Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Todays computer tech tip: NVMe solid state drives
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 454

Todays computer tech tip: NVMe solid state drives

Jan 10, 2020, 1:10 PM

I replaced the smaller 256GB drive in my Apple Macbook with a 1 TB NVMe SSD drive. Holy crap--its like a new computer. It more than doubled (2.5x) the read speeds and doubled the write speeds--and that was from an existing SSD.

If your computer needs a bigger hard drive, put one of these in. The prices have gotten very reasonable. I can't imagine the performance difference you'd have if you had an old spinning disk.

/csb

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had one for over a year now. PC boots in 12 seconds

Jan 10, 2020, 1:22 PM

Between that and the 32GB of RAM, most mundane stuff is basically instant.

Curious though in a Macbook, do they have an M.2 slot for the NVMe drive? That's something that has to be on the motherboard and only newish motherboards have them. Or is it using a SATA 6GB port? If it's an SATA port, you're not getting near the full speed of that thing. I get just over 3GB/sec read and 2.8ish GB/sec write speeds, and they're even faster now.

NVMe is the future of hard drives, no doubt. 1TB drive is literally the size of a stick of chewing gum.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok nerds***

Jan 10, 2020, 1:23 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I held off commenting on the increase in PCIe lanes

Jan 10, 2020, 1:26 PM

and GPU's going away from Crossfire and SLI to free up more PCIe bandwidth for M.2 drives. There's a new PCIe spec that's come out (or coming out) that's 30% faster too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On the MBP, they do have a slot for it.

Jan 10, 2020, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Had one for over a year now. PC boots in 12 seconds ]

The original drive was a 6GB port, but there are adapters, or you can buy the drive from macsales.com and they custom build the drive to use the 6GB port. My understanding is that they did a firmware upgrade with the High Sierra OS installation that allowed them to upgrade the port to the m.2 slot specs, even though its really a 6GB slot.

How much were they a year ago?

Jan 10, 2020, 1:32 PM

The Samsung 970 1 TB drives are about $170 now; the macsales.com version I bought was $249.

If I still bought hardware for our VM hosts at work, I'd spec out a box full of these things for a VSAN. I'm not sure about its longevity, but it'd be dammm fast. I could probably clear out a rack full of Netapp SANs.

Was the 256GB also SSD?***

Jan 10, 2020, 1:30 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep

Jan 10, 2020, 1:32 PM

It was the original drive in the Macbook pro.

Replies: 7
| visibility 454
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic