Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tips for visiting fan to Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 951

Tips for visiting fan to Clemson

Apr 29, 2016, 12:38 AM

Hey All,
My buddies and I are big college football fans, and we love traveling to new places for games. We’re working on a blog that gives tips to other football fans when they travel to away stadiums for games. I’m trying to hit all the ACC schools, and I was hoping you’d indulge me on some questions about Clemson football games. Basically, what I am asking is that if you and I met randomly on an airplane and I told you all about my trip to Clemson for a football game, you wouldn’t have to say, “You did it all wrong, next time you should …”
Since you guys are the experts on a perfect trip to Clemson, I wanted to see if you would answer a few questions. Feel free to answer any or all of them that you’d like, and if you can think of any other info I’ve overlooked feel free to throw that in there too!
TRAVEL
1. What’s the most convenient/cheapest airport to fly into? Is there a specific airline that is best/cheapest to fly on?
2. Suppose some travelers are a little more adventurous and don’t mind flying into an airport that’s a 3-4 hour drive away from the game if it would make for a cool drive or takes them by some cool sites/attractions – anything like that people should know about when they’re booking flights?
3. Is a rental car necessary? How is the public transportation system/Uber in Clemson?
HOTEL
4. What’s the hotel situation like over the weekend of a game? How good is airbnb, vrbo, etc. in Clemson? Are there any great resort towns nearby to stay at for a day?
FOOD
5. What are your favorite places to eat around Clemson during the college football season? How is the food in the stadium (anything a one-time visitor can’t leave the stadium without eating)?
TICKETS
6. What is the best option for visiting fans to buy game tickets? School Ticket office? StubHub? Local Classifieds?
TAILGATING
7. Any general tailgating advice for a first-timer at a Clemson football game? Specific areas for visiting fans?
TRADITIONS
8. Some schools have unique game day traditions – do you guys do anything that’d be worth a visitor planning their schedule around? Are there any buildings or sites near campus or the stadium that visitors should check out?
OTHER ATTRACTIONS
9. If fans decide to make this more of a family vacation, are there any local sites/attractions that they would need to make room for on their schedule? Any can’t-miss Historical/Educational or Fun/Entertainment sites?
SAFETY
10. Are there any general safety issues fans should be aware of? Any areas visitors should avoid for parking, walking, etc? I know every fan base has its share of bad apples, but would you classify your general fan base as hospitable/neutral/in-hospitable?
OTHER ACC SCHOOLS
11. Lastly, since I'm trying to do this for all the teams in the ACC, I thought I'd ask if you have any experience traveling to other schools in the conference? Favorite/Least Favorite ACC school to visit for games? Any horror or success stories or general advice you'd give from your experiences?
As mentioned, feel free to answer any/all/none of the questions, and throw on any extra info that I may have overlooked. I’ll be sure to report back when our blog is posted so that you can see the finished product!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tips for visiting fan to Clemson

Apr 29, 2016, 1:49 AM

1-2) the cheapest airport to fly into would be Atalanta, GSP may be an hour or so closer but to me the price difference usually has me flying in to ATL or CLT 3) Public transportation their is the cat bus (can get a little crazy as mostly students use it to get to bars) their is uber and cabs but I would just rent a car so you can see as much of the area as you want. 4) Clemson is still a small town, their aren't many hotels around and the ones here on game weekends are pricey. I recommend staying in Anderson, Easley, or Greenville. It's more whatever your budget will allow. I've never looked at Airbnb or such around here so I can't speak on that. 5) Smoking pig (best bbq around) Macs drive in (old Clemson hamburger staple) Todaros (pizza) Paws diner (meat and 3 and breakfast) if you go to smoking pig go early because they will run out of food on game weekends. If you want a small hole in the wall place their is a place called blacks smokehouse in Seneca and I think it's just as good if not better and it's nowhere near as busy. Stadium food is just your normal stadium food everywhere nothing you have to have. 6) tickets are usually available outside of the stadium or any of the classifieds online. Stubhub is usually much higher than the market price. 7) if you explain to people what you're doing you will have a beer and a plate of food in your hand at the first tailgate you stop at. We have a large tailgate on the front lawn of Tillman Hall, send me an email or Tmail if you're interested in coming. We love hosting people jamesnathanielmedlin@yahoo.com 8) Tiger walk is always fun to go which is the players entering the west end zone from the parking lot to the locker rooms before the game. 10) their is nowhere on campus you would be anywhere close to being in any sort of danger 11) I and the rest of our crew went to Louisville this past year, we absolutely loved it. Touring the Louisville slugger factory, the bourbon trail, and they ran horses at Churchill downs before the game which was awesome because a lot of us had never been to horse races or gambled on them. It was a blast, the $1 helped with that as well. Be careful where you book a hotel though in Louisville because the area is a lot rougher than you would think surrounding Churchill downs. I enjoy going to FSU as well and BC just to have an excuse to go to Boston. The one place I hate is NC State, some of the worst fans you will ever come across.

I'll tell you everything you want to know if ...

Apr 29, 2016, 2:31 AM

... you promise to become the TV announcer for all Clemson football games regardless of which network is broadcasting the game.

Whoa, Nellie!

But why didn't Keith Jackson say anything when Woody Hayes

Apr 29, 2016, 4:16 AM

punched Charlie Bauman in the '78 Gator Bowl?
Not buying the "I didn't see it" crap. I was
at home watching on TV and I saw it. He was there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But why didn't Keith Jackson say anything when Woody Hayes

Apr 29, 2016, 6:33 AM

I think that was due to the fact that in those days sportscasters, coaches, etc. didn't openly speak negatively of each other.

Howard Cosell(sp?) comes to mind as one who was a bit more outspoken back in the day and you see how he was disliked and denigrated by many.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Job security...***

Apr 29, 2016, 6:35 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2016, 3:24 AM

1. Atl or clt cheaper than gsp
2. Fall is beutiful in nc mountains (2-3) hrs from Death Valley. Drive down the blue ridge pkwway. Tallulah gorge in ne ga and chattoga (1-2hrs) river are interesting as well.
3. Suggest rental for sight seeing and if flying into atl or clt. Über is good around town and could get you to Greenville (gsp) if needed.
4. Vrbo is okay. Many lake houses to rent on lake Hartwell and keowee. There are some golf resorts a little ways away from town, main 1coming to mind is king wood golf resort in Clayton ga and hickory knob state park. hotels in Anderson Seneca Clemson book fast and are overpriced. Greenville is reasonable and about 45 mins away (not including traffic). Atlanta and charlotte are about 2 hrs away and have many hotels near airports.

5. Favorite subject as eating is the only thing I'm REALLY good at ??. Smoking pig bbq is a must, ticks pizza in Pendleton is a newer place that is really good, Dillard house (1 hr)is a must. Macs drive in, Columbos, are Clemson campus establishments. 55 exchange for some Clemson dairy ice cream. Don't eat at the stadium. It's a corporate vendor and there food sucks. If you must eat in the stadium most on this site would tell you to get dippin dots. I suggest tailgating or crashing a tailgate for food on game day. You can leave at halftime and get back in.

6. Standard ticket procedure for any sporting event. Depending on what game tix may be available through the tix office.

7. Rewuires a seperate thread. I suggest reposting with just this as there are many tailgating festivities and options. Esso club on game day is a must and could go under 5 as well.

8. Tiger walk. Be in your seat early for "the most exciting 25 secs in all of college fb". If you miss this you have wasted your trip.

9. Myrtle beach, Charleston offer great costal vacations. Asheville, boon, lake Fontana offer great mountain vacations.

10. Very hospitable as long as you don't wear garnet and black. Parking lots usually free and some lots offer a shuttle.

11.gt, ncstate horrible, fsu so so, pretty cool traditions but not much to do in tally. Not in acc but app state is a cool game day town. Those are the only acc aways I've been to.

I'm bored, I'll bite ...

Apr 29, 2016, 3:25 AM

TRAVEL:
1. GSP is most convenient, but not always best flight options; ATL and CLT are easier for flights, but longer drive.
2. Mountains and lakes around campus, pretty areas.
3. Yeah, you're going to want to have a car.
HOTEL:
4. There are several hotels in Clemson, but they fill up fast on game weekends and usually raise their rates. Just Google it. You can also stay in Anderson or Greenville and drive in for the game. There are lake houses on Hartwell and Keowee that can be rented. If you want to stay in the mountains there are nice places like Highlands and Cashiers about 1.5 hours away.
FOOD:
5. Smokin' Pig is good BBQ, there is another really good BBQ place in Long Creek towards the Chattooga River, but that is a bit of a drive. There are other good restaurants in Clemson: Calhoun Corners, Pixie & Bills, Blue Heron, etc.
TICKETS:
6. Unless it is South Carolina game you can usually just walk around the stadium and find someone selling a seat or two. Other than that, the usual places: StubHub, etc.
TAILGATING:
7. Whole dang campus, Southern Living rates us the best tailgaters in college football.
TRADITIONS:
8. You serious Clark?
OTHER ATTRACTIONS
9. Lakes, waterfalls, mountains, etc.
SAFETY:
10. Small college town, sometimes a drunk college kid may do something stupid, but they are few and far between.
OTHER ACC SCHOOLS:
11. Maryland "fans" enjoy donkey genitalia but they left the ACC for the B1G so we said "good riddance!". UNC, UVA, and Duke are snobs, but we beat them regularly in football so we just pat them on the head and say "That's nice." NCSU are some seriously drunken rednecks but again, we beat them regularly so we just put up with them being vulgar. BC, VT and Louisville fans are really nice from what I've experienced, enjoy being around them. GT is a bunch of nerds who have a hard time with the social aspects of being around fans of other schools and act in socially awkward ways towards them (I feel I can say this because I went to grad school at GT, seriously, their students are not normal). Syracuse was really good 50 years ago and pretty good 20 years ago, but they are just God awful now, so they can't understand why we don't take them seriously (and it seems to make them really, really angry). Wake fans are quiet and accept that football just really isn't their thing. No idea about Pittsburgh, we haven't played them yet. Miami fans don't seem to travel well, to other teams stadiums or their own for that matter (so limited interaction). Which brings us to FSU. We are in a pretty good struggle with them regarding whose conference this is when it comes to football. It was ours for the first 40 years this conference existed, then they came in and took it over for a decade or so, but for the last 15 years it has become a pretty good power struggle with the last 5 or 6 years seeing it turn into full on cage fight.

Re: I'm bored, I'll bite ...

Apr 29, 2016, 3:35 AM

I could put up with the nerds. It's the fear of being mugged walking to the stadium that keeps me away now. That and well something horrible happens every time we go there. Although I may bite again this year just to see us exercise the demons. Lol

TU for the Maryland description***

Apr 29, 2016, 7:57 AM [ in reply to I'm bored, I'll bite ... ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2016, 6:51 AM

The visit to Clemson will be the best visit you ever took. It's just that simple. Cpme on down and enjoy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2016, 7:08 AM

The extended family trips could include:
1. Asheville stuff - Biltmore house, hiking, hippies, etc
2. Atlanta stuff - Zoo, Aquarium, MLK, sports (if you like bad pro sports)
3. Charlotte stuff - Carowinds, fighting traffic
4. Charleston - beach, history, food, fighting all the other tourists

TU for ATL bad sports teams haha***

Apr 29, 2016, 2:12 PM

Lots of good stuf here, so I'm just piling on ...

Apr 29, 2016, 7:52 AM

Amen on flights. ATL has widest selection, but try no to get anything that arrives in the erly afternoon there, because you have to crawl through ATL traffic to get here.

Get a car and use it. Owing to the less-than-urban setting here, you'll save a lot of logistic aggravation.

If your schedule allows, come a day early and take in the surrounding area. Unless, of course, you hate seeing some of the nicest land and most pleasant people the Almighty put on Earth. Whitewater Falls, Stumphouse Tunnel, the mountains, down to Tallulah Gorge and up to the you'll know that
(a)in Asheville ... it's not as majestic as the western mountains, but it's a great break from wherever you've been. We're a bit distant from the ocean (4-5 hours), so take to the hills.

If you're a visitor and not a jack@ss, count on being treated friendly. It's just something we do. And come ready to talk football. By kickoff, youll know why:

1. We don't "storm the field" ... win or lose we gather at the paw, and you're welcome to join us.

2. It's two fights and a ######.

3. Woo-hooing will get you kicked out of old-timers tailgates, so don't do it.

Come on down!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2016, 8:10 AM

Get back in car and drive approximately one hour south to Athens, Ga......a real college town. You will not be sorry.

Apr 29, 2016, 8:12 AM

hear they have a really nice jail down there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

too bad athens

Apr 29, 2016, 8:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Tips for visiting fan to Clemson ]

Doesn't have a "real" football team

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

You know, at the 2013 game, you're "fans" asked me ...

Apr 29, 2016, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Tips for visiting fan to Clemson ]

... where the strip clubs were in Clemson. I told them they were in Atlanta and that they should go now.

If that is what constitutes a "real college town" in your mind, then so be it. But that is not what makes Clemson a real college town.

You did forget about the Elite Showclub in Seneca...

Apr 29, 2016, 12:15 PM

or more affectionately referred as the "$hitty titty"

Stop sniffing our visitors' crotches...

Apr 29, 2016, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Tips for visiting fan to Clemson ]

especially on their first visit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's cute, y'all going to fail to win a pitiful SEC East

Apr 29, 2016, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Tips for visiting fan to Clemson ]

again this year, and peak at 7 or 8 wins??

Georgia football, what a power!!!!

Good Lawd, next thing you know you dumbazzes will be yelling #PawsUp

what year did you graduate?

Apr 29, 2016, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Tips for visiting fan to Clemson ]

nm

Apr 29, 2016, 8:21 AM

1.Greenville is always a good experience to fly in and out of, though Charlotte and Atlanta may be a little cheaper.
2. Greenville puts you in position to take the long, scenic route into Clemson via the Foothills Highway, Route 11. Awesome views of the mountains and mountain lakes.
3. Get a rental. It'll be much cheaper than ubering or using cabs, and more convenient than the CATbus system.
4. Rent a house somewhere closeby (look for houses within 40 minutes, on Lake Hartwell or Lake Keowee). Be sure to book way in advance and tell them you're a Clemson fan.
5. Lunch downtown on Thursday or Friday at Loose Change. Just a little dive bar, but the food is downright delicious.
6. Depends on the game. Ticket office is often best bet.
7. Buy a tailgating pass near the stadium, and be friendly! Clemson fans are some of the most hospitable in the country so don't be surprised if you wind up spending the day drinking Johnny Walker Platinum and shooting the breeze at some random tailgate.
8. Game day is a hell of an experience. Be there for Tiger Walk and see the intro to the game.
9. Locally, there's tons to do outdoors in the area. There's Y Beach (campus beach on Lake Hartwell), the Stumphouse Tunnel and Issaqueena Falls, Table Rock State Park, and if you stretch your drive to an hour out of town, both Upper and Lower Whitewater Falls and the Jocassee Gorges are some of the best hiking in the world and a National Geographic Top 50 natural site.
10. Don't get hit by a car crossing the street or be a #### to people and you'll be good. Not really any "bad" areas of Clemson.
11. FSU was fun but the people sucked. Charlottesville is relaxing. Blacksburg is a great little college town much like Clemson

My advice.

Apr 29, 2016, 12:13 PM

1. Fly into ATL. Busy airport, but its cheap to fly Delta (ATL is the hub) and if you carry on everything, then you can get in/out of there quickly. I would rent a car and drive to Clemson. You really need to have a car because Uber and other services have not taken off in most southern cities yet (besides ATL). Drive I-85 North to exit 1 or 2 in South Carolina and take either the Cherokee Scenic Foothills highway or highway 59 through Fair Play, SC. Both exits have elaborate fireworks stands so you can't miss them. Both drives are beautiful. They both will bring you into Clemson the "back way" which is much less traveled.

4. I would recommend staying in a lake house on Keowee. Air bnb or use some other online service to rent a house on the lake. My parents live on Keowee and it is gorgeous. Mountain views, clear and clean water, great fishing and boating. The drive from Lake Keowee to campus takes about 25 mins. on average depending on where you stay. My parents are in Seneca which is about 8 miles north of Clemson.

5. Seneca has a couple of really good hole in the wall joints. Paesano's Italian restaurant is legit and run by a really nice guy. Black's Smokehouse may be the best BBq in South Carolina that few people have heard of (it kicks Smokin' Pigs a$$). The Lighthouse is a really cool restaurant on the lake w/ boat parking. There are two lakeside bars that are also really fun. The Tiki Hut at the Keowee Marina and the Lighthouse has the "Cabana Club" down near the boat docks. There are also several grocery stores in town (Bi-Lo, Ingles, Wal-Mart) that you could get food for the weekend and cook at your lake house.

6. Scalping tickets to games is not very hard. If you wait till just before kickoff, you can get them for face value or way under face value (depending on the opponent). I would recommend that you be in the stadium about 20-30 mins before kick off so you can see the hill entrance. That is the most fun part of the game IMO.

7. Tailgaiting is everywhere. Make friends with strangers... we are very friendly. Chances are you will have a full belly of beer, booze, and bbq and not have to spend a dime.

8. Traditions... see response to number 6 regarding the hill entrance. We also have the graveyard, Howard's Rock, Tiger Walk, and many more. Just ask fans that you are tailgaiting with about the traditions... we love to talk about Clemson and try and convince people that we are the best.

9. Other attractions include lots of waterfalls, hiking, lakes, and historical landmarks in the area. Visit the South Carolina tourism website and look for "upstate" attractions particularly in Greenville, Pickens, and Oconee counties.

10. When I went to school there, I called Clemson the safest town in the USA. There is virtually no crime there outside of drinking related offenses. Also some crimes that are associated with drunk college kids, but that is literally it. There have been maybe 2 murders in Clemson in over 10 years or so and they have literally shaken the community to the core. Violent crime just doesn't happen in Clemson.

11. I haven't done that much ACC traveling outside of GT in ATL, Duke, and WF. All places are very underwhelming for football games.

A few simple items... 1. Friday lunch at Esso.

Apr 29, 2016, 2:23 PM

2. Dinner at Smoking Pig.

3. Fly into GSP. Worth the extra dollars. Explore downtown greenville if you have time. Eat at Sobys if you want a nice meal in greenville.

4. Stay either downtown greenville or in clemson for best ambiance. Lake house rental on keowee would be awesome.

Rent a car and lots of other good advice in the thread.

why don't you read what others have said....

Apr 29, 2016, 3:01 PM

that are not Gamecocks.

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2014/10/13/6969647/louisville-clemson-recap-2014-spike-petrino

http://brentreser.com/2014/10/my-clemson-football-experience/

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20151007/PC20/151009457/1032/notre-dame-fans-saved-from-storm-by-clemson-assistant

http://gottasupportem.blogspot.com/2013/09/road-trip-recap-first-visit-to-clemson.html

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 951
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic