Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Transfer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,729

Transfer

Dec 9, 2014, 10:07 PM

As a former college athlete ( division 2 level), I understand the need for but don't agree with transfer rules. Kids sign scholarship papers but the scholarship is only for one year at most places. Should they decide to leave and wish to play at the same level, they must sit out a year. In addition, restrictions can be placed on what schools they can transfer to. Coaches should be held to the same standard. Leave before your contract is up, sit out a year. Shouldn't be able to go work at certain schools for at least 2 years. If 18 year olds are expected to commit, coaches should as well. After all, some freshmen,sophomores and juniors committed to certain schools because of the coaches that are there. I'm not railing on Clemson, just the entire transfer system. I hate Kitts leaving but he only has a 5 year window to complete his eligibility. He must feel like he needs to go elsewhere to be happy. Good luck to him. He's probably going to miss out on some great opportunities to win some championships

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: These coaches put a lot of effort into recruiting

Dec 9, 2014, 10:15 PM

these guys to Clemson. I would not give them a free rein to go where they want to either.

Re: These coaches put a lot of effort into recruiting

Dec 9, 2014, 10:21 PM

I stated that I understood the reason for the rules. Just think coaches should be held to the same standard. Analogy: you spend 5 years courting your girlfriend to make her your wife. You move her halfway across the country after the marriage. You divorce her 6 months later. You move on to the next hot chick but she has to stay in your dumpy little town? Nope she can go wherever she likes. Get it?

Re: Maybe, but it is not a perfect world. You have to learn

Dec 9, 2014, 10:22 PM

to live with the consequences.

Dec 9, 2014, 10:27 PM

As should coaches

Dec 9, 2014, 10:31 PM

You also must realize they have learned the system, plays, etc. from the school they are leaving. It would be an unfair advantage should they go to a rival or same conference competitor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2014, 10:40 PM

They could share that irregardless of whether they attend that school or not. It would be worse for a coach to go to a rival school than a player. That's even more reason to restrict coaches moving on before their contract is up

Dec 9, 2014, 10:44 PM

For instance: What if our DL coach went to coach at Coot university. It would be more harmful than Demare Kitt transferring to them. He would know everything about our defense. All the calls, the system, tendencies, etc.

Dec 9, 2014, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Maybe, but it is not a perfect world. You have to learn ]

If every player transferred because they're not a starter their freshman year, or feel they won't get ample playing time for a couple of years, you would never see a team have depth.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2014, 11:02 PM

The point of this post is this: transfer rules are unfair to athletes when coaches are allowed to move on without penalty to do what's best for them. If its allowed for coaches it should be allowed for athletes. Heard this yesterday: an athlete in this state had been committed to coot university since the 9th grade in a sport other than football. Just before the early signing period, this athelete was told they had over recruited for his class and he no longer had a scholarship offer. This kid is screwed. Most programs have already allocated their money to the recruits for next year. How is this fair to that kid? The system is failing the athletes

Double Standard

Dec 9, 2014, 10:30 PM

You can't restrict their mobility and expect to retain the right to terminate them for poor performance. Who would have wanted to be stuck with RS until his contract was up?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Double Standard

Dec 9, 2014, 10:38 PM

Athletes are terminated at a lot of places because of poor performance. This occurs by reducing their scholarship amount or by non renewal of scholarship. Especially in sports like baseball where athletes are on partial scholarships. Their mobility is restricted when they choose to leave on their own. As I stated earlier, this isn't a rant on Clemson. It's more about the ncaa

If I were one of these highly rated recruits, I would get...

Dec 9, 2014, 10:45 PM

it in writing, if things didn't work out at the school I signed with, I would be free to go anywhere I choose.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can't do that because...

Dec 9, 2014, 11:48 PM

These guys get the playbook, they know the signals, cadence, language. You allow them to go to a direct competitor it gives that team an unfair advantage. Also lends to more underhanded dealings such as rivals booster finds out a kid wants to transfer, offers him X to transfer to rival to give that coach and team all the plays and inside information. This happens in pro, doesn't need to come to college. Also, without the sit out year, every guy that didn't earn a starting job would be transferring every year and it would be chaos and no continuity. This is one of the rules that actually is well thought out and serves an actual purpose, unlike, oh say targeting for example.

Not Sure

Dec 10, 2014, 12:20 AM

people are grasping what you're saying. this is not about the athletes, it's about the coaches. and it makes perfect sense. it's the brilliant mind of the ncaa at work again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,729
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic