Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN is constantly evolving
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

ESPN is constantly evolving

Oct 20, 2015, 12:34 PM

and getting braver about it. They all have a one loss Alabama team in their top 4. This will ensure that the winner of the Alabama LSU game will be in the playoff regardless. A one loss Alabama MAY be deserving the way they are playing now, but that's too bad because they LOST, AT HOME to an ole miss team that was overrated to begin with. Interesting how that plays out. Early polls have a huge influence for the rest of the season. Every SEC team that loses (fla this week) is immediately given a pass and a scenario on how they could still get in. I think if we win out, we are in, but that doesn't change the fact of this HUGE bias dictating the playoff. Lazy coaches just vote for who they voted for the week before. They don't have time for that stuff. Despite what we think, ESPN has wedged their agenda into the greatest sport in the world.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will be shocked if a 1 loss SEC team gets in over any

Oct 20, 2015, 12:37 PM

undefeated team from a power 5 conference. Regardless of the ESPiN.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

By xanax early to avoid the rush.

Oct 20, 2015, 12:42 PM

Cause there's no way the SEC conference champ is left out of it's own playoff system.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I doubt the opportunity presents itself, but there's no way

Oct 20, 2015, 12:48 PM

the committee allows in a 1 loss team from any conference if there are 4 unbeaten teams from the other 4 conferences. Do I think Bama is better than Utah? Probably, but I still don't see them getting in over a undefeated conference champion. Again, who knows how this plays out, but if for some reason we end up with an undefeated champ from the Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12, and ACC there's no way a 1 loss SEC champ gets in.

Re: I doubt the opportunity presents itself, but there's no way

Oct 20, 2015, 12:50 PM

ESPiN talkers have already put Bama in the top four. Remember:

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=18071616

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, fortunately they are not the committee.***

Oct 20, 2015, 12:52 PM

depends on which teams are undefeated and

Oct 20, 2015, 3:31 PM [ in reply to I doubt the opportunity presents itself, but there's no way ]

which teams have one or two losses.

Re: I will be shocked if a 1 loss SEC team gets in over any

Oct 20, 2015, 12:55 PM [ in reply to I will be shocked if a 1 loss SEC team gets in over any ]

Prepare for shock.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, it could very well be that the undefeateds get in

Oct 20, 2015, 4:40 PM [ in reply to I will be shocked if a 1 loss SEC team gets in over any ]

in spite of ESPN. Hopefully, the committee won't buy into the ESPiN bull.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: ESPN is constantly evolving

Oct 20, 2015, 12:40 PM

You are overlooking one key fact. The only opinions that count are those of the 13 committee members, and NONE of them work for or are beholding to ESPN.

Message was edited by: gatigerbc®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you talking about the committee that...

Oct 20, 2015, 12:46 PM

they selected, approved and trained to make the pick? Surely you're not talking about the members who sat in on ESPiN's mock selection session last year or the newbie who sat in on their mock selection process this season.

Can you believe they reveal this type information on their programs?

Re: Are you talking about the committee that...

Oct 20, 2015, 12:49 PM

Do you honest think I made that information up?

Oct 20, 2015, 12:54 PM

You are a victim of believing there's a statistical way to determine which teams are better than others without them playing one another. That's the same delusion that leads you to conclude that one conference can be compared to another and thereby determine which conference is the better of the two. You also extrapolate that exercise to claims that there's a hard process to rate five different conference. You watch a lot of ESPiN too, I see.

And I'm wearing the tin foil hat? :)

You think I like statistical ratings because

Oct 20, 2015, 1:02 PM

I think they actually tell which teams are better? You couldn't possibly be more wrong. They are purely for fun.

You take my ratings 1,000 more seriously than I do, apparently.

And I don't think you made it up...

Oct 20, 2015, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Do you honest think I made that information up? ]

I think you are following after someone else who did make it up, though.

You would be in error on that particular information.

Oct 20, 2015, 1:29 PM

ESPiN held a mock session on selecting playoff teams last year before the committee's first meeting. ESPiN has held at least one this year and POC member(s) attended. Those were revealed by ESPiN on their network, either ESPiN, ESPiN2 or ESPiNU, I don't remember. I did not make that up. I have read it no where except when I attempt to spell check my own post.

You take it for what it's worth but if they weren't exercising a training program why would the committee members attend? Why would ESPiN do it without broadcasting the meeting.

The first POC poll reflected almost exactly that which ESPiN projected last year. If it repeats this year will you consider considering that I'm right about the relationship of the two?

No, the part about ESPN choosing the committee

Oct 20, 2015, 1:42 PM

is made up.

I would say extrapolated.

Oct 20, 2015, 3:50 PM

Yes, I have no evidence to support that. ESPiN talkers just haven't let that slip yet as they did the other information I've given on the subject. I didn't make those up, I witnessed them telling it.

POC had nothing to do with that mock draft

Oct 20, 2015, 2:01 PM [ in reply to You would be in error on that particular information. ]

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/92701/hadens-stand-in-mocks-college-football-playoff-selection

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13833871/mock-college-football-playoff-exercise-shows-importance-strength-scheduleIt was 13 ESPN employees.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/100530/mock-playoff-selection-provides-lessons

There were only espn employees present. They have done several of these mock playoff selection just to see how previous years would have played out. Never have they done a mock playoff for the current season, nor have actual POC members been present. The only time the real POC did a mock was for the 2008 season. This was the mock playoff selection that was held before the real ones came out for the first time last year. So I must be missing something or you're just making stuff up again. Which is it? Find me a link where the POC attended along with ESPN employees.

Re: POC had nothing to do with that mock playoff selection

Oct 20, 2015, 2:04 PM

I don't know why I typed draft

It's an honest mistake.

Oct 20, 2015, 3:28 PM

I heard Jason Sehorn say something about member(s) being present at the last mock session they held. That session was held within the last week and he reported that information since that meeting. I did not make that up. I also remember them saying that some or all of the POC members were there when they held the first mock session. That was last year. I am not making this up either.

I think there are people here that will tell you that I was as naive and passionate as anyone about this POC being upright, independent and complete disassociated from ESPiN and both polls last year. They will remember me supporting this system from your side just as I am criticizing it now.

I actually apologized to TTT for contradicting her when she questioned my position on this issue. When the first POC poll came out she confronted me and asked if I'd changed my position. I swore it would be a better system than the BCS because we would not see the influence of ESPiN on the selection and seeding of the Playoff. I was as wrong then as you are now, sir.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

Re: It's an honest mistake.

Oct 20, 2015, 3:38 PM

You "heard Jason Sehorn say something about..." and you also "remember them(??) saying".

I gotta say, I'm not quite convinced. (Not that I even think it is a big deal who has "mock sessions" and who attends)

ESPN Does Not Select the Committee

Oct 20, 2015, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Are you talking about the committee that... ]

The composition of the Playoff Selection Committee is determined by the Board of Managers (University Presidents) and the Management Committee (10 Conference Commissioners and Notre Dame).

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/governance

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

OOPS, I missed one.***

Oct 20, 2015, 12:55 PM

Is that the same group that signs with ESPiN for the TV contracts?

Not Everybody Is Locked to ESPN

Oct 20, 2015, 12:58 PM

NBC, CBS, Fox Sports, Big 10 Network, Pac-10 Network.... there's several other networks that have contracts with these conferences.

ESPN outbid the others to broadcast the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2015, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN is constantly evolving ]

They do, however, get pounded with the hype all year long. It probably does impact their thoughts and opinions some, even though we hope it doesn't. It certainly impacts the early polls, and there is hardly any way those aren't noticed and taken into account when vewing, at least initially. I hope it doesn't sway an objective view, but it has to have an impacy on their perceptions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2015, 7:12 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN is constantly evolving ]

> You are overlooking one key fact. The only opinions
> that count are those of the 13 committee members, and
> NONE of them work for or are beholding to ESPN.
>
>
> Message was edited by: gatigerbc®

Not so fast there chief.

Quoted from the College Football Playoff Committee website FAQ:

"What is the arrangement between the College Football Playoff and ESPN?

In 2012, it was announced that ESPN acquired the rights to broadcast all College Football Playoff games, as well as selected other games, through 2025."

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/frequently-asked-questions

ESPN is ubiquitous now. They are worse than the iphone's and handguns.

It's a good thing that they don't get a vote on the top 4.

Oct 20, 2015, 12:40 PM

The playoff committee isn't as crazy as espn.

Oct 20, 2015, 12:44 PM

> They all have a one loss Alabama team in their top 4.

Not Danny Kanell:
1. Ohio St 2. Baylor 3. Clemson 4. LSU

Not Joey Galloway:
1. Ohio St. 2. LSU 3. Baylor 4. Clemson

Even Paul Finebaum has Clemson is his top 4.

really hate the "Best team" rhetoric that is used

Oct 20, 2015, 12:48 PM

every year to include Alabama no matter how many losses they have

To anyone would be "shocked"...

Oct 20, 2015, 12:58 PM

....the committee didn't have a problem of justifying dropping an undefeated team to #3. I know FSU was not playing like the #1 team and probably deserved their position (if not even being left out in favor of TCU or Baylor), but the committee does not just look at W-L which means eventually bias will play into the selections.

Was FSU not in the playoffs?***

Oct 20, 2015, 1:02 PM

Re: Was FSU not in the playoffs?***

Oct 20, 2015, 1:10 PM

The same people freaking out about this were the same ones freaking out when we were 8-0 in 2000, wondering if the BCS would screw us over. It's October. There are SIX, potentially SEVEN games left before the bowls. We're in the midst of greatness, and potentially sustained national greatness. Can't you just enjoy it?

Sure I can. ??***

Oct 20, 2015, 2:23 PM

I think they would do it if a team with one loss

Oct 20, 2015, 1:05 PM [ in reply to To anyone would be "shocked"... ]

deserved to get in over an undefeated team. I don't think that will end up being the case this year.

#3 = still in the playoffs. Jesus H. Christ people,

Oct 20, 2015, 1:31 PM [ in reply to To anyone would be "shocked"... ]

when are you going to get it through your heads that if Clemson is undefeated then we are in?! The stupidity in this board is amazing.

I remember them saying geography would play a role in...

Oct 20, 2015, 3:36 PM [ in reply to To anyone would be "shocked"... ]

seeding the teams. FSU ended up being sent 2300 miles to play and Bama was put closest to home. An undefeated FSU's fans traveled almost two thousand miles more to see their team play than Bama's one loss fans.

ESPiN always has and always will promote its own....

Oct 20, 2015, 1:17 PM

self-serving agenda and this should come as a surprise to absolutely no one. They will use their influence with the voters to manipulate the polls in whatever manner suits their needs and wants best at the time hence the one loss rhetoric.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

If you think the SEC network is...

Oct 20, 2015, 1:32 PM

one of ESPiN's bad investments and having the SEC dominate the polls might help ESPiN's bottom line you are about to be accused of wearing a tin foil hat, sir.

Can you believe the naivety of some of these guys?

Exactly.....

Oct 20, 2015, 1:49 PM

which is why ESPiN pimps the league like a $5.00 prostitute on a Friday night at the first of the month.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: If you think the SEC network is...

Oct 20, 2015, 1:49 PM [ in reply to If you think the SEC network is... ]

I think if Bama wins out, they should be in.They lost 1 turnover infested game to a top 10
team at the time. They are currently destroying teams away from home,If they win out, that means they will have 2 more wins vs top 10 teams(LSU,and perhaps Florida) and another top 25 win over Tennessee, not to mention a road win over Miss State and another win over Auburn...All this will happen over the next 6 weeks,pretty impressive.I dislike the SEC as much as the next guy, but you know deep down we all are hoping this team don't get in as i believe they would slice anyone in the top 5 now..Clemson would probaly be Bama's best matchup

And that's the consolation prize if they do...***

Oct 20, 2015, 1:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Top 10" Ole Miss, who got torched by Memphis?

Oct 20, 2015, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: If you think the SEC network is... ]

"Top 25" Tennessee who chokes on their own vomit repeatedly? Neither of those teams would be ranked if they didn't have SEC stickers on their helmets.

LOL @ Miss St. and Auburn. They're Louisville and Duke with SEC bias thrown in.

Bama lost to an overrated Ole Miss team at HOME. As long as there are four undefeated P5 teams, they should be on the outside looking in. No conference is so much better than the others that a loss doesn't matter.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Top 10" Ole Miss, who got torched by Memphis?

Oct 20, 2015, 5:29 PM

I just think blowout road wins with over 100,000 fans in the seats is pretty impressive,so don't be surprised to see Bama in if they win out. Bama looks good in all 3 phases of the game right now, with that said i hope they lose saturday

They shouldn't have gotten sliced at home then.

Oct 20, 2015, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: If you think the SEC network is... ]

They are definitely still a contender but I still contend that it would be hard to justify if there are four unbeatens (highly unlikely I might add).

I think there are three teams that can take Bama's...

Oct 20, 2015, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Re: If you think the SEC network is... ]

lunch money. Us, OSU and Baylor. You say OSU and Baylor haven't played anyone? I say Bama lost to Old Miss. You say Bama had five turnovers and therefor that loss isn't a bad loss. I say you're not a Clemson fan if you apply that same logic to ND's four turnovers in the second half.

See? One of us would fit right in on an ESPiN expert's show.

Oct 20, 2015, 1:44 PM

I'm waiting on someone to get fired from ESPN and come forth and publicly tell us what we already know. They are told to pump the sec so influence the media.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2015, 1:54 PM

> I'm waiting on someone to get fired from ESPN and
> come forth and publicly tell us what we already know.
> They are told to pump the sec so influence the media.

Cowherd just did get fired, and did nothing of the sort. He and his peers want Florida, Bama, Georgia, Texas, USC, Notre Dame and Michigan to be good for reasons that are obvious to everyone except the conspiracy theorists

Oct 20, 2015, 2:08 PM

he has an agreement to stay quiet or he doesn't get his severance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it's just about Bama, Florida, and Georgia

Oct 20, 2015, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN is constantly evolving ]

then why do the Mississippi teams get hype every year as they steamroll their weak ### OOC schedule?

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If it's just about Bama, Florida, and Georgia

Oct 20, 2015, 2:35 PM

> then why do the Mississippi teams get hype every year
> as they steamroll their weak ### OOC schedule?

How much have you heard about Ole Miss since they crapped the bed? They were a story to begin the year with CK, RN, threat to the SECW establishment., etc. Now they're not a story so the network moved on. That's how it goes.

Oct 20, 2015, 2:52 PM

ESPiN doesn't decide who is in or who is out of the CFB 4 team playoff .
Your argument is invalid.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

^^^^gets it^^^^

Oct 20, 2015, 3:29 PM

If Paul Finebaum's callers picked the playoff teams then yes you have a point, but these eggheads and bureaucrats that decide are pretty insulated.

You think the committee doesn't watch ESPN all year?***

Oct 20, 2015, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN is constantly evolving ]

Clemson

Of course not.

Oct 20, 2015, 3:47 PM

Why would they trust the people who have the contract to publish POC polls and announce the selection? Why would they watch a show which reveals every single bit of information on their behalf?

askinforamoron

Oct 20, 2015, 5:41 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN is constantly evolving ]

Other than watching every minute of every game, where will the committee get their info from if not ESPN? Also, if you don't think the polls (which are HEAVILY influenced by ESPN) are not used in the process, then you don't understand. My point wasn't about Clemson either, but the larger picture.

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic