there is video showing he actually did it?

Shouldn't the statement read that he "actually" punched a woman in the face?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trial now set for 8/24 with jury selection to start 8/21****

Aug 12, 2015, 1:19 PM

Re: Trial now set for 8/24 with jury selection to start 8/21****

Aug 12, 2015, 1:42 PM

Is there a video? If there isn't, and you're a shyster of a defense lawyer, it's not a particularly hard exercise, especially in a jury trial. You just attack the credibility of any and all witnesses, trot out your own well-prepped counter-witnesses (especially when they all happen to be his teammates), who one and all swear unequivocally it was some other guy.

Especially outside a bar, it's not hard to do. You were drunk, after all. It all happened so fast. It was dark. Are you 100%, utterly certain you saw what you saw?

There's a bunch of ways defense lawyers use to discredit witnesses, make them sound confused or uncertain. Take the witnesses out, and Cook walks. They only need one juror.

It's a gamble, of course. My hope is that State Attorney Willie Meggs - who got egg on his face over his failure to prosecute Jameis Winston - needs a Seminole scalp on his mantle to restore his credibility and is looking to make a statement.

Anybody more cognizant of politics down Tally way? Is Meggs going to handle this himself or his he going to hand this off to some junior prosecutor? Will tell you a lot about how this is likely to go.

Re: Dalvin Cook's lawyers file for speedy trial (NBC Sports)

Aug 12, 2015, 9:07 PM

Doesn't look good. Meggs could just be going through the motions. He's an FSU grad.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic