Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tillman Hall - Clemson Family
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,480

Tillman Hall - Clemson Family

Jan 15, 2015, 11:16 AM

I LOVED my days at Clemson! I have lifelong friends of EVERY race because of Clemson. That being said, I'm not sure that renaming the building is such a bad thing considering that it was named primarily because of his son who was on the board. Mr. Tillman was not just a racist, many were during that time. But he LED the racism and murdering that was a negative in the south. Here are some quotes:

Benjamin R. Tillman Quotes
• “Lynch law is all we have left.”
• “I believe they are men, but some of them are so near akin to the monkey that scientists
are yet looking for the missing link”
• “I will say to the Senator, that as long as the Negroes continue to ravish white women we
will continue to lynch them.”
• “I have three daughters, but, so help me God, I had rather find either one of them killed by
a tiger or a bear and gather up her bones and bury them, conscious that she had died in
the purity of her maidenhood by a black fiend. The wild beast would only obey the instinct
of nature, and we would hunt him down and kill him just as soon as possible. What shall
we do with a man who had outbruted the brute and committed an act which is more cruel
than death? Try him? Drag the victim into court, for she alone can furnish legal evidence,
and make her testify to the fearful ordeal through which she has passed, undergoing a
second crucifixion?”

We can hold on to some southern traditions, but this is one that needs to be remembered, but not honored.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i agree, but you're gonna get hammered.

Jan 15, 2015, 11:23 AM

i can't stand political correctness, and it's very difficult to judge a historical figure without context, but ben tillman was a man we should not venerate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

As I have stated, I certainly would not mind the building

Jan 15, 2015, 11:23 AM

being renamed. As a matter of fact, I think Niki Haley should have a campus building named in her honor after she leaves office.

The bigger issue I have, is that if you start looking at the people behind building names, you will start to find something offensive about most, particuarly those in the past.

And in the end, the people woh are demanding the change will not be any more unhappy or less angered. Frankly it will likely stoke the devisevness.

And I promise this to myself, I will post no more on this subject.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: As I have stated, I certainly would not mind the building

Jan 15, 2015, 12:00 PM

Niki Haley?!!! You serious Clark!?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson grad. First female governor of the state. American-

Jan 15, 2015, 12:18 PM

Indian heritage.

Why not?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Not until after she's dead.***

Jan 15, 2015, 12:16 PM [ in reply to As I have stated, I certainly would not mind the building ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tillman Hall - Clemson Family

Jan 15, 2015, 11:25 AM

I just can't believe so many are defending him and calling him a hero.
Does it matter what happens in another state or country? If it's wrong, it's WRONG!
Go Tigers!!

Then you'll be disappointed when it doesn't happen?***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm gonna say that Tillman definitely wouldn't have liked To Kill a Mockingbird or 12 Angry Men

Jan 15, 2015, 1:16 PM

But would he have liked to off a few of those posting on here? I'd sure be looking over my shoulder! lol
Go Tigers!!

I have only just made up my mind up about this

Jan 15, 2015, 3:11 PM

Your comments swayed me to favor renaming Tillman Hall. Thanks. A big TU. We must break tradition to overcome racism whenever and wherever we can. No room for it at Clemson. Or anywhere.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,480
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic