Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: SI.com's take on Deshaun Watson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

FB Update: SI.com's take on Deshaun Watson

Oct 16, 2014, 8:47 AM

SI.com's take on Deshaun Watson

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: SI.com's take on Deshaun Watson

Oct 16, 2014, 8:58 AM

I don't wonder. I am confident FSU would have a loss right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2014, 9:06 AM

Same goes for UGA.

Oct 16, 2014, 9:20 AM

I truly believe that the only reason Cole is playing so bad right now is because Deshaun is a amazing guy. He has the tangibles to just make plays with DW it's not always about the big play just getting first downs and trying to move the ball. If Cole just settles down and not worry about who on the depth chart is coming to get him I believe he will be a beast. That's just my thinking I could be very wrong but only time will tell.

Oct 16, 2014, 2:18 PM

No. Cole is playing bad because of subpar offensive line play and no running game.

Oct 17, 2014, 8:44 AM

You are right, and that effects his performance on the field, I'm sure, but Watson has the same OL in front of him, and he seems to be better able to deal with it. I hope both guys and Sheussler, also, do a great job when called on. I also hope our very mediocre OL will see the urgency to take it up a few notches and play better. As usual, as the OL goes, so goes the Offense. It's been a weak link for a long time, and it's time to get that fixed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2014, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: SI.com's take on Deshaun Watson ]

I hope you are right, and I hope he gets whatever monkey that is on his back, or in his mind, out of the picture and delivers his best performances until Watson heals. I don't reall care who is the guy, just so he is all in and he delivers great performance. Best wishes to all our players!

Oct 17, 2014, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: SI.com's take on Deshaun Watson ]

I think that you're right about Cole and the fact that all he has heard from coaches is how great Deshaun is. And Cole also understands that Deshaun is the CM hand picked QB. With all those pro Deshaun Watson things going on is his mind has cause Cole a lot of unnecessary pressure on himself. Cole will do find for a few weeks until it get close to time for Deshaun to come back, then he will let that pressure take over his thoughts again and try doing more than he is capable of doing in the CM style offense. And 99.99% of us in his exact same position would allow that type of pressure get the best of us also. H&ll, in his same position WE want to play, and its our last year of college FB that we have waited 3 years waiting on our turn. Now that his turn has arrive, there is a QB better suited for our offense breathing down his neck. Its sad for Cole, but that is college FB and Cole just happen to catch that bad break that sometimes comes with college FB. Personally, I absolutely hate it for him b/c Cole is a good guy that just happen to be at the worst place for him to be the starter with the offense we run.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU & UGA were not Stoudt's fault.

Oct 16, 2014, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: SI.com's take on Deshaun Watson ]

It's laughable to think that we lost the FSU game b/c of Stoudt. Stoudt was in the game for 9 snaps, & Watson was in for 40. Stoudt did not make the game plan. Stoudt did not make the decision to operate out of the shotgun on the goal line. Stoudt did not turn the ball over. Stoudt did not allow FSU back into the game.

It's even more ridiculous to think that we lost the UGA game b/c of Stoudt. Stoudt did not allow Gurley to have 293 all-purpose yards, or UGA to score 45 points.

Watson is the real deal, but anyone who blames our troubles on Stoudt is, well, the terms of use for Tigernet prevent me from saying.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

::::: Losers practice until they get it right. Winners practice until they can't get it wrong. :::::

Re: FSU & UGA were not Stoudt's fault.

Oct 16, 2014, 9:41 AM

But those 9 snaps that Stoudt took in the FSU game.... Watson could have (more than likely) scored on one or more of those drives which would have put us up by at least a touchdown at the end of the game and it wouldn't have went to OT.

I love Watson but to assume he would have scored on

Oct 16, 2014, 10:05 AM

the few plays Stoudt was in is kind of ridiculous considering he played most of the game and we only scored 17. As for UGA, Stoudt had a great first half but play calling got very conservative the 2nd and even when Watson was in we could not move the ball

Oct 16, 2014, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Re: FSU & UGA were not Stoudt's fault. ]

On one of those possessions Lakip missed one of his two missed FGs. It was not Stoudt's fault (he was 3/5 for 40 yards & had 24 rushing yards), & nobody has any idea what Watson would have done w/those snaps. It's all speculation & scapegoating.

::::: Losers practice until they get it right. Winners practice until they can't get it wrong. :::::

Oct 17, 2014, 9:14 AM

It is speculation by you that Cole would have done as well or better, too. We all can argue our points, and that's what makes this interesting, but I am just going to pull for whomever is out there and hope the rght guys get it done so we win.

Oct 16, 2014, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: FSU & UGA were not Stoudt's fault. ]

Or Lakip could have hit a chip shot FG. I guess that was Stoudts fault too, right?

Oct 17, 2014, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Re: FSU & UGA were not Stoudt's fault. ]

That is just after the fact guessing in a way that you want to see and believe it to be. There isn't one shred of factual evidence to back up your claim. In fact, I believe it to be an excuse you're using to account for loss to FSU. Being at FSU had nothing to do with it did it. Or calling a run play on 4th down in the shotgun didn't affect our loss either did it. Just those 9 or so plays that Cole played in the first quarter lost that game. Three missed field goals had nothing to do with the game going into over time either did it!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have to agree with you

Oct 16, 2014, 9:54 AM [ in reply to FSU & UGA were not Stoudt's fault. ]

Too many factors in both of those losses to pin them on Stoudt. Was Watson clearly the better QB from the beginning? Yes. Did the coaches make a questionable decision by not starting the clearly better QB in those games? Yes. Were the losses due primarily to Stoudt's play? No.

Point for the Mike Tyson "Punchout" avatar. I finally beat him after about 958 bouts. That guy is fast and he punches hard! But he's not as big as Soda Popinski.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have to agree with you

Oct 16, 2014, 12:03 PM

LOL...that's awesome. You're the only one who's ever commented on "Great Tiger". Tyson was a beast!

Tyson...

Oct 16, 2014, 4:01 PM

He's definitely no "Glass Joe".

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2014, 2:19 PM [ in reply to FSU & UGA were not Stoudt's fault. ]

I am in complete agreement with your thoughtful analysis!

Vs FSU, Stoudt threw roll-out gimme Leggett TD into the dirt

Oct 16, 2014, 2:39 PM [ in reply to FSU & UGA were not Stoudt's fault. ]

Then Lakip missed the FG and the rest is history. I can't imagine Watson rolling out and blowing that easy throw. That's 7 points gone from a game that we lost in OT.
http://youtu.be/6RY0INthml4?t=9m38s

We'll never know what would have happened if Watson had started, but it's not like he suddenly learned the playbook and became the better QB while sitting on the sideline against FSU. The coaches should have started their best QB rather than wasting 3 series in the de facto ACCCG.

Vs. UGA, maybe Gurley (and our eventually-fatigued defense) wouldn't have been on the field so much if Watson had started and sustained some drives-- let alone scored some points or flipped the field position. Starting your second best QB hurts.

I don't blame Stoudt for the losses. The kid prepares diligently and plays his heart out. I blame the coaches who chose to start him over Watson.

Re: Vs FSU, Stoudt threw roll-out gimme Leggett TD into the dirt

Oct 16, 2014, 4:21 PM

Watson is not perfect - he's also thrown bad passes. Against Louisville he floated a pick that could have been a big first down or more for us, but turned into points for Louisville. He also made the decision to try to stiff arm a defender instead of running out of bounds, resulting in a broken finger & missed playing time. Boyd threw bad passes all the time, & his hesitations & failure to reign in his emotions cost us games at times. This isn't to say that either are at fault for our shortcomings, just as the pass to Leggett & our failures in all phases of the game, including coaching, doesn't say that Stoudt is either.

Both of our losses were because of failures on the whole (all phases of the game & coaching). Watson wouldn't have won us the UGA game, & he didn't win us the FSU game in the 27:29 he was on the field, so not only is it unlikely he would have done so w/Stoudt's 5:12, it's pure conjecture. Also, if fatigue was an issue in the UGA game as you're theorizing, then that is a coaching and conditioning problem, not whether or not Watson would have theoretically extended some drives.

The bottom line is that if you evaluate Stoudt, you have to evaluate him in the greater context -- w/the coaching failures, the defensive failures, special teams failures, etc. The one thing I will say is a knock against Stoudt is that the team plays better for Watson than they do Stoudt. I've said this before -- it's like the situation w/Vick & Schaub in ATL. Schaub was the better QB, but for whatever reason the Falcons played better when he was in the game. Some of that may be a leadership issue or charisma issue, but regardless, the team should play @ 100% regardless of who is under center (or operating out of the shotgun on short yardage).

Stoudt is a solid QB, & starting Watson would not have won us either game because there were too many other failures that had nothing to do w/the QB. Stoudt is capable of leading us to wins so long as the coaches bring a good game plan & make good adjustments, & the rest of the team executes. The same circumstances as if Watson were in the game.

Oct 17, 2014, 9:11 AM [ in reply to FSU & UGA were not Stoudt's fault. ]

I do agree that it wasn't just a Cole Stoudt issue, but he did throw away a sure TD from about 10 yards away when he threw the ball at Leggett's feet at FSU. If he made that throw, he may still be "the guy". He just wasn't effective in that game, and a better QB arrived on the scene. I wish the best for Cole, and I want him to succeed. I was one who argued that he must be the best and that the coaches certainly were in the better position of evaluating. I still think they are, and they have made the decision that Deshawn is the better choice. So far, he has shown it. I hope Cole gives him a run for his money, but the skill set is so different, and I doubt he does.

Oct 16, 2014, 9:39 AM

Deshaun could have possibly given us an undefeated season if he was the starter from game 1. I think he could have easily been named the started if he didn't break his collar bone and have to take time out to recover. Too late to go back and change it now, but I sure cant wait til next year!! I hope he pulls a Boyd/Beasley and stay 4 years and gets his degree. He's going to lead us to a championship for sure.

Oct 16, 2014, 11:41 AM

As for Watson being a starter from game 1 was not even an option. You have yo give it to your senior.... period! What incentive do players have for sticking around for 4 years if they put in their time and don't even get a chance.... it was handled perfect

What incentive do younger guys have if seniority rules?***

Oct 16, 2014, 1:46 PM

Re: What incentive do younger guys have if seniority rules?***

Oct 17, 2014, 12:06 AM

I said you had to give the senior the start...I didn't say he had the job forever. Dabo did the right thing...you obviously have never played collegiate sports.

Start the senior even if younger guy is better? Demotivation

Oct 17, 2014, 5:31 PM

Obviously, if a younger guy is better than an older guy and you start the older guy, it demotivates the younger guys and harms the team by jeopardizing losses.

And yes I did play collegiate sports, so obviously you post stuff based on pure supposition.

Oct 17, 2014, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: SI.com's take on Deshaun Watson ]

Disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion. The starting job always should go to the best player, no matter their seniority. That seniority crap has cost us dearly in the past. I am all in favor of playing a senior who is as good as the underclassman, but not just because of his "loyalty". And, yes, I suffered from better, younger players keeping me off the field, myself. It sucked, at the time, but it is the right thing for the team and for the supporters.

Oct 16, 2014, 9:42 AM

Easy SI....... While I love what we have in Watson and our future...there is no need to trash one of the most successful QB's in our history!!!

Oct 16, 2014, 9:48 AM

Man they dogged Tajh in that article. I love the ability that Deshaun has, but Tajh also did some things that Deshaun cannot do as of yet. Tajh was a #### wrecking ball on 3rd and short. We always picked that up. Tajh also threw a lot of great passes. He had a great career and should be in the Clemson HOF one day. Oh yea.....and he almost never missed playing time.

I don't get the hate in this comparison from SI.

Boyd was only better at one thing... running w/ 35 more lbs

Oct 16, 2014, 2:12 PM

As a true freshman, Watson already seems better than Boyd was (as a 5th-year senior) at all other aspects of playing QB. Their natural physical differences aside (speed, size, arm-strength, etc.) the big ding on Boyd was his mental game.

Boyd was up and down. ("Peaks and valleys" as Gruden put it.)

But more importantly, Boyd wasn't so good at reading and adjusting to the D. Gruden dinged Boyd for it-- pointing out that vs FSU, Boyd failed to pickup blitzes including TWICE failing to recognize the same Bison 2-roll blitz (both of which resulted in sacks and one of which resulted in a sack-TD-fumble return), and that Boyd failed to take advantage of the fact that FSU's D had 9 men on the field (when Clemson was in scoring position) and instead Boyd threw a pick rather than taking advantage of FSU's mistake for an easy completion.

Boyd was good. Watson is much better. Same OC/QB-coach yet Watson already "gets it" as a true frosh. As much as I respect Boyd, I was always disappointed at how his mental game progressed (or didn't) over the years.

facts are facts, but

Oct 16, 2014, 10:18 AM

Why even bring Boyd into this. I get that you wanna compare to the era we just came from, but dang..... Dont see the point on ripping TB. TB play brought a lot of attention to Clemson. For that, I thank him. Oh yeah! and a sh!+ ton of wins too!

Oct 16, 2014, 10:31 AM

#### SI, Boyd was the most prolific passer over the last 25 years of ACC football. #### you for trying to demean this honorable man, you peace of ####. He was a perfect role model for Clemson and had the smoothest long ball accuracy to boot. Actually report on something news wortthy next time dip ####.

U sound mad***

Oct 16, 2014, 11:00 AM

Boyd in the Big Games

Oct 16, 2014, 11:17 AM

2011: Beat Auburn, FSU, VT and VT. Lost to SC and WVU
2012: Beat Auburn and LSU. Lost to SC and FSU
2013: Beat Georgia and Ohio State. Lost to FSU and SC

Looks to me as if Boyd was 8-6 in really big games.

Watson has work to do to win more than 8 Big Games.

Just saying Clemson fans, of all people, ought not throw Tajh Boyd under the bus.

He is taking a different angle and....

Oct 16, 2014, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: SI.com's take on Deshaun Watson ]

is spot on IMO. I love Boyd and he did great things at Clemson, but he did get emotional and easily rattled when playing against a quality opponent that was able to get some negative plays against him early on. He was a headcase at times in some of those games.....we all know what Im talking about.

He was forcing throws/making bad decisions up until his last pass of his career. He was a great Clemson qb that thruved in an offense perfect for him and with the best corps of receivers Clemson has ever seen.

Dont get me wrong, I love TB and he did great things for Clemson but I dont think the writer is off base in comparing Watson to Boyd...its only natural.

Re: He is taking a different angle and....

Oct 16, 2014, 2:27 PM

The sample size of Deshaun's body of work is way too small to be compared to Boyd's at this point.

Oct 16, 2014, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: SI.com's take on Deshaun Watson ]

U MAD, BRO?

#truth

Oct 16, 2014, 11:52 AM

Here is some truth. If DW started in the Georgia and FSU games, we would have won one and dropped the other. The fact still remains that the FSU game came down to points. We didn't score when the opportunities presented themselves. Watson was in for most of that game. Case in point, this past Saturday, we had ZERO points from the part of the team that one job is to produce points and won.

As for Georgia, Charlie Whitehurst, Tajh Boyd, or any great Clemson QB could have played and it would have been the same problem. Not physical enough on the O-Line to sustain the defense. They figured out we were weak in run offense and started to tee off on us.

If Deshaun plays the entire Florida State game, we could have scored enough points. 1 of 3 field goals would have been overshadowed by two drives stunted by momentum stopping from changing QB and personnel. In fairness, if Cole stays in versus Florida State and we make the field goals, we would have won as well. Funny thing about Hindsight. Only works in the past.....

Awesome, but not fair to Tajh******

Oct 16, 2014, 11:58 AM

Totally wrong on Boyd...

Oct 16, 2014, 12:10 PM

Without a doubt Watson is better than Boyd, but he didn't get rattled under pressure. Boyd played under pressure his whole career. Tajh best game at Clemson was against LSU, where he got knocked around more than any other game in his career. 4 and 16 says hello SI.

4th & 16 happened b/c Boyd blew 1st, 2nd, & 3rd downs.

Oct 16, 2014, 3:02 PM

The LSU game was probably Boyd's finest moment, but the 4th & 16 miracle only happened because Boyd overthrew Hopkins TWICE on 1st & 2nd down, and then walked into a sack on 3rd down.
http://youtu.be/BPDlZYibhig?t=2h11m36s

Boyd was up and down. ("Peaks & valleys" as Gruden said to Boyd.) Boyd played well against LSU, but he seemed completely rattled and played poorly against FSU in that record-setting Death Valley loss. You never knew which Boyd would show up. Fortunately, mostly it was the good Boyd.

you tell em coot***

Oct 16, 2014, 6:36 PM

Love the kid but

Oct 16, 2014, 12:49 PM

We don't know what would have happened.

Also, he showed in the Louisville game that he still has some learning to do read defenses.

I feel very good about our future with him but no use in wondering what could have been as we don't really know.

Love Watson. Loved Boyd.

Oct 16, 2014, 12:52 PM

One thing about Boyd that Watson has not shown....

Boyd always got up. He never missed a game. Watson is slight. I hope we get through this year with him intact and that his finger is his only 'miss a game' injury. He'll need some bulk to assure that.

Fat Boy sure had his pluses.

Oct 16, 2014, 2:36 PM

Many people forgetting how badly he struggled early against Louisville. We may have lost that game had stout not come in. Watson has looked great but thrown into coverage a lot. May not have worked against Louisville.

Typical outsiders take on Tajh...

Oct 16, 2014, 2:53 PM

By listening to garbage like that, you'd think Tajh had never won a big game. Fact is he was one of the best ever to come through Clemson and his W/L record and stats prove that.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic