Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tigers clinch ACC Atlantic with a win against Pitt
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 3,325

Tigers clinch ACC Atlantic with a win against Pitt

Nov 7, 2016, 12:35 PM

That's motivation.

Pitt worries me a little for one main reason - they play dirty, especially on the back end. They play almost exclusively man-to-man on the back end, and load the box, do their best to take away the entirety of the opponent's run game. Their DB's will grab, hold, tug jerseys, and commit blatant pass interference almost every throw on the grounds that the refs can't possibly call them all...and Narduzzi is a very vocal ref intimidator; he'll be whining and howling the whole game on the sidelines lobbying for (and against) calls.

A weak ref crew can really tilt a game in Pitt's favor, because if Pitt gets away with it, the more they'll do it.

So cross your fingers for a strong crew that's willing to stand up to Pitt's antics and Narduzzi's incessant lobbying. Deshaun was also dialed in on the deep ball last week - as he wasn't earlier in the year - and he's going to have to be again, because Narduzzi will not alter the way he plays defense. And those straight verts are going to be there. Here's hoping Watson's shoulder won't hinder him from hitting them.

Pitt's also pretty good, and occasionally explosive, on offense. They're fairly rugged up front, and RB James Conner is a no-kidding hoss; he's rushed for 712 yards at 4.6 a clip thus far this year - after, oh yeah, beating cancer - and is certainly on pace for 1,000 and looks to be getting stronger as the year goes on. Which maybe happens the more the chemo gets out of his system. Their QB, Nathan Peterman, throws fairly well (130 of 215 - 60.5% - for 1806 and 14 TD's versus only 4 picks) and is a lot more athletic than you'd expect; they throw mostly off play-action and will do a fair amount of read-option and RPO, and Peterman isn't shy about taking off with it; he's added 53 rushes for 191 and another TD and that's after his sack-yardage total is deducted. His two big weapons are junior WR Jester Weah - 26 catches for 563, 6 TD's, at a whopping 21.7 yards per grab - and TE Scott Orndoff, who has 21 catches for 354 (16.9 yards per catch) and another 2 TD's himself.

Pitt got lit up last week by Miami, losing 51-28 and Brad Kaaya shelled them pretty mercilessly, but that was also Pitt's only bad loss; they lost by one at UNC, a field goal against VT, and a touchdown at Oklahoma State. They beat Penn State 42-39 early on in the season and also beat GT (again by a field goal). The bottom line is, Clemson can't just stroll out and win and then go work on their Mannequin Challenge after the game; Pitt is rugged and effective - and, I think I mentioned, distinctly grabby. They're almost certainly going to show up with extra stickum on their grabby little hands and denial on their mouths, and they will get after us offensively. They're 50th of 128 teams in total O, and 87th of 128 defensively...their real Achilles heel is passing defense, where they rate just 126th of 128 FCS teams - and again, did I mention they compensate by grabbing a lot (like, every play!) and then screeching at the refs when they call it? Because they do.

Not sure I'd pick Clemson to cover the 20-point spread, especially if Pitt can uglify the game the way they're going to want to, and especially if Watson's arm is a little gimpy and he doesn't come out razor-sharp.

Whatever, though, at this point who really cares about style points? Win and we're in the ACC title game. Win that and we're in the playoffs...and in between we get this exhibition game against our feathered would-be rivals down I-26; they talk a lot of smack but they play in the utterly abysmal SEC East and lost last year to - get this - the Citadel. I kid you not.

Time to close this thing out....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tigers clinch ACC Atlantic with a win against Pitt

Nov 7, 2016, 12:37 PM

Narduzzi is going to lose his sh!t this weekend.

Herd it here first.

So, to be clear, are you saying Pitt is a little grabby on

Nov 7, 2016, 12:44 PM

defense? And their coach tries to influence the refs?

Just want to be sure I understand.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, to be clear, are you saying Pitt is a little grabby on

Nov 7, 2016, 1:05 PM

> defense? And their coach tries to influence the
> refs?
>
> Just want to be sure I understand.

Yes. That is it exactly. Glad you caught that; I wasn't sure I had put that in there. ;)

If I we're y'all, I'd be a little uneasy heading into this

Nov 7, 2016, 2:39 PM

game too. I think Pitt is the biggest threat remaining in the regular season to give you guys an upset loss. Watching VT play Pitt every single year, there is always a couple things I know Pitt is going to bring to the table.

1.) They are one of the most physical teams in the country.
2.) They play very disciplined football especially on offense.
3.) You HAVE to hit James Connor before he gets any momentum. He truly is one of the best runningbacks in college football and will gain huge chunk yardage if the D-line doesn't get good penetration.

I still expect Clemson to win by a couple scores, however if taken lightly, Pitt can make you pay.

Cheers to hopefully meeting in Orlando!

Re: If I we're y'all, I'd be a little uneasy heading into this

Nov 7, 2016, 3:01 PM

We will not take them lightly as they are a very solid team. I expect a 20 point win. We should win every game the rest of the season by 20. As for the ACC championship, good luck. You guys are going to need it to compete with us. I like what Fuentes is doing though and VT can get some dudes and should become better and better the next few years and get back to where you guys were. That being said the ACC championship is going to be difficult for your offense. Our D is nasty and we all know what our O will do. Special teams will have to be on fire if yall want to have a chance.

Q, i missed your post last week, was curious

Nov 7, 2016, 3:03 PM

if you picked us to cover vs Cuse?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Q, i missed your post last week, was curious

Nov 7, 2016, 3:45 PM

> if you picked us to cover vs Cuse?

Nope. I distinctly thought we would NOT cover. Figured 'Cuse and Babers would make it closer than 27, so I was WAY OFF on that one - like, 27 off. Dungey is a heckuva QB and I thought he'd duel us some.

Of course, then Dungey got crushed and that was pretty much that for Syracuse's day.

So it goes. But hopefully Fate doesn't compensate by giving us an unnecessarily tense deathmatch this Saturday.

Nice, but "win and we're in the playoffs"??

Nov 7, 2016, 3:24 PM

Too early to say that.

Replies: 8
| visibility 3,325
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic