Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tight End
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,511

Tight End

Mar 16, 2019, 7:20 PM

is the only position that looks potentially weak both on the current roster and in the 2020 recruiting class. We are almost certain to lose Garrett Williams to the Marine Corps and still don't have a feel for the odds on Galloway winning his PED suspension appeal. That leaves us very thin for 2019. We have offered 3 elite recruits for 2020, but all three (Gilbert, Ungar & Washington) are leaning elsewhere at the moment. Anybody know of any other top candidates that we are looking at?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

arik gilbert and the

Mar 16, 2019, 7:30 PM

Washington kid from NV. Both 5 stars, also a 4 star kid.

Best case scenrio: gilbert and washington are tigers

Re: arik gilbert and the

Mar 16, 2019, 7:36 PM

We arent pulling Gilbert (UGA) or Washington but lead for Ungar

Re: arik gilbert and the

Mar 16, 2019, 7:36 PM [ in reply to arik gilbert and the ]

We arent pulling Gilbert (UGA) or Washington but lead for Ungar

Well im not sure

Mar 16, 2019, 9:54 PM

Why pulling Gilbert out of GA isnt possible

Disagree on current roster

Mar 16, 2019, 10:38 PM

Braden Galloway (88) and Jaelyn Lay (85) are gonna be special!

Re: Disagree on current roster

Mar 17, 2019, 10:30 AM

Why are you so sure Galloway will win his PED appeal case? Sure hope he does, but am not real confident.

Mar 17, 2019, 12:10 PM

All 3 have now tested negative, haven't they?
Dex was fine at Combine.

Mar 17, 2019, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Disagree on current roster ]

It's not like Galloway will never play again. He should be eligible in 2020 at the latest. Why can't he still be special?

Re: Tight End

Mar 17, 2019, 9:10 AM

I think we showed we didn't need to have a TE in 2016. We called Jordan Leggett a TE, but in my opinion, he was really a big WR. He was not a good blocker most of the time, particularly on wham blocks as the lead blocker. So what we were running with him was in reality a lot of 10 personnel sets, where he functioned as a 4th WR:

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2016/8/22/12574746/2016-clemson-football-season-preview-tight-ends

In 2018, we showed we could also function quite well with a blocking TE who was not a part of the passing game. Garrett Williams was/is a great blocker. I don't know how many passes he caught, but it wasn't many - and our offense did quite well with opponents knowing we weren't going to throw to him..... they had to respect that we might, but his effectiveness was edge protection and inside lead blocking. So, he was more of an H-back than WR.

Our offense can adapt to the talent we have and there's no shortage of it. I'd certainly like to see a fast 6'5", 265 lb. guy TE with long arms and great hands who can run routes, catch and block like a freight train, but those guys are hard to find. We may have something close with Jaelyn Lay, but it might take another year for him to learn everything expected from him at the position (which is a lot). We're also working a LB in the position. He's not real tall or heavy, but I suspect he was chosen for his willingness to block. Any pass catching ability would be a bonus.

We'll find out soon enough what we have at TE by the sets we use. I'm confident the coaches will figure out if we need 4 WRs or a blocking H-Back. If we can develop a TE who can do both, it will certainly make our offense more dangerous, but we've shown we don't need it - at least if we have good talent everywhere else. That's where the concern should be - accept that we may be limited at TE, then consider if we're OK everywhere else.

JC Chalk ?***

Mar 17, 2019, 9:34 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2019, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Tight End ]

We are going to run 10 personnel and I think the early witting is on the wall with the move of Justyn Ross to the 2. We have WR talent galore, a good OL, the best college QB to ever play the game... we will be fine. Pick your poison between stopping ETN and crew or get eaten alive a la Bama trying to stop our WRs.

Mar 17, 2019, 6:26 PM

Where 10 personnel may not work as well as we need is inside the red zone. Williams did a good job for us last year around the goal lines. We may have to do more of what surprised me last year - Power I formation - would give us the extra blocker at the point of attack. I was surprised to see us run it, but it worked many times when we did.

Bob will love this topic.***

Mar 17, 2019, 1:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,511
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic