Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Top 5 coaches in ACC basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,433

Top 5 coaches in ACC basketball

Jul 25, 2018, 4:34 PM

Who you got?
Mine has to be
1. Coach K
2. Tony Bennet
3. Roy Williams (even though i hate him)
4. Jim Boehiem
5. Mike Brey
On the bubble: Buzz Williams, Jim Laranaga, Leonard Hamilton
(I purposely discluded coach B.B. to stay unbiased)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Top 5 coaches in ACC basketball

Jul 25, 2018, 4:40 PM

Feel like there is a big jump after 5. And would certainly not have buzz on the bubble.. he hasn't done too much yet.

Jul 25, 2018, 4:46 PM

He took the 15th best ACC team to a tournament team for back to back years now, that’s why i like him.

Roy has to be ahead of Tony Bennett

Jul 25, 2018, 4:45 PM

until Bennett actually does something in the NCAAT. Laranaga would be my choice from that next group.

Mine are...

Jul 25, 2018, 8:12 PM

1. Coach K - great coach, runs a clean program, has won a ton over several decades. Sets the standard for college basketball coaches IMO.
2. Roy Williams - can't stand him and think he's a snake, but there's no denying his ability to win.
3. Jim Boeheim - huge jerk, but he has won a lot.
4. Mike Brey - extremely underrated, but has won a lot and always has well-coached teams.
5. Tony Bennett - very good coach, but way behind the top 3 and a fair distance behind Brey IMO.

I think Brownell is an excellent coach, but he doesn't have the level of success over a long period of time that the top 5 do.

Another interesting way to rank them, which would be nearly impossible but fun, is to assume that each coach has the same roster. Equal talent, same advantages/disadvantages - how would you rank them? An argument could be made that coaches like Roy Williams, although successful, have always had a huge talent advantage over other coaches. Guys like Brownell and Buzz Williams, though, are always at a talent disadvantage over the blue blood basketball schools but still get a ton out of the players they do have.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

great list - forgive my copy and edit

Jul 26, 2018, 6:44 PM

saving me some typing

1. Coach K - great coach, has won a ton over several decades. (his program is not so squeaky clean)
2. Roy Williams - talks funny and dresses funny... has the 'good ole boy' schtick down like no one else... (but maybe that's who he really is?)
3. Mike Brey - always has well-coached teams.
4. Jim Boeheim - huge jerk, but he has won a lot
5. Tony Bennett - very good coach, but way behind the top 3 and a fair distance behind Brey IMO.

Jul 27, 2018, 11:13 AM

Why is Boehiem on this list? Yes he won a national championship but what makes him a good coach? Talk about overrated, his teams are on the bubble every single year

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,433
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic