Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tom Wright to the rescue. Does what no US pastor can.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 488

Tom Wright to the rescue. Does what no US pastor can.

May 19, 2020, 8:14 PM

Talks some sense during this corona sh*t. Good job Tom.

https://twitter.com/profntwright/status/1262867645336113152

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is this kick you’re on the past few days?

May 19, 2020, 8:21 PM

There are many in here who take shots at organized religion at every opportunity....up until the past few days I don’t recall you being one of them. I get questioning one’s faith during something like this, but you seem downright bitter, to the point that you can’t post a positive message without taking a potshot at literally all US pastors. It’s not gonna affect my faith one way or another, so carry on if the venting helps you, but I just wanted to make sure everything was ok since it seems out of character. If you’ve suffered a close personal loss, then I missed it and I apologize for being obtuse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And apologies in advance....

May 19, 2020, 8:29 PM

That post was coming from genuine concern, and it just occurred to me that as such, it would have been better served as a private Tmail than a post. My apologies, as it probably came off as a “gotcha” attempt—it truly wasn’t.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks. Yes, this crisis has affected my faith in the church.

May 20, 2020, 7:21 AM

Mostly because of what I’ve seen locally and at my own church. But when I started asking around for better perspectives, no one had one, until a friend suggested N. T. Wright. Fresh air now breathed. Feeling better personally. Still very disappointed in US pastors and churches’ responses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have a wealth of theological writings to dig through...

May 20, 2020, 7:34 AM

Don’t just start with 2020. You could look up what theological scholars thought during every past plague/pandemic, war, depression, famine, etc. The thought of “how could God let this happen” probably starts a few minutes after the eviction from Eden.

Re: You have a wealth of theological writings to dig through...

May 20, 2020, 7:54 AM

I agree whole heartedly. Faith and Duty are some things Jesus Himself spoke directly about as well. But, as you have stated, people can become discouraged when faith wavers - or when the perception is that God "doesn't care" what is happening to people. In these times encouragement can be found. Understanding how those before us dealt with these same feelings can be found to guide is in a better way. In the end, however, it always hinges on what condition the persons faith is in.

Personally, it hurts to see people shaken in faith just as much as it does to see people suffer in life. And for all who are "shaken" in faith - no matter what the reason - my prayer is they return in strength and empowered to help others dealing with the issues they have dealt with.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

I am well versed. Augustine's The City of God speaks to this

May 20, 2020, 8:25 AM [ in reply to You have a wealth of theological writings to dig through... ]

and that's some WAY back stuff.

Again, my main beef is with how tone deaf current-day pastors have been here in the USA. And a big part of it is their right-wing leanings and discounting of science. Only in America. SMH.

Re: I am well versed. Augustine's The City of God speaks to this

May 20, 2020, 4:12 PM

It is not a new idea that 'religion' can be corrupt. My experience has taught me not to evaluate God based on the behavior of His adherents.

During the crusades, one of the sayings sponsored by the religious was"To kill an infidel is not murder but rather the pathway to heaven". Today we easily see what a corruption of the Gospel that idea is. But back in the day, it helped send a lot of the religious to Jerusalem.

I, like you, am dismayed by the behavior of some pastors. But, historically speaking, man is corrupt and man will always corrupt what is before him. Be that the Gospel, the Koran, any religion.

I have no doubt that many modern pastors would have no hesitation in installing a Theocracy in this country if given the power and opportunity. So, there's nothing new under the sun. Man is corrupt, God is not. In my life, I've often found myself struggling to separate the 2. Ultimately I always come back to God. The truth transcends time and culture.

I would also recommend a great book called "Man's Search For Meaning" by Dr. Victor Frankl. He was a psychologist who had worked with Freud. He and his wife were taken to Auschwitz. The horror he witnessed is hard to wrap my mind around. But he studied the reactions of people to those circumstances. It is a fascinating read.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well-versed in Frankl. Also, Gandhi's (possible) quote comes

May 21, 2020, 2:25 PM

to mind: "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Re: And apologies in advance....

May 20, 2020, 7:25 AM [ in reply to And apologies in advance.... ]

Is that you Prod?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please oh please just don’t thumbs down me again.

May 20, 2020, 7:30 AM

That’s all I ask.

I'm delighted you find solace at last.

May 20, 2020, 2:34 PM

I've found after many years of reading books about the Bible that nothing does substitute for reading The Bible. That is most effective after a brief 10 minute prayer asking God to open His word and give me what He wants me to have from it.

So many times I read the Bible with no intent other than proving it said what I wanted it to say or desperately seeing the answer to a specific question which was confusing or a problem for me. Many of those times turned out to satisfy my immediate needs but the thousands of times I was seeking Him personally rather than anything else is what remains written in my heart on fleshly tablets.

When a man becomes an open book to God, God opens His book to man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 488
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic