Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Trevor Lawrence -- best true freshman QB ever?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Trevor Lawrence -- best true freshman QB ever?

Nov 27, 2018, 8:57 AM

Sunday morning on ESPN Radio Hot Takes they were discussing whether TL was the best true freshman QB ever. The consensus was that if he wasn't #1 he was in the top three along with Jamelle Holieway and (IIRC) Dan Marino.

What say you?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Since I've never heard of the other two...

Nov 27, 2018, 8:58 AM

I'm going to say TL is the best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Do you even like sports?***

Nov 27, 2018, 8:59 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Call me back when you have been an assistant coach on an

Nov 27, 2018, 9:00 AM

All Star little league baseball team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

which base?***

Nov 27, 2018, 10:02 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

First...

Nov 27, 2018, 10:11 AM

Where all the greats coach.

Re: Since I've never heard of the other two...

Nov 27, 2018, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Since I've never heard of the other two... ]

You’ve never heard of Dan Marino? Probably the best pure passer to ever play QB. There are better overall QB’s, but no better pure passer.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Francis' knowledge of college football is rather limited***

Nov 27, 2018, 10:00 AM

Doesn't ring a bell, how many national championships

Nov 27, 2018, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Since I've never heard of the other two... ]

Heismans and Super Bowls did he win as a QB?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

none.. he is best known as the placeholder

Nov 27, 2018, 10:06 AM

who always placed the ball laces in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Doesn't ring a bell, how many national championships

Nov 27, 2018, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Doesn't ring a bell, how many national championships ]

Interesting you chose the individual award for college and team achievement for the pros. He was league MVP his second year and set a TD passing record that was not broken for 20 seasons and only once the rules were changed to favor offenses. Now the record is broken every five to six years.

What? Since when did winning a college national

Nov 27, 2018, 10:11 AM

championship become an "individual award for college?"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: What? Since when did winning a college national

Nov 27, 2018, 10:38 AM

I always fail to read the bolded subject line because most people don’t change it. My bad.

here..I googled marino for your lazy ####

Nov 27, 2018, 10:56 AM [ in reply to What? Since when did winning a college national ]

doesn't much look lime a football player but heck neither does Renfrow.

https://goo.gl/images/dLdPxK

Re: Since I've never heard of the other two...

Nov 27, 2018, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Since I've never heard of the other two... ]

Jamelle Holloway....Isn't that the chick ESPN put on 6:00 Sports Center? You know, the show nobody likes anymore?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trevor Lawrence -- best true freshman QB ever?

Nov 27, 2018, 8:59 AM

I say yes (but then again I'm a little biased.)

If he beats Bama this year it will be undeniable, however.

Nov 27, 2018, 9:56 AM

Holieway was an athletic freak...but its a bit of a stretch to call him a QB, imho. He was a triple option wizard who chucked the ball some.

I looked him up and he had 58 pass attempts for the entire

Nov 27, 2018, 10:08 AM

season... so less than 5 per game. He had 517 passing yards and 5 TDs. He averaged 5.0 YPC on 173 rushes for 862 yards and 9 TDs.

Even for an option era QB that doesn't seem incredibly impressive.

Nov 27, 2018, 10:04 AM

I think Watson was better as a freshman, but he just didn’t have the numbers due to the injuries.

Nov 27, 2018, 10:06 AM

Well staying healthy is part of it. You can’t remove that from the equation. Greatness is defined by sustained performance over the course of the season.

Nov 27, 2018, 10:32 AM

I can’t really disagree with that, Watson looked like a senior out there from the moment he stepped on the field though. We’ve been very blessed at QB the past several years.

Nov 27, 2018, 11:19 AM

Clemson has been blessed with exceptional QB play for 7 of the last 8 years.

Nov 27, 2018, 10:04 AM

I’ve made that claim twice since Saturday already in other threads. I’ve been telling my friends and family (all LSU fans) the dame thing. I don’t think it’s even debatable.

I looked up true freshman stats as best I could. TL is right up there with the handful of people who’ve had standout true freshman seasons at QB. TL has 22 TD passes despite not starting until game 5, half of which he missed, and then being pulled early in most games. In the last two weeks alone, 4 of his passes were dropped that would have been touchdowns. The most TD passes a Power 5 conference true freshman has ever thrown us 26, I believe. Trevor should already have matched it if not for the drops. He has 3 games to throw 5 TD passes and get the record.

With all of the checks and audibles we know he’s allowed to make, I can’t imagine another true freshman matching him. We are not 12-0 without him, imo. Looking forward to the next 2+ years!

I say we let the season play out.

Nov 27, 2018, 10:28 AM

But, I've been hard pressed to think of a freshman QB that can throw like TL. DW4 was an amazing college QB all 3 years, and had lots of moxie. But I don't think DW4 ever had or will have the cannon of an arm that TL has. TL needs to keep learning. Time will tell if he is the best all time. Let's just enjoy him now and let him grow.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic