Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To the rest of the world,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

To the rest of the world,

Apr 5, 2013, 9:25 AM

"Carolina" = UNC. And "USC" = Southern California.

Before I wised up and went to Clemson, I was raised a S. Carolina fan. Whenever I said anything about "Carolina" to anyone outside of this state, they thought I was referring to UNC.

I also went to law school at S. Carolina (necessary evil). Whenever I tell people from outside this state that I went to "USC Law," they ask me how I enjoyed living in California for 3 years...

To Spurrier and all S. Carolina fans: this is just the way it is. Get over it & stop pretending that it's not.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's an utterly stupid thing to argue about.

Apr 5, 2013, 9:30 AM

I say "USC" when the context suggests that I would be talking about the University of South Carolina, and "South Carolina" when it doesn't. I don't understand why it matters.

It matters because....

Apr 5, 2013, 9:37 AM

the little identity crisis is a matter of contention that strikes a nerve with $CU fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I don't know why it would strike a nerve...

Apr 5, 2013, 9:38 AM

Is pride in a university you like based on what abbreviations people use for it? Not for me.

It matters if that's all you've got.***

Apr 5, 2013, 9:39 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess...just don't understand that myself.

Apr 5, 2013, 9:41 AM

Apparently I'm in the minority, at least among people who use the internet. It's not something I hear people fighting about in real life.

Here's a real-life fight

Apr 5, 2013, 9:46 AM

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan/21/local/la-me-usc-logo21-2010jan21

"goofy little chicken" lol

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

That's a little different...

Apr 5, 2013, 9:49 AM

In that both sides had/have a financial stake in it. That's not the same as two fans arguing about which "USC" is "real". That's just childish to me.

Re: USC fans do argue about. It is the stupid coots in

Apr 5, 2013, 9:52 AM

Columbia with their ####### coach who keep bringing it up.

That applies to coaches, too.

Apr 5, 2013, 9:52 AM [ in reply to That's a little different... ]

Childish behavior by both Dabo and Spurrier.

Somebody told me they thought most of that was staged

Apr 5, 2013, 9:58 AM

to generate more interest in the rivalry I guess. Kind of like professional wrestling...without the tights of course.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Maybe so.***

Apr 5, 2013, 10:00 AM

And I'm totally in favor of that! I think it's fun.***

Apr 5, 2013, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Somebody told me they thought most of that was staged ]

Re: Somebody told me they thought most of that was staged

Apr 5, 2013, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Somebody told me they thought most of that was staged ]

Please, we have already saw spurrier in shorts and no shirt. Gross!!! Don't make us have to envision him in tights. Sickening!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it only matters to the same extent that any rivalry-based

Apr 5, 2013, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Here's a real-life fight ]

"fight" matters. It represents the fact that S. Carolina has historically been irrelevant & has rarely accomplished anything of national recognition. Thus, it is ammunition in that continuous battle of "talking trash." I'm not equating this with anything of any serious import, but for the sake of having fun with the rivalry, it matters.

Yeah, I'm not much for that "rivalry" stuff in general.***

Apr 5, 2013, 9:55 AM

Then I see why it doesn't matter to you. For the record,

Apr 5, 2013, 10:04 AM

it isn't something that I get upset about or anything. I just think it is funny that Spurrier makes a comment that implies "only Dabo recognize 'Carolina' as generally representing UNC" when it is the rest of the world that does this.

I doubt Spurrier has any delusions about S. Carolina's

Apr 5, 2013, 10:07 AM

Stature nationally. He's been on the other side of that coin.

I think he just takes every opportunity to make fun of things Dabo says. He's still hung up on the infamous "rant" and is trying to draw attention to it. By doing so, he believes he's making Dabo look bad, especially since he followed up that "rant" by being beat down by Spurrier on the field again.

See Gamecock fans' response to it...they're not saying

Apr 5, 2013, 10:09 AM

"Spurrier is making sure everyone knows that we are the real Carolina!"

They're saying "Haha Spurrier is owning Dabo again!"

if that's what he thinks, he's wrong. S. Carolina fans seem

Apr 5, 2013, 10:11 AM [ in reply to I doubt Spurrier has any delusions about S. Carolina's ]

to think that the rest of the country dislikes Dabo. That's not my impression at all. I think he is one of the most well-liked coaches out there for a number of reasons. People follow sports for entertainment, and Dabo is entertaining. He does have that hyped-up, "pro-wrestler" style about him, but I don't think most people see that as a negative.

I dunno about that. I would think someone separated

Apr 5, 2013, 10:12 AM

From the rivalry would have a hard time disliking Dabo, unless you're the type who doesn't like the "rah-rah" style.

One of my closest friends....

Apr 5, 2013, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Yeah, I'm not much for that "rivalry" stuff in general.*** ]

who was born and raised in South Carolina is the same way. While he generally pulls for Clemson, at the end of the day, he doesn't really care one way or the other and is pretty much indifferent to the whole rivalry thing. One of the only people I know who was born and raised in the state who falls in to that category.

Prodigal is all wadded up lol***

Apr 5, 2013, 10:42 AM [ in reply to I don't know why it would strike a nerve... ]

enough for you to respond; wrong do jo...

Apr 5, 2013, 10:11 AM [ in reply to I think it's an utterly stupid thing to argue about. ]

coot?

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It matters because you could simplify things by just using

Apr 5, 2013, 10:39 AM [ in reply to I think it's an utterly stupid thing to argue about. ]

SCar like ESPN and the rest do...lol

or "Carolina South" like the CWS did a few years ago***

Apr 5, 2013, 10:53 AM

Re: To the rest of the world,

Apr 5, 2013, 9:33 AM

sorry, there is NO justification for another lawyer. regardless of school.

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To the rest of the world,

Apr 5, 2013, 9:39 AM

My mother taught me "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!" So, I mention that school in Columbia very infrequently.

My license plate is H8USC with the Clemson paw on it...

Apr 5, 2013, 10:00 AM

I don't think people are confused that I'm hating on Southern California.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

go bruins!***

Apr 5, 2013, 10:14 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You should change it to LuvSokr with a satchel on it***

Apr 5, 2013, 10:44 AM [ in reply to My license plate is H8USC with the Clemson paw on it... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I would agree...the UNC brand

Apr 5, 2013, 10:20 AM

has made them the "Carolina" everyone thinks about outside of SC. Maybe it's the Tarheels basketball history I don't know.

The "Carolina" brand is the Tarheels, sorry Coots.

No one outside of the state of SC says Carolina and thinks of the Gamecocks.

I don't know if I've ever even used the term "Carolina"

Apr 5, 2013, 10:22 AM

When referring to S. Carolina. Don't know why...just never occurs to me to say it.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic