Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
WIll Dabo Go To Bama Or Not?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

WIll Dabo Go To Bama Or Not?

May 1, 2018, 10:12 PM

Lots of folks on here seem to like to speculate or talk about this topic so here is my two cents worth.

First of all, I think if at some point Bama really comes after Dabo, he will go-too much family, too many teammates, etc., etc., etc..

Having said that , it will be a huge mistake. Dabo, despite a graduate, is a terrible fit for Bama. He actually seems to enjoy his job! Bama likes for their coach to act as though his job is the most important thing in the world, which it is, at least to them. Dabo even acts a little goofy sometimes. The only way Bama allows that is if he never loses a game, which isn't likely to be the case.

Like I said, if the stars line up in a way that results in them really coming after him, I think he goes. If that happens, we will be fine. Saban isn't the only guy that can win at Bama and Dabo isn't he only guy that can win at Clemson. A lot of decisions have been made and things done been at Clemson to get us to this point that are just as critical to our success as the head coach. I think he'd be the first to admit that.

By the way I'm not a Coot. I 'd bet I've spent as much monetary and emotional capital supporting Clemson as anyone that posts here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coaches in 3 straight playoffs dont make lateral moves

May 1, 2018, 10:34 PM

Thats why Saban aint coming to Clemson and Dabo aint interested in Bama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: WIll Dabo Go To Bama Or Not?

May 1, 2018, 10:39 PM

No... Next question...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To visit maybe, but not to be the head football coach

May 1, 2018, 10:49 PM

at The University Of Alabama. The reasons are obvious and have been stated numerous times, but I'll give it one more go for you.

Dabo won't need the money. He's already set for life and Clemson will pay to keep him as long as he wins. Since he won't need the money, something else will have to compell him; what would that be? He has established family, friends, and deep ties to the community in Clemson. His vision has become (and is still becoming) a reality in Clemson. He won't have that opportunity at Alabama, in fact, he would have to change the culture of perhaps the most successful, storied program of our time. In Clemson he is respected, beloved, and almost worshipped, and he always will be; in Alabama he would constantly be compared to a host of preceding legends. The pressure to win in Alabama would be much greater than at Clemson, and expectations ridiculously higher. Dabo wants to win, and win big; he can do that at Clemson, and is proving it can be done on the same level as it is done anywhere, including Alabama.

The bottom line is, Dabo has and can have absolutely everything he wants in life right here in little ole Clemson, without any of the negatives that would come with taking over the Alabama program. Clemson really is a special place, and Dabo knows it. Some folks never will get it though, and that's just fine.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: To visit maybe, but not to be the head football coach

May 2, 2018, 2:22 AM

Real Tiger fans, please help make Smiling's post/answer the POTM, Post of the Month!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2018, 8:17 AM [ in reply to To visit maybe, but not to be the head football coach ]

Very well said. At Clemson Dabo is a deity. At Alabama he would be just another great coach, but he would bring a completely new culture to their "win at all costs" philosophy. It would be a major change that would introduce discipline and values the current players didn't sign up for, and IMO, it would take a cycle of players to re-invent their program to what Dabo will insist on. Alabama won't wait that long for the change in culture to take hold. JMO, and maybe Dabo will jump, but I doubt he will remain for a long tenure, if he were to go back "home".

Message was edited by: Dugatiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2018, 5:47 PM [ in reply to To visit maybe, but not to be the head football coach ]

Something else many overlook, football history. Before Saban got there, every Bama coaching hire was expected to be the second coming of Bear Bryant. Except for Gene Stallings, the average post Bear Bama HC lifespan at the job was two seasons. The job comes with a built in hot seat. If a Bama HC doesn't win the SEC by his second season ( 3rd at worst ), he better start looking for a new job. Not saying Dabo can't succeed there but there's no real learning curve or adjustment period. The expectations at Bama are stratospheric and so are the risks.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post unfortunately it will be lost to the OP.....

May 3, 2018, 6:51 AM [ in reply to To visit maybe, but not to be the head football coach ]

He's just here trolling.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2018, 11:29 PM

I'm betting that Dabo is smarter than Gene Bartow. Never be the guy who follows THE guy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No!!!!!

May 2, 2018, 12:30 AM

When Saban retires from BAMA Coach Swinney will have 2 or 3 National Titles and will be making 8 to 10 million a year with a multi year contract. His buyout will be in the 30 to 40 million range, and BAMA isn’t writing a check to Clemson for 30 to 40 million and then give Coach Swinney a 7 to 10 year, 10 million a year contract. The total acquisition cost for BAMA over 7 to 10 years would be 100 million to 140 million. BAMA will find another coach at a lot lower acquisition cost, and Coach Swinney will retire at Clemson.

It appears some of you don’t know Coach Swinney and the way he lives his life. There are things he loves more than Clemson and they’re God, his wife, his sons, and his extended family, and a lot of his extended family lives in the Clemson area. He’s built something special at Clemson and the program reflects his vision and values. He loves The University of Alabama, but not more than God, his wife, his sons, extended family, or the program he built, so he isn’t leaving it to be a caretaker of the BAMA program.

So coot just go ahead and plan a vacation for the Saturday after Thanksgiving, so you have to watch the annual beat down your team will receive for years.

2018: 5 in a row.
Clemson 70
USCjr 13

Re: No!!!!!

May 2, 2018, 2:25 AM

POTD, Post of the Day behind Smiling's POTM, Post of the Month!!!!

May 2, 2018, 8:21 AM [ in reply to No!!!!! ]

So well said, and my sentiments, exactly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2018, 8:50 AM [ in reply to No!!!!! ]

This makes sense.

May 2, 2018, 2:17 AM

I'm sure you have a dumber question than that if that's what you're trying to accomplish!!!

May 2, 2018, 2:26 AM

Would Danny Ford have gone to Bama if he could maintain success at Clemson? I don't think so. I hope Dabo doesn't go, but if he does, I hope he waits at least 8-10 more years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2018, 8:36 AM

I remember back in the day.... After Clemson fired Danny, Alabama was looking for a new coach a short while later. I recall an Alabama legislator trying to get Bama to hire Ford as head coach.

There is a good chance he goes eventually

May 2, 2018, 5:41 AM

If he goes he would follow the guy who follows Saban. It woukdnt be about money.

However, is it in Nick to actuallyy retire from coaching? Does the guy have any other interests? He's 66 but seems healthy and why couldn't this turn into a Bill Snyder situation where he just stays another decade or more assuming no scandals and continued on field success? Does he have any outside interests? To me it seems that for him football is life and I don't get a vibe he would step down and take an AD job. However, I know the man personally as well as all of you - which is not at all.

I think Dabo would want a shot at being the Alabama coach. But not sure anyone who is successful wants to follow Nick at Bama. Especially if Bama is still near on the mountaintop when Nick leaves. For Dabo to heavily consider, Nick needs to step down in next five years and then the next guy needs to only find moderate success and get pushed out.

At that time William Christopher would be nearing 60 and Clemson will have one or more additional National Championship trophies - hopefully. Dabo would have had a twenty year run at CU as head coach and would spend his last coaching job at Alabama to bring them back once again to the top.

I would like Clemson to be his final destination but the above scenario as probable as any.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will TL beat out HJ and KB?***

May 2, 2018, 7:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Acts a little goofy sometimes?

May 2, 2018, 7:11 AM

Yeah, like a fox!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2018, 7:48 AM

I was not aware that Bama was looking for a HC or that Dabo had been offered the job. Please post this again when either of these things happen and I would be glad to discuss

May 2, 2018, 7:48 AM

I was not aware that Bama was looking for a HC or that Dabo had been offered the job. Please post this again when either of these things happen and I would be glad to discuss

Tell 'em capon

May 2, 2018, 8:08 AM

Lower than a coot.

I'm about ready to fire him now!

May 2, 2018, 8:30 AM

All his talk about taking another job after not winning a ballgame in four months.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WIll Dabo Go To Bama Or Not? yes

May 2, 2018, 9:12 AM

Periodically to visit friends and relatives but that's all

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2018, 5:16 PM

As confusing as it is, I feel like at this point there’s no way Dabo isn’t going to bama based on Tnet. I just wonder if Dabo knows he’s going yet?

May 2, 2018, 5:36 PM

I don't know man...When you insert "I am not a coot"...we are a paranoid group...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m not kidding guys my close friend who works for

May 3, 2018, 12:38 AM

Dabo mentioned last night, mind you we had a few beers, Dabo’s dream job is actually is Troy in Alabama. He wants to build it from the ground up. You heard about it here first!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The rule is

May 3, 2018, 7:46 AM

If you have to say you are not a coot then you are 100% a coot

The rule is

May 3, 2018, 7:46 AM

If you have to say you are not a coot then you are 100% a coot

May 3, 2018, 8:49 AM

He’s in God’s country. Let the Bama homers and coots hope and pray all they want. He’s not going anywhere.

May 3, 2018, 12:04 PM

I think Dabo would stay at Clemson if offered the Bama job, but anyone who thinks it would be an easy decision for Dabo is fooling themselves IMO. Dabo obviously loves Clemson, but he also still obviously loves Alabama, and I can only imagine that being the head coach there was a dream of his at some point at least, even if it no longer is.

Think about it this way. You're a huge Clemson fan, and let's say you got into coaching, and got hired as an assistant at another school. Say that school eventually made you their head coach, and you went on to have the success Dabo's had here. I'm sure you'd love that school as well, but you'd always love Clemson as well wouldn't you? Then say the day comes where Clemson calls you up and offers you the job as their head coach. Don't you think you'd at least be torn up over the decision?

Also, I've seen a lot of people saying Dabo wouldn't want to be the guy who follows Nick Saban at Bama. Does anyone seriously think Dabo would be too scared to step into that situation? The man bleeds confidence in himself, his coaches, and his process. If he turned down the job, it'd be because he loves Clemson too much to leave, not because he's afraid of not doing well enough in following after Saban.

you know what they say...

May 3, 2018, 12:07 PM

if you have to say you're not a coot, then you must be a coot

so, thanks coot.

next topic.....

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic