Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So if ND didn't deserve to be in CFP because we won by 27...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

So if ND didn't deserve to be in CFP because we won by 27...

Jan 24, 2019, 6:59 PM

...then do you apply the same silly logic to Bama having lost by 28?

Really dumb that so many decided ND didn't deserve it based on the final score.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So if ND didn't deserve to be in CFP because we won by 27...

Jan 24, 2019, 7:14 PM

ND fans were making the exact same point after we won the NC game. CFP committee got it right. Marginal teams (whether it's 5 and 6 in current format, or 9 and 10 in an 8 team format) will always find a way to complain.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I don't agree with the coot transitive logic

Jan 25, 2019, 8:24 AM

I do believe the commitee screwed up
Bama
Clem
OSU
Oklahoma

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: While I don't agree with the coot transitive logic

Jan 25, 2019, 10:00 AM

So you actually think an Ohio State that lost to a not even top 40 Purdue by 29 points, without any major injuries in the game for the committee to consider, should have been in over an undefeated ND? Teams can lose a game and make it in, but not when it's by over a 4 TD difference and the team lost to is not top 25 when played.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.

Jan 25, 2019, 10:14 AM

I think osu was 1 of the best 4 teams and 1 of the 4 most deserving teams last year.

Of the 6 in consideration, oSU had what tnet considered the worse loss, but they also what was considered the best win. None of the other teams had beat a top 5 team by 40..or whatever it was over Michigan. If 1 blow out can hurt, the other should help.

ND won 12 games, so did OSU. OSU was a conference champ via a champ game. ND was not.

The CFP can put any 1 in the top 4 they want for any reason they want.

People claim ok was put in over uga for political reasons. If that is a legitimate argument then I say ND was put in for the same.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Yes.

Jan 25, 2019, 10:46 AM

ND also beat Michigan though....and they don't count margin of victory when looking at comparables (says that in the protocol). So that washes out OH State's Michigan win, regardless the points. ND beat them (while MI was #14), OH State beat them....wash.

ND undefeated, OH State 1 loss to an unranked team 4 TD's, Oh State will always lose in the committee's eyes with that scenario. Also keep in mind, ND had beaten #12 Syracuse by 33, #7 Stanford by 21, and #24 VT by 21

Correct

Jan 25, 2019, 11:44 AM

But losing a game was not your point.

Your point was a team lost bad to an unranked team and didn't deserve to get in. So margin of victory matters and so does ranking.

TEAM N beat #14 rank Team M by 7
TEAM P beat #2 rank Team O by 29
TEAM O beat #5 rank Team M by 23

If margin of victory and rankings matter then they matter. If they don't, they don't. If they hurt you they should help you.

Yes ND played their football schedule and beat 12 teams. I posted after the regular season, before the conf champ games..

Bama
Clemson
Nd
Uga

Assuming bama..clemson..osu..and Oklahoma won...

I had
Bama
Clemson
OSU
Oklahoma

Losing 2 games knocked uga out
Winning confer champs games gets osu and Oklahoma in.

Doing nothing put ND out.

Re: Correct

Jan 25, 2019, 1:44 PM

I actually think they do take margin of victory into account such as getting blown out. What they say isn't taken into account is margin of victory against common opponents. Meaning in this case if both teams played Michigan then the committee isn't taking into account which team beat Michigan by more which to me does make sense as it isn't fair to compare head to head results against a team during week 1 and the final week of the season. ND could have been a better team in the final week than they were in week 1, or they could be a worse team by that point in the season, and the same is true for Michigan. Maybe Ohio State wouldn't have beaten Michigan if they played in week 1 instead, or perhaps it would've been closer.

With that said however, the committee does take into account how bad your loss is. There's a difference between Purdue playing out of their minds and pulling off a 3 point win at home against Ohio State, and Ohio State losing by 29 to them. Don't forget that Ohio State also had to go into overtime to beat a 5-7 Maryland team, and Maryland would've won the game if their QB makes an accurate throw to a wide open receiver for what would have been the game winning 2 point conversion.

Re: Correct

Jan 25, 2019, 1:51 PM

Bingo, you got what I'm saying in that. They will look at it when it's a loss. Just like they did with us in 2017.... Small point loss, lost QB in the game, sets up special circumstances that can explain a small loss. Wouldn't explain it as well if it had been, say, a 29 point loss like OSU had. But when comparing Michigan, which was a common opponent, all they will look at is if both teams beat them or not... They don't give incentive (exactly how it is termed in the protocol) for margin of victory when looking at comparables. They do look at results. In both cases, it was a W vs Michigan... So washes.

A "best team in the nation" might lose to Syracuse by 3 because they lost their starting QB....a "best team" doesn't lose to a Purdue team by 29 points that wasn't even top 40 the prior week with no major injuries at play. It's what they call "the eye test". And it was right. Let's be real... We are discussing their best win as beating the same Michigan that lost to Florida in the post season 41-15.

I can't say how the committee thinks

Jan 25, 2019, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Correct ]

It changes all the time.

All I can say is..if it was me

The Purdue loss was bad.. the um win was good.. they almost.. almost cancel each other out.

advantage ND . Let's give them 6.75 advantage points

OSU won 12 games won their conf via a champ game.. nd didnt.
Advantage OSU.. 6.74 advantage points.

Re: I can't say how the committee thinks

Jan 25, 2019, 3:39 PM

The issue there is you are cancelling out while looking at one team, and placing Championship at the top of importance. When comparing 2 opponents, the first thing the committee does is figure out if they are deemed comparable. So they aren't looking at just OH State...from there, ND undefeated (3 top 25 wins), OH State 1 loss (3 top 25 wins). That makes them not comparable. Championships won comes into play only if they are comparable. So the difference is how you are choosing to apply the championship...but as you'll see in the protocol, that only comes into play IF they are comparable.

So let's look at week 15 playoff picture and if they were comparable:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/playoffPicture/_/week/15
ND - SOS 34, SOR 3
OSU - SOS 46, SOR 4

ND 12 wins, 0 losses, no championship; OSU 12 wins, 1 loss, championship

So ND had a stronger SOS and SOR and were undefeated with the same number of wins, 1 less loss....while OSU had 1 blowout loss to a non-ranked opponent with a weaker SOS and SOR. From that point alone, the committee would deem them as not comparable, ND gets the advantage. Therefore, they do not look at Championships won, as record alone with the same # of top 25 wins puts ND ahead of OSU.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2016/10/24/selection-committee-protocol.aspx

Principles. The committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:

Conference championships won,
Strength of schedule,
Head-to-head competition,
Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
Other relevant factors such as key injuries that may have affected a team's performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

^
So if looking at it from your direction of perspective... point 1, OSU gets.
point 2, ND gets (had a stronger SOS/SOR)
point 3 never happened (they never faced each other)
point 4...both played Michigan, both won their respective game...tie. Note in bold, it says "without incenting margin of victory", thus it does not matter the score differentials, just the result of the comparable game.
point 5...neither had a key injury to attribute to an outcome....wash

So all that's left to break the "tie" (OSU's championship vs ND's SOS/SOR) is final record and looking into circumstances of any losses in the record...12-0 > 12-1, when the 1 was a 29 point blowout loss to an un-ranked team that did not sit or finish in the top 40 in any poll.

I don't get into the sos .. ranking.. hoopla

Jan 25, 2019, 6:42 PM

They start the season with rankings with zero games played . Every ranking after that is predicated by the 1st one. 10 sec teams are in that preseason ranking which all but guarantees every SEC team will have played at least 3 ranked teams.

It is an archaic system that was used to crown NC. I'm glad college is slowly getting away from it.

I certainly am not going to rely on ESPN's made up formulas for sos. Power rankings, victory predictors , indexes, or anything else they come up with.

As I posted.. this is MY ranking.. and I put emphasis on conference champs via champ games . I considered nd , uga, and osu comparable at the end of the regular season with nd having the advantage.
..behind after the ccg.

Re: Yes.

Jan 25, 2019, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Yes. ]

How exactly was Ohio State one of the 4 most deserving teams last year? They lost by 15 to Oklahoma, and by 31 points to a 7-5 Iowa team. There was a reason we were all hoping to draw Ohio State for our CFP matchup that year instead of Alabama and it wasn't because we thought Ohio State deserved it more.

What the boogie woogie?

Jan 25, 2019, 2:04 PM

OSU didn't play oklahoma last year. Nor did they lose to Iowa.

Re: What the boogie woogie?

Jan 25, 2019, 2:22 PM

My bad. I read your post and thought you were saying that Ohio State was 1 of the top 4 this year, and also deserved to get in last year, and that you meant 2017 when you said last year.

Re: What the boogie woogie?

Jan 25, 2019, 3:42 PM

You are in 2019 season now...last year is the 2018 season that just passed. ^_^

I think Ohio State was probably better than ND and certainly

Jan 25, 2019, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: While I don't agree with the coot transitive logic ]

had more upside than ND with Haskins at QB, but they were also more inconsistent and played a couple of really bad games. If Maryland's QB could've completed a pretty easy pass on the 2pt conversion, OSU has 2 losses. My biggest issue with putting OSU ahead of ND is that you are really falling into a similar trap as with Georgia. The argument is centered around who's the "best" team vs who was most deserving. Honestly i think Georgia and OSU were probably both better teams than ND, but i still think ND deserved to be in the playoff. Regardless of who's better on paper or who would be favored in Vegas, the results still have to mean something.

Re: While I don't agree with the coot transitive logic

Jan 25, 2019, 10:02 AM [ in reply to While I don't agree with the coot transitive logic ]

I'm still of the opinion that the CFP is to determine the National Champion ..... not necessarily who the 3rd and 4th best teams are. So it is most important to distinguish who the 1st and 2nd best teams are and make sure they are in the CFP. It would be noice if you were sure that the 3rd and 4th best teams were in, but I think there is also an element of the "most deserving" teams getting in. UGA proved that they did not belong, but before the bowls, many (albeit mostly UGA fans) thought they should be included. I like the four tean CFP and think the committee has gotten it right.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That isn't an opinion

Jan 25, 2019, 10:20 AM

.it is the outright truth.

The CFP chooses who will be the NC.. or i guess to be more accurate, it chooses which 4 teams can be the NC.

The 4th team wins the NC 40% of the time, so that 4th spot is a big deal.

Jan 24, 2019, 7:25 PM

I still can’t figure out why they dropped to fifth in the final poll.

Jan 24, 2019, 7:54 PM

Exactly. Based on ESPN rational, ND should have moved up in polls after losing to us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep.. same thought. I'd put it 2. ND 3. BAMA 4. OK

Jan 24, 2019, 8:08 PM [ in reply to Re: So if ND didn't deserve to be in CFP because we won by 27... ]

ND played a much better game than Bama. The score doesn't tell the story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Yep.. same thought. I'd put it 2. ND 3. BAMA 4. OK

Jan 24, 2019, 10:14 PM

I’ll disagree and I don’t think it’s close. Bama would abuse ND. We played a great game and forced Saban to take drastic measures because he knew we were better.

I think they left at least 9-12 points on the table from field goals they gave up on. Make those and game is 44-28 range. Bama just knew they couldn’t hang and that 44 could have been more if we wanted. Still the margin would have been closer to ND whose offense was beyond pathetic.

If Bama would have kicked two more field goals, we would

Jan 25, 2019, 7:15 AM

have scored one more touchdown. If you make the final 4, you are in the final four regardless of polls.IMHO.

Totally agree with Spud! The only thing that changes in the

Jan 25, 2019, 8:01 AM

final 4 teams in the rankings are the order so the worst ND should have been is #4!

Ehh, i was more impressed with Bama than ND

Jan 25, 2019, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Yep.. same thought. I'd put it 2. ND 3. BAMA 4. OK ]

I think ND actually had the better defense of the two, but their offense never really threatened to do anything against our defense.

Bama actually did a lot of things really well against us, but we made basically every single crucial play in the game. They moved the ball at will on us until they got into the red zone and then they couldn't finish drives. They also put our offense in 3rd and long situations over and over but then gave up huge passes.

To be honest, it's not THAT hard to envision a scenario where Bama is a little more clinical in the red zone and gets a couple of stops on those 3rd and longs. If the game was closer Saban probably doesn't repeatedly go for it and come on short on 4th downs deep in our territory.

Our post game win expectancy against Bama was only 70% which is really low for a 28 point blowout. Compare that to 100% against ND. I think we had a better team than Bama and i think we were much better on that particular night, but i don't think this was a situation where we cuold play them 10 times and expect to win 8, 9, or even 10 of those games. I think we win like 6 out of 10, maaaaaybe 7.

I see basically no scenario where ND gives us a real game. Their offense just couldn't do squat. We could play ND 10 times in the playoff and seriously expect to win 8 or 9 IMO.

Jan 25, 2019, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: So if ND didn't deserve to be in CFP because we won by 27... ]

I agree....

1 loss ND with a 27 point loss to only the #1 team
1 loss OH State with a 29 point loss to a team that was when played and finished not even in the top 40...

The main difference is OH State won a conference Championship, ND didn't play in one...but you'd think that gets cancelled by the fact their loss was to a non top 40 team.

At the end does it really matter? Does the Ricky Bobby rule

Jan 25, 2019, 6:45 PM [ in reply to Re: So if ND didn't deserve to be in CFP because we won by 27... ]

Not trump all other arguments?

If you're not first your last..

Ok was much better than ND because Ok played bama close

Jan 24, 2019, 7:27 PM

and Clemson blew out ND

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clearly the NC game should have been an Orange vs White game.***

Jan 24, 2019, 7:29 PM

null

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Underrated post of the month ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^***

Jan 25, 2019, 10:12 AM

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Clemson was a really really really good team this year***

Jan 24, 2019, 7:33 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Clemson was a really really really good team this year***

Jan 25, 2019, 6:37 AM

Maybe the best ever. ??

Clemson 2018 vs FSU 2013, who ya got?***

Jan 25, 2019, 10:15 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Clemson 2018 vs FSU 2013, who ya got?***

Jan 25, 2019, 10:32 AM

Clemson 2018...Winston wouldn't have done half of what he did to us against this year's defense, and Clemson would have done much better not turning the ball over 4 times and wouldn't have had a QB that ran around with a deer in headlights look who runs backwards 25 yards to throw it into the hands of an uncovered FSU defender for a pick 6 either.

Yes.***

Jan 24, 2019, 9:56 PM

To be honest, ND gave us more trouble than Bama

Jan 25, 2019, 6:40 AM

We had to earn it more....from passing yards to rushing yards...vs. ND than we did bama.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To be honest, ND gave us more trouble than Bama

Jan 25, 2019, 6:49 AM

Bama just melted down. If we played Bama ten times we would have harder time than if we played ND 10 times imo.

Re: To be honest, ND gave us more trouble than Bama

Jan 25, 2019, 2:19 PM

I agree with this. Bama actually put up a decent amount of yards, and it seemed as if they had a drive on our side of the 50 nearly every time they had the ball. The score is much different, but it reminds me somewhat of our game with WV. It was a back and forth game and then we made a couple of mistakes and a competitive game turned into a blowout. I think Bama fell apart a bit after we went up 2 scores following their 2nd turnover of the game. That's not to take anything away from what we did to them because we earned it every step of the way, but I never felt ND could hang with us.

Scoreboard matters

Jan 25, 2019, 7:44 AM [ in reply to To be honest, ND gave us more trouble than Bama ]

The often mentioned 'eye test' and the unmeasurable 'four best teams' are subjective measurements that are most often going to be debatable and strongly influenced by reputations, conference affiliation and so forth. Because of the variability of the eye test and the 'best team' opinions I like the manner in which college football creates the playoff. We have a group of informed reasonable people put in significant time and effort to name the 4 teams. That's fine with me and I think it will most often result in perfectly justifiable semifinals and champions.

This year Clemson went 15-0, and left no doubt when looking at the scoreboard who the number 1 team in America was. After that, the matter is largely subjective since every team did not play every other team.

My post season list would look a bit like this:

1. Clemson 15-0
2. Alabama 14-1
3. Ohio State 13-1
4. Notre Dame 12-1
5. Oklahoma 12-2

ROY BUS sitting up front:
LSU 10-3
Florida 10-3
Syracuse 10-3
Texas 10-4
Georgia 10-3
Michigan 10-3
Washington State 11-2
Army 11-2
Kentucky 10-3

ROY are largely subjective. Schedule counts some.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Scoreboard matters

Jan 25, 2019, 8:21 AM

You don't have the required number of sec teams with the ROY's. You need to add TA&MU and Miss State.

Re: Scoreboard matters

Jan 25, 2019, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Scoreboard matters ]

If scoreboard matters, at the very least flip OH State and ND....one lost to #1 by 27, the other lost to a non top 40 team by 29.

I was excommunicated from Tnet for saying that.

Jan 25, 2019, 7:46 AM [ in reply to To be honest, ND gave us more trouble than Bama ]

I said a ND/Bama matchup would have been a good game but the media hangover from 'Bama is the GOAT,' echoed through the minds of Clemson fans.

Folks will soon look back over the last five or so years and begin to see that contrary to their mindset throughout this time, it wasn't the Bama era, it was all about Clemson. For several years Bama has tried to gear up for the spread offense. We know that without having a spread offense it's nearly impossible to prepare your defense to handle the various ways a spread can attack.

Dabo is harvesting a new crop every year and Saban is still plowing and hoping for Spring rain.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2019, 6:47 AM

I think ND deserved to be there because of their record, but I am confident that they weren't one of the 4 best teams. That's because I gamble a lot and have watched them all year. I don't go by the score though of when we played them. They deserved to be in the game though. They were by far the worse team of the 4 teams imo.

In the end it's another knee jerk reaction....

Jan 25, 2019, 9:55 AM

Lil' ol' Clemson blew out ND therefore ND is terrible instead of WOW Clemson is incredible and Bama is gonna get more than they want.

The ND pundit response was another dis of Clemson. After blowing out Bama the pundits are just now coming around realizing it wasn't about ND always not showing up to the big game but Clemson had an incredible team.

As others have said, 5 years from now the evaluation will be that it was Clemson's decade much like we witnessed with Miami's rise to prominence.

Jan 25, 2019, 11:17 AM

My favorite comparison is:

UNDEFEATED Notre Dame didn't deserve to be in the playoff because Clemson beat them by 27. Followed by, Bama showed how great and dominant they are by beating ONE LOSS Oklahoma by 11.

Very odd that 3rd ranked undefeated team is questioned while the 4th ranked 1 loss team is given a pass because they only lost by 11 after being down three scores before the seats got warm.

Disclaimer: I think the correct 4 teams were in. 1-3 should have been unquestioned and Oklahoma's loss was avenged while OSU got blown out and squeaked by some other terrible teams.

Jan 25, 2019, 11:32 AM

I don't think ND should have been in the CFP because every game that they consider important it's like a reoccurring nightmare for their fans to watch them get demolished. I feel like Georgia maybe would have been a better choice but only if they played better than they showed in their bowl game.

ND didn't deserve to be in the CFP because....

Jan 25, 2019, 2:09 PM

we should have beaten them in the ACCCG

Jan 25, 2019, 7:09 PM

Sorry, I don’t care how much folks hate Notre Dame. They went 12-0 and earned the right to make it in. It’s not their fault that their schedule didn’t produce- they had plenty of names on there.

Unbelievably, Bama fans think we had an advantage because

Jan 25, 2019, 9:10 PM

we had an easy semi opponent. The same semi opponent that gave us a better game than Bama and held us to less points for the entire game than Bama did in the first half. Look I have great respect for Alabama. They are the gold standard and I am thrilled that two of our three national championships were won against them. That is an honor. But honestly, some of the BS that SEC and Bama gets into their head sometimes like the whole Notre Dame thing really makes me want to say the real final ranking after the playoff should be:

1. Clemson
2. Notre Dame
3. Alabama
4. Ohio State
5. Oklahoma

or, more appropriately

1. Clemson

2. see Roy Bus
3. see Roy Bus
4. See Roy Bus
5. See Roy Bus

I think the four CFP teams should always remain in the top 4

Jan 25, 2019, 9:13 PM

Just reshuffle them according to who win and how they won.

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. ND

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic