Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Time to hold Dabo accountable for "Best Decade" comment
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 633
   | View Original Thread |

Time to hold Dabo accountable for "Best Decade" comment

Dec 9, 2019, 11:50 AM

Time to evaluate Dabo on his (reckless) “Best Decade Ever” comment for Clemson football

With the 2010s decade coming to an end, it’s time to hold Dabo accountable for a bold, “reckless” prediction. Many, including myself, considered it crazy – even foolish – at the time it was said. But Dabo said something after the 2010 season ended that can now be evaluated.
And evaluate it we must!

“But then-Clemson AD Terry Don Phillips was there to reinforce his belief in Swinney, not fire him. And Swinney soon after publicly declared that the Tigers would have their winningest decade ever by time 2020 arrived.”

I vividly remember sitting in Charlotte watching Clemson’s futile comeback attempt against South Florida in the CarQuest Bowl to end a 6-7 season. It was not pretty. Clemson showed some life in trying to comeback – but for much of the season, Clemson’s offense had not shown a clear identity. The defense had been a bit inconsistent through the year, which might have been partly due to the offense’s troubles. Many people were questioning if Dabo was the right guy. The future of Clemson football under Dabo was dubious at best.

Dabo made a statement soon afterward. Withing days, Dabo said that at the end of the current decade (the 2010s decade) that Clemson fans would look back and say it was Clemson football’s best decade. I admit I gave him no chance of pulling it off. Best ever?

I was a student at Clemson in the 1980s. I remember Danny Ford’s great defenses. I remember watching Clemson compete with the best college football had to offer. I remember Clemson wining multiple ACC titles. Beating powerhouse programs and, of course, winning the 1981 national title.
Clemson was 91-22-4 in the 1980s (76.7%). I was certain Dabo had made a prediction for Clemson that he would not (perhaps could not) deliver.

I could not have been more wrong!

As the 2010 decade comes to a close, Dabo has, without question, led Clemson to its greatest decade ever.
Two national championships.
Seven MAJOR bowl appearances including three Orange Bowls, two Fiesta Bowls, one Sugar Bowl, one Cotton Bowl.
2010s decade record: 116-22-0 (with one 2019 game remaining).

Time to evaluate Dabo’s bold, reckless, statement: A+ (Greatly Exceed Expectations!) Win or lose on December 28, Dabo's reckless comment was spot-on.

Best Decade Ever!

Words cannot express the gratitude Clemson Nation feels for Dabo and his staff (DC Venables, OC Elliot, OC Scott, RC Streeter, and all others). Or for the great young men who have played for Clemson this decade.
Go Dabo! Go Clemson!

https://apnews.com/bd7ad29f8c1744b39636312c277d5120

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson: Academic Excellence! Athletic Excellence!

Replies: 0
| visibility 633
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic