Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To all the cord-cutters and streamers out there I have a
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

To all the cord-cutters and streamers out there I have a

Dec 21, 2017, 12:07 PM

question for you: What's the best device to get streamed content to my non-wifi capable TV? Been looking at Firestick and Roku mostly I guess. Thanks in advance for the help from those of you already there!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To all the cord-cutters and streamers out there I have a

Dec 21, 2017, 12:10 PM

I love my Roku. You have to have a subscription like DirectTV or Charter but other than that the apps to watch are everywhere.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sig-1

You should get a smart tv.

Dec 21, 2017, 12:10 PM

Chrome Cast is also good, lets you stream from your phone to your tv.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with this post. Plus, I

Dec 21, 2017, 1:53 PM

stream from my iPad and laptop.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

you should not

Dec 21, 2017, 4:51 PM [ in reply to You should get a smart tv. ]

TV manuf's won't be able to deliver the amount and quality of apps that a roku (or other) can, nor will they update them...plus, when it comes time to upgrade for whatever reason, it's a lot cheaper to replace a +/- $50 box than a perfectly good $500 TV

that is, unless you get a TV w/ Chromecast built-in...can't go wrong there, unless you want to use Google Home to turn it on. Apparently, you need the actual device to do that. Prob has to do with the power being off to the TV or something

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2017, 12:11 PM

I've used both and both of them worked fine with sling.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Have Roku. 5 actually. Works fine.

Dec 21, 2022, 10:59 AM

You can cast from your phone, plus works with home media server, plus all the streaming options.

Also have Sling and Netflix.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Roku

Dec 21, 2017, 12:31 PM

I have both. The spectrum app is the way to go. I know that's not really cutting the chord, but it's awesome.

Re: Roku

Dec 21, 2017, 12:52 PM

Roku and Chromecast suck. Get an Amazon firestick and SET TV. Comes with 3 codes, ones for a phone, and literally every channel. In HD. NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA, MLB, tickets, HBO, Show times All that crap. Local channels too. 20 bucks per month is it. All you need is internet.

Before you say Chromecast and Roku don't suck, I've tried both and my recommendation. Have you?

If there is something better, I'm all ears.

Dec 21, 2017, 12:56 PM

Dec 21, 2017, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Roku ]

I've never heard of the SET app. I know Sling sucks, though.

Wow, that is nice. The only thing that I see that

Dec 21, 2017, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Roku ]

could be a drawback is their set top box doesn't have 4k.

Not that there is a ton of content in 4k/HDR and I only have 1 TV capable of 4k anyway.

Regardless, the look and feel of providing cable like experience would sway me to SET TV.

I'm on Roku and like it, but do wish I could watch TV and surf channels like cable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow, that is nice. The only thing that I see that

Dec 21, 2017, 1:41 PM

And according to their website they don't support iOS yet, so any iPhone/iPad users are left out to dry unless they're at home.

Also, the codes are for 3 devices only, so you could have a tablet, phone, and one TV.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As far as the number of devices

Dec 21, 2017, 2:05 PM

are concerned, you could get another account to bump up to 6 simultaneous streams.

The pricing would be in-line with other streaming tv services.

I just read that you can only access the service from the same IP/Internet for all 3 devices. So, no streaming when away from home (without doing some extra work).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As far as the number of devices

Dec 21, 2017, 3:34 PM

No. You can have one code (mobile device) for different IPs. I had my mom and dad on one code and my home tv and my phone, and they had to reset it. There's only one code allowed to have multiple IPs, and that's the mobile code. Trust me, I've had 5 different antennas, Sling, Playstastion Vue, Kodi Tv, etc. Nothing comes close to SET with the firestick.

But, if I can't do more than 3 devices and 1 of those

Dec 21, 2017, 5:22 PM

has to be mobile, then I will probably keep my Roku + Hulu setup.

If I can do more than 3, how can I satisfy this setup?

- 6 TV's
- Up to 4 streams simultaneously
- Dedicated hardware on all tv's (don't want to move anything between tv's)

Following!

Dec 22, 2017, 5:07 PM

It's time to reneg with DTV or cut it again. A lot has changed in two years.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow, that is nice. The only thing that I see that

Dec 22, 2017, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Wow, that is nice. The only thing that I see that ]

You can with the spectrum app

I've tried them all

Dec 21, 2017, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Roku ]

Roku wins....for me at least, and that's after Roku 2XS, (2) Roku 3's, Roku Premier+, (2) Roku Ultras....Chromecast, Google Nexus Player, (2) first gen FireTV Sticks, and 2nd Gen FireTV Stick

I don't use Kodi, but i can see the allure there, and obviously Roku doesn't do that. That's the ONLY reason I still tolerate the FireTV (granted, if I had Amazon Prime, this'd prob be different)

Fyi.. spectrum app won't work on firestick.

Dec 21, 2017, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Roku ]

If he had charter, but it seems like he wants to get away from cable and satellite.

Also, the spectrum app sucks on the phone. Many channels require wifi.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I have both. . Roku seems to be more user friendly.***

Dec 21, 2017, 12:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I have both. . Roku seems to be more user friendly.***

Dec 21, 2017, 12:59 PM

Dec 21, 2017, 1:02 PM

I have had several Roku, very happy with them. I prefer a wired connection with them.. but I have a digital antenna for local channels and slingtv for access to ESPN/FoxSports. Saving quite a bit and having no issue with the services.

I have 3 Rokus (2 wireless sticks & 1 wired)

Dec 21, 2017, 1:50 PM

The wired Roku is 4K capable, the others just do 1080p. We are very happy with them.

The quality of some of the apps (SlingTV in particular) varies widely depending on the Internet quality. The wired Roku usually does better than the 2 wireless ones. We stick to Netflix/Hulu on those since those apps are better able to buffer up in case of a brief WiFi drop-out.

You might have to buy a new router, or play with the QoS (Quality of service) settings for SlingTV to work right. I had a router from 2009 and SlingTV would drop out if I was downloading files until I replaced the router.

Have been using SlingTV on Roku for 2 years and will never go back to cable barring this net neutrality thing allowing my ISP (Time Warner/Spectrum) deciding to throttle SlingTV to the point of being unwatchable, which is now evidently going to be allowed.

Thanks for the input tnetters. This week I upgraded from dsl

Dec 21, 2017, 4:22 PM

at 2mbps (best I could get - AT&T called to upgrade me to digital but realized I was in the group that would have SLOWER speeds after the upgrade...) to cable internet at an average of 925mbps or so to the hard-connected computer. More like 250 over wifi it seems at the moment. New fiber in the neighborhood and fiber all the way to the modem.

Looking to kill directv and move toward streaming, starting with being able to conveniently stream stuff from my wife's amazon prime video. Already have antenna for local stuff. Y'alls input gets me pointed in a direction for more research. Had been leaning towards Roku and Sling, but now will be looking at others. Thanks again!

dave satthews land?***

Dec 21, 2017, 4:44 PM

Dec 21, 2017, 4:27 PM

Get a Firestick and get SetTv or Sportsaccess....never missed a game in any sport in 4 years. Cut the cord dude...quick paying for that sh*t.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

i've got appletv running my world

Dec 21, 2017, 4:43 PM

no complaints

can airplay anything from phone, pad, and minimac

i'm sure all of these devices are about the same for netflix and chill.

Dec 21, 2017, 4:46 PM

AppleTV: Netflix, Amazon Video, HBO, ESPN, FX
FireStick: Kodi
Antenna: WSPA WYFF FOX21

You related to Lakebum?

Dec 21, 2017, 4:47 PM

juss curious...

BTW: Roku would be my choice

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Might be a neighbor..........***

Dec 21, 2017, 5:32 PM

I prefer

Dec 21, 2017, 5:15 PM

Directv. The ultimate package and a couple add on channels. $40 a month.

Firestick sucks.***

Dec 21, 2017, 5:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have AirTV works specifically for Sling

Dec 22, 2017, 2:40 PM

and only for Sling. If I did it again I would get Roku because it does all the major providers of streaming services.

Re: I have AirTV works specifically for Sling

Dec 25, 2017, 10:18 AM

This is one of those questions that is funny to me. Everyone is going to just say whatever they have.

Unless you're happy with just Hulu, Set TV is not even close to anything mentioned. The only downside is that you'll need hardware for each tv unless you move the firestick. Forget some channels. SET TV has EVERY Channel. Even has PPV for free. It's in HD too. I'd encourage everyone to check it out at least. I don't get paid or anything, it's just literally so much better than everything else, I'd want someone to tell me. I wasted a lot of time and money and effort with sling, PlayStation Vue, Chromecast, apple tv, antennas, spectrum app, you name it. When my friend showed me set I couldn't believe it

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic