Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tone of Nuk's response suggests he an Dabo may not be cool
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Tone of Nuk's response suggests he an Dabo may not be cool

Sep 15, 2016, 8:36 AM

It's not about the fact that he disagreed with Dabo because we all have friends and mentors we might disagree with from time to time. However, the tone of the response just seem to come across as if there might me a little extra something there. Maybe I'm wrong. Did anyone else get this impression?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tone of Nuk's response suggests he an Dabo may not be cool

Sep 15, 2016, 8:39 AM

SMH

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Sep 15, 2016, 8:44 AM

Sounds like he just has an attitude about race, period.

in my opinion, Nuk decided he would throw Dabo under the bus

Sep 15, 2016, 8:43 AM

under the pressure to "stand up" for his race.

I also have a hard time believing that his principal at Daniel High told him to "get used to it" when he had concerns about being called the "n" word.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: in my opinion, Nuk decided he would throw Dabo under the bus

Sep 15, 2016, 9:11 AM

U guys don't get. He's just expressing his frustration over issues he's experienced all his life. I agree with some of Dabo's sentiments. But you will never understand how it truly is to be an African American male in the US. You won't ever know. For most of you with your ideology. I'm glad because you couldn't handle it. Trust me.

Please tell us. Give me specific details, events and examples

Sep 15, 2016, 9:35 AM

that go along with your argument. What "wouldn't I handle?" What "don't I know about?" Because from what I've seen, there isn't anything holding ANYONE back in this country except individual actions (that's assuming everyone is on the same legal playing field...meaning not breaking the law).

What I've witnessed (at Clemson, as a student specifically): affirmative action, opportunities and efforts to increase diversity which ultimately lower the standards for people of color (many colleges within Clemson have diversity quotas), clubs groups and organizations only for people of color (Call Me Mister, for example), and racism from all sides (making the "racism" card irrelevant).

If anything, African Americans in 2016 have it easier than others. And Nuk grew up in Central, South Carolina, not Chicago.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Please tell us. Give me specific details, events and examples

Sep 15, 2016, 9:41 AM

Would have to agree, when it comes to grad programs, med school, white male is about the worst thing you can be unless you're grades and scores are perfect

Re: Please tell us. Give me specific details, events and examples

Sep 15, 2016, 9:42 AM

Your^

Clemson's Student Services grad program

Sep 15, 2016, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Please tell us. Give me specific details, events and examples ]

(school of education) will straight up tell you that your chances are not good as a white male. They want females and you can guess the rest. Do you see me complaining? No, that was a blessing in disguise that I was turned away. Job placement in that field is at an all time low.

It is what it is. But I'm sick of people calling foul when there isn't any foul at all. In fact, you can make an argument that it's almost the other way around.

Re: Clemson's Student Services grad program

Sep 15, 2016, 5:37 PM

I wasn't complaining just pointing it out; in fact you don't hear us marching, bitching and moaning all the time.
Actually that was an injustice, my grades and scores were exponentially higher than others accepted but do to my skin color and sex I didn't get in? Hmm maybe I should sue someone or go loot a west marine or a brooks brothers...
Nope I just moved on like an educated adult.

If you're looting a Brooks Brothers I wear a 16.5 / 35 shirt***

Sep 15, 2016, 10:22 AM

You, sir, don't get it. Maybe some day you will.

Sep 15, 2016, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: in my opinion, Nuk decided he would throw Dabo under the bus ]

Of course we who are not black will never truly know what it's like. But that doesn't mean someone like Dabo shouldn't share his opinion. Dabo should have as much street cred as any non-black person. He grew up in a poor Alabama town with a single mom because his alcoholic dad left them. Sound familiar?
I know exactly what Dabo went through. I, too, was born a poor white child (even though I'm darker than some of my "black" friends). My dad left when I was 8; my brother was 6. My mom was young and worked hard until she became disabled. My stepfather, a mechanic, helped us get by until he died in an auto accident my first year of school (which kept me from transferring to Clemson). And I didn't qualify for tuition assistance until my senior year, at which time the aid office said, "Well, your loan was processed, so you don't really need the Pell grant." Because I was the first in my family to go to college, I had no help navigating the system. I struggled financially until I was 35, when my hard work and determination finally began to pay off. NOBODY gave me ANYTHING!

I say all of this because people like the communications professor like to paint Dabo as some privileged white guy with a big salary. He busted his a$$ for what he has, and so have I, and so have so many people of all colors. To continue holding back minorities by putting into their heads the thought that they can't achieve their dreams because the man is after them and police will kill them is a huge injustice.

All of this stems from the "mistreatment" of young blacks by the police. Yes, there are bad cops, but not nearly as many as some would suggest. Still too many, and it needs to be dealt with, but like Dabo said (and I'll make it stronger): If you don't like this country, get the f@@& out!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Re: in my opinion, Nuk decided he would throw Dabo under the bus

Sep 15, 2016, 11:28 AM [ in reply to in my opinion, Nuk decided he would throw Dabo under the bus ]

Thats a bigot statement. Under the pressure of his race? Cut that BS out!

Then you went on to say you don't believe he was Called the N word? You don't believe his principal told him to get used to it? That's BS dude for real. You believe and agree with everything Dabo said, but have a hard believing and agreeing with what Nuk said? I wonder why?

Sep 15, 2016, 8:44 AM

Why does it matter? Nuk's moved on to better things. Not everybody going to always be a tiger homer.

No

Sep 15, 2016, 8:46 AM

Both Dabo and Nuk were asked on the cuff to comment on a very touchy issue. Not like the questions were submitted ahead of time for them to prepare a statement.

Guarantee you Dabo has no resentment for Nuk. And I doubt, too, Nuk was trying to put Dabo down. Both spoke in the moment and would likely come to agreement if they sat down together to discuss the whole issue.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Sep 15, 2016, 9:22 AM

Seriously you might want to see someone, you always look for the negative in every single situation/topic.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

If he supports kanye pest and not Dabo

Sep 15, 2016, 9:30 AM

Then he has much bigger issues than defending crappernick

Sep 15, 2016, 9:54 AM

Oh brother .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I doubt Nuk heard the entire statement

Sep 15, 2016, 10:16 AM

and was reacting to a soundbite.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic