Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tough 2 say, but that was a sorry waste of a game (& season)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,463

Tough 2 say, but that was a sorry waste of a game (& season)

Oct 14, 2017, 1:17 AM

"They" say it's all about one game.

Only had one game to win. And one game to win before the bye.

Coaching was obviously lackluster this week (and tonight), with little eye for detail, particularly on offense. Busted plays early on defense which we have seen before, and our secondary looked half asleep with a lack of effort half the night. Missed tackles.

What on earth was that trick punt play? Do we even have a kicking game?

Not sure who made our QB decisions tonight, but was surprised not see a different decision
made in the 3rd quarter. Or how about in the 4th.

3rd and 11, and they leave a receiver wide open on the outside in the spread. That was the end of the game right there.

I knew this "let's just lean on our top rated defensive line, and play conservative" was going to catch up with us. And it did.

Lesson #1 in college team sorts or any sport (and it happens "every" year to supposed top teams): "Never play 'not to lose.'"

Thought the loss last year and close games would have taught them that.

They had every opportunity to finish that game. Hopefully the team will embrace that.

Let's be realistic. It's very hard to go undefeated any year with any team, but it's almost impossible to win a championship without doing so. We were very fortunate to win our championship last year. But let's face it, those opportunities usually don't come even once in a lifetime. We surprisingly (and luckily) looked like we might have a pretty solid team again that had a chance. This notion that there will be more, and more, and more opportunities in the future is likely a pipe dream. The history of college football and the really big time programs will tell you that. A waste. Can't afford to p*ss even one away like they did tonight.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we will make a run at it with Trevor Lawrence or Hunter

Oct 14, 2017, 1:29 AM

Johnson if we still have a good defense in a couple of years. You are right in that winning it all is rare. Even the greatest programs not named Bama go years and years between championship appearances. Just ask Southern Cal, Nebraska, Ohio State, Florida State, Michigan, Oklahoma. Making it to the title game the last two years in a row is a real rarity for anyone.

I just never understood, even after wins over Auburn, VT and Louisville why people outside of Clemson fans were writing us as the title game shoe in. It would be different if the offense always looked like it did against Louisville, but that was the exception. The offense did not look good against Wake, BC and for many stretched in the VT game. Granted Auburn and VT have very good defenses, but the BC and Wake games were big red flags for me. There was just too much of a struggle trying to finish drives.

I'm really disappointed in the defense tonight also. If you had told me that the defense would have a score (Their third this year) and we would score 24 points, I would have thought we might have won. But then again, Syracuse has a veteran QB that is a go-getter and he was not injured.

IMHO Defense folded when QB play was hot garbage

Oct 14, 2017, 1:34 AM

It takes all phases of the game ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Just ask Southern Cal, Nebraska, Ohio State, Florida State,

Oct 14, 2017, 2:27 AM [ in reply to we will make a run at it with Trevor Lawrence or Hunter ]

Michigan, Oklahoma, etc..."

Exactly what I was thinking when I posted tonight. Those big state programs have always had the advantages, including the media, over smaller programs and look at how difficult it is
to do year after year. And it rarely seems to happen without the wheels falling off eventually.

Re: Tough 2 say, but that was a sorry waste of a game (& season)

Oct 14, 2017, 1:31 AM

“It’s almost impossible to win a championship without going undefeated.”

You’re just spitballing aren’t you? 4 of the last 5 national champions have had 1 loss.

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but we are not Alabama

Oct 14, 2017, 2:15 AM

Or even OSU. Alabama is able to do what they do because of the money, recruiting, depth, personnel, the SEC, some corruption, and the media backing that they have had over the years.

We haven't even gotten to NC State, FSU, S Car, or the ACC championship game, yet. We can't afford to even throw away one loss the way we did tonight if we expect to win championships. Honestly, we got lucky last year.

Re: Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but we are not Alabama

Oct 14, 2017, 2:24 AM

I never said we were Alabama or OSU. I said you were making crap up because you don’t know the facts. Bringing a win into question against SC shows your true stripes. Do us all a favor and find a hobby the rest of the season. We have some obvious work to do but I haven’t given up on this team’s heart. But I’m sure you were saying the same thing after Pitt last year too.

Spare me the melodrama. Have had true stripes for 37 years

Oct 14, 2017, 2:42 AM

And I rarely post much negative here.

But I know the facts, and I just pointed them out.

If Clemson is going to continue to be "great," we can't afford to throw away 3 quarters of football and take a loss like that. With less room for error, we're just going to have to be more disciplined and do it better, to get it done.

Re: Spare me the melodrama. Have had true stripes for 37 years

Oct 14, 2017, 2:57 AM

Melodrama?! You should know it when you see it. You started the melodrama on this thread precisely because you DON’T KNOW THE FACTS and spewed your uninformed dumper drivel, which is typical of most dumpers here who speak out of their emotional unintelligence rather than reality. Speaking of continuing to be great, here’s a fact for you...I’m sure you’re aware that Alabama has played in 5 of the last 7 national championships and finished the season with exactly ONE UNDEFEATED YEAR in that run.

I know the facts and explained them...

Oct 14, 2017, 3:57 AM

in detail. I knew before I posted my comment about going undefeated I was going to be misinterpreted, and someone would mention the 1 loss champions, blah, blah, blah. *l*

It's actually a rarity in college football history. And I am very aware of what Alabama did the last 7 years.

But like I said, we are not Alabama.

And I am all about heart, but heart isn't the only thing that gets it done. If we can only spare one loss a season (or less), it doesn't need to be blowing so many opportunities the way we did against a team like we did tonight. It would be a shame being one of the top two teams in the country and not getting there playing the way we played tonight. We'll never achieve those team goals, or win championships that way.

Re: Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but we are not Alabama

Oct 14, 2017, 2:25 AM [ in reply to Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but we are not Alabama ]

Yeah and this was a waste of a post. Then go pull for them... WE ARE CLEMSON!

You couldn't be more wrong

Oct 14, 2017, 2:20 AM

About it being impossible to win a championship unless you're undefeated. Only 1 of the last 5 champs were undefeated. All 3 champions in the CFP era had a regular season loss. Really tough one tonight, and lots of questions ahead, but this group still controls its own destiny.

Re: You couldn't be

Oct 14, 2017, 4:23 AM

Actually you need to reread what I wrote. It is a rarity, and it hasn't happened until recently. I was just saying that with such a small margin of error, a team can't afford to blow that loss on a game like tonight.

Either way you have to have a decent kicker to win any tight game

Oct 14, 2017, 2:49 AM

That won't happen this year. If it's not a double digit lead then we will be prone to lose. Maybe someone can fix his technique if we are lucky but so far I've never seen him kick it straight. It's always a sneaker in type ft if he makes it. Even extra points.

I think we gotta pull a Bowden and just start going for two or pooch kicking it for field position flips.

Can't say if I agree or disagree

Oct 14, 2017, 4:29 AM

But that is some very interesting insight. Very well said. +1

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,463
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic