Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Beware of the world we live in
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Beware of the world we live in

Jul 4, 2017, 7:31 PM

http://www.thewrap.com/redditor-trump-vs-cnn-meme-apologizes/

Guy makes a silly video. Trump posts it. Life ruined.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HanAsshol3Solo will be fine

Jul 4, 2017, 8:12 PM

Trumpers aren't snowflakes. He/she will be ok. I think Fox News is going to make an offer for a new host position.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Life ruined lol.***

Jul 4, 2017, 11:01 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

File this one under "things that are definitely true."

Jul 4, 2017, 11:38 PM

"One of my best friends is a homosexual and one of my best friends is Jewish and one of my best friends is Muslim."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politics/kfile-reddit-user-trump-tweet/index.html

Throw a party. Invite all your friends over.

Jul 5, 2017, 8:24 AM

Who needs fireworks on the 4th?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How valiant of them. I'm glad they approved.

Jul 5, 2017, 11:38 AM [ in reply to File this one under "things that are definitely true." ]

They might have really gotten mad had he not done all that.

CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.

HanAssholeSolo is no snowflake. He's proud of his dank meme.

Jul 5, 2017, 11:47 AM

Doesn't he want to take personal responsibility for his actions?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does personal responsibility really mean being outed

Jul 5, 2017, 3:09 PM

on a national news channel?

Does the punishment really fit the crime? And why does CNN get to decide that whatever they do, its Ok because someone made a gif that people laughed at?

Re: Does personal responsibility really mean being outed

Jul 5, 2017, 3:26 PM

What punishment and what crime?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was an analogy of sorts, I guess.Probably not a good one.

Jul 5, 2017, 7:20 PM

There's no 'crime', and his 'punishment' (could be) getting outed to everyone by a national (and international?) cable news network.

Was the simple act of creating a gif meant as a joke really deserve the negative attention (or worse) that would bring?

Re: It was an analogy of sorts, I guess.Probably not a good one.

Jul 6, 2017, 9:25 AM

I think it was the bigoted remarks that made him more notorious.

Its a good thing noone else ever say that kinda stuff

Jul 6, 2017, 3:29 PM

online.

Lord help 8chan.

The stage really shouldn't matter

Jul 7, 2017, 12:14 AM [ in reply to Does personal responsibility really mean being outed ]

I would never want to make grossly immoral statements on any stage, private or global.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Beware of the world we live in

Jul 5, 2017, 8:27 AM

do you speak russian?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most under-rated post of the day!***

Jul 5, 2017, 9:20 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am willing to learn*****

Jul 5, 2017, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Beware of the world we live in ]

Jul 5, 2017, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Beware of the world we live in ]

No, but by god I can learn! ;)

Poor HanAssholeSolo :( :( :(***

Jul 5, 2017, 8:47 AM

More, as if you didn't know what was going on.

Jul 5, 2017, 10:35 AM

More....

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/04/extremely-unethical-cnn-draws-backlash-after-threatening-to-id-reddit-user-behind-trumps-wwe-video/

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/07/05/cnn_new_day_cnn_promised_not_to_identify_pro-trump_reddit_user_if_he_apologized_a_nice_thing.html

https://www.circa.com/story/2017/07/05/politics/cnnblackmail-network-threatens-to-identify-hanassholesolo

So a guy makes a literally silly gif of Donald Trump bashing CNN. Trump tweets it. So CNN then goes out, identifies the guy, finds other posts, lets the world know he's a racist, bigot, anti-semite (he's probably just a troll), and then threatens to reveal his name if he doesn't issue an apology.

I wouldn't care if it was a gif of Obama bashing Fox News, and the guy was a communist. This is very wrong and a sign of the freedom we once knew evaporating. If you're a liberal or a conservative and are comfortable with what's happening, like the Mozilla guy getting fired, or the NBA guy losing his team, or Paula Deen losing her cooking show, or what just happened to this guy, if that doesn't bother you and if you value your politics at the cost of freedom, then we're doomed.

I stopped watching cable news long ago. CNN, MSNBC, and even Fox News. All I want to know is what happened today. That's all that most people care about. Beyond that they go about their lives. This is not the America I grew up in. This is not the America our founders envisioned. Freedom comes at a cost. And it's not just in the lives of soldiers. It also costs the level comfort abusive power can provide. The cost of freedom is having to be offended. The snowflakes coming along today who need safe spaces where they can not be offended, and are willing to sacrifice ultimately their own freedom to avoid being offended, these are the people and the movements that topple democracies. A country as diverse as ours can not survive without freedom and our freedom can not survive if we function as a federal democracy instead of a democratic republic. When freedom dies and tyranny creeps in, it can go either way. Liberals and conservatives would be smart to remember this. If you are capable of taking the politics out of everything, what you're left with is a power problem and consequently a freedom problem.

Politics are so polarized now, and so important now, precisely because they have become FAR more important than they should. Who is elected to be President, or who is elected to Congress, or the Supreme Court, is functionally more important in our lives today than ever. Food, shelter, clothing, education, medical care, retirement income, it's all controlled more than ever by the federal government now. That makes whoever is leading the federal government far more important than our founders envisioned. Every person who falls into a social safety net, whether food stamps, student loan debt, social security, medicare, medicaid, whatever, for each person who becomes ensnared in that "assistance", a little more freedom is lost and a little more power goes to politicians in Washington. Democrats and liberals know this and that's why power has always leaned left. Conservatives (notsomuch Republicans nowadays) know that power rests in people, and the people should know that they are responsible for themselves. When the people depend on their government, they will lose their freedom. Plain and simple. And the more they depend on government, the more power government has, the more important it becomes, and the more fractured we become as a diverse nation.

Everything that made America unique and exceptional at our founding, can be traced to the Democratic Republicans, and not the Federalists. Our Bill of Rights came from the Democratic Republicans, and that was made possible by the ultimate inclusion of the 10th Amendment, to ensure we functioned as a republic as much as possible. Historically, our political divisions were less "political" and more functional. Power was THE issue. Where should it rest, who should have it, who shouldn't, and to what extent it could be used. For the first 50 years of our nation, power was the issue, and it was almost universally relegated to the states relative to today, per the 10th Amendment. The Civil War changed all of that. The issue of power was clouded by the issue of slavery. Slavery was perhaps the first time really where a moral issue trumped the simple management of power and control. To "fix" the problem of the Civil War, we got the 13th Amendment outlawing slavery. A moral issue was remedied among ALL the states by Washington. And rightfully so. BUT, that was not enough. What would be the next moral issue to divide the nation? Surely they will come again and again. So we got the 14th Amendment and the Equal Protection clause, basically eviscerating state power to prevent further conflicts. The idea was to take the outlawing of slavery a step further by making all states have equal application of the law. Again, this was passed by Congress with the utmost of honorable intentions. But intentions aside, that same amendment also has opened Pandora's box by essentially nullifying the 10th Amendment.

For the longest time, we limited the enforcement of the 14th Amendment to civil rights, and related issues. Killing Jim Crow laws, among other measures. But that same 14th Amendment has more recently given us gay marriage, and abortion. So when a moral issue comes up, instead of being handled by the states, the Supreme Court decides which position will be the law of the land and it is forced on all, states notwithstanding. And while the intent is not to have the republic break apart again like it did for the Civil War, the other side of that mechanism is that whenever we have an "issue", it is solved in Washington and the solution is applied to all. That makes us, functionally, a federal democracy (whenever a moral issue comes up). And the more "issues" we have, the more power Washington gets thanks to the 14th Amendment. And this is the reason you see liberals and the media clamoring constantly for "issues", and even creating them where none exist. They want a rash of racial shootings to be an excuse for federal control of law enforcement. They want gay marriage to be an issue so it can be applied to everyone whether they like it or not. They want abortion to be an issue of women's rights, so a solution can be forced on everyone. The environment was an issue so we got the EPA. Global warming was made into an issue to gain more control and doubled as an excuse for additional taxes. Over time this makes the population as a whole, VERY dissatisfied. The more solutions that are forced on 400 million people equally, the more disgruntled people get. That's why large/diverse democracies always fail. And I hope I've explained why. Maybe if someone actually reads this whole post, they may see things a little differently.

holy wall of text***

Jul 5, 2017, 10:54 AM

"The freedom we once knew evaporating"

Jul 5, 2017, 11:01 AM [ in reply to More, as if you didn't know what was going on. ]

Freedom from what? Freedom to do what exactly? Who is removing this freedom?

In fairness.........

Jul 5, 2017, 11:11 AM

CNN pretty much broke NY's coercion law with their actions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So CNN breaking the law, for which I assume

Jul 5, 2017, 11:19 AM

they can be prosecuted, means our freedoms are eroding?

I'm just trying to figure out how all of this is evidence of dwindling constitutional rights.

depends on if they get away with it or not I suppose***

Jul 5, 2017, 11:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Freedom of self governance on a state level

Jul 5, 2017, 11:35 AM [ in reply to "The freedom we once knew evaporating" ]

Freedom to speak our minds without fear of persecution. The Supreme Court, Congress, and the media are all removing freedom in their own ways. Think that covers it.

Freedom of speech and that persecution doesn't apply..

Jul 5, 2017, 11:53 AM

to corporations and individuals. It applies to the government persecuting people. There is no freedom of speech issue here.

I'm not sure why this is such a difficult distinction.***

Jul 5, 2017, 12:11 PM

Good question******

Jul 5, 2017, 12:21 PM

Re: Freedom of self governance on a state level

Jul 6, 2017, 11:34 PM [ in reply to Freedom of self governance on a state level ]

> Freedom to speak our minds without fear of
> persecution.

Right now I can't get past the irony of defending someone's right to be an a**hole.

To a liberal, everything is political.***

Jul 5, 2017, 11:36 AM [ in reply to More, as if you didn't know what was going on. ]

They should be more like you where you have no bias and..

Jul 5, 2017, 11:49 AM

rarely turn things political. I agree libertards are so stupid. They aren't smart like me and you.

CDef's recent activity

Jul 5, 2017, 12:05 PM [ in reply to To a liberal, everything is political.*** ]

http://www.tigernet.com/view/profile.do?userID=110585

Re: To a liberal, everything is political.***

Jul 5, 2017, 8:55 PM [ in reply to To a liberal, everything is political.*** ]

Says the Conservative who just made something political.

Re: More, as if you didn't know what was going on.

Jul 5, 2017, 1:46 PM [ in reply to More, as if you didn't know what was going on. ]

Read it all. Overall a pretty easy and coherent read. I am hopeful thst it isn't a simple cut and paste - otherwise my +1 was not worth it.

I agree with some of it and not with other parts. And on the surface we are doomed because I dont fault the business decisions thst were made to relieve Dean, Mozilla or Uber guy of their roles/responsibilities. Sterling is not as black and white (pun intended), but I know if I was Adam Silver I would have wanted him out as his free speech did reflect negatively on the league and the other owners.

I have a follow-up question. You state:
"The more solutions that are forced on 400 million people equally, the more disgruntled people get. That's why large/diverse democracies always fail."

What are some examples of large/diverse democracies thst have failed?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CNN sucks because they are not real news, but...

Jul 5, 2017, 1:54 PM

the troll deserved the internet death of a troll. Dude made all sorts of hateful, violent, racist remarks. He shouldn't be jailed or anything obviously, but he made an effort to troll others (not even talking about gif) and trolls need to be scared of consequences.

That said, CNN deserves blowback for obviously blackmailing the kid because he made a silly gif.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best hope noone ever gets hold of your replies on here.

Jul 5, 2017, 3:12 PM

Or for that matter, any of us.

We'll all be unemployed.

Because you know, getting someone fired is the fix for everything.

And no, AFAIK, the guy hasn't been fired from whatever it is he does. Yet.

He's a kid troll. I don't think he has a job.

Jul 5, 2017, 4:14 PM

Either way, he's made jokes about simulating the murdering of Mexicans at the border and made explicitly hateful racist comments about Jews. That's fine if someone gets fired for that.

I don't remember you or I ever doing anything like that.

And again, not defending CNN. I don't like them at all. Just saying the troll isn't a victim.

Not defending him

Jul 5, 2017, 7:17 PM

But do you think someone should get fired for what they say online (like, if this guy is old enough and has a job).

What does what he says on line have to do with his job performance?

Re: Not defending him

Jul 5, 2017, 8:44 PM

Depends on the company's policies regarding online activity. I've worked in places that don't allow its employees to speak badly about the company on Facebook/Twitter/whatever. If I had posted anything negative about the company, they would have been fully within their rights to fire me. I wouldn't be surprised if many these days have rules about hate speech online, which this guy is definitely guilty of, whether he was simply trolling or not.

Freedom of speech doesn't apply to private companies.

getting someone fired fixes everything***

Jul 6, 2017, 3:30 PM

Well if a person is violently racist and jokes about killing

Jul 7, 2017, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Not defending him ]

people based on race, then I would certainly fire that person. It's a sign of a giant character flaw.

Plus, as an actual employer, I have to protect my business. I wouldn't hire someone who was politically inflammatory online because it could drag my money into it.

Jul 6, 2017, 11:41 PM

I'm tired of people hiding behind anonymous handles and saying racist chit. That bothers me more than exposing these twerps. As a matter of fact, if you are going to say hateful things about other people, at least have the courage to put your name on it.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic