Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TigerNet always like this in the summer?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,273

TigerNet always like this in the summer?

Jul 11, 2012, 10:15 AM

I have been reading TigerNet for several years now off and on - Mostly during football season. This is the first time I have kept up through the summer.

Clemson fans are known for hyping up each season as if we have a chance to win a National Championship. Even though most "experts" say we will be 9-3. I have never been much on hype and I hate Notre Dame with a passion solely because of their hype and overrating each and every season even by the "experts".

My question is... Is TigerNet always this hyped up before the upcoming season? Is this going to be the year that Clemson doesn't "pull a Clemson"? I always sincerely think we can win any game we play, but I just don't contribute to the hype and open my mouth. I usually let the play on the field do that for me - either way it goes. I guess I am ok with winning a National Championship even if I didn't "call it". But I am not ok with being 9-3 again when I was "calling" a National Championship.

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is excitement for the upcoming season hyping?

Jul 11, 2012, 10:18 AM

I remember Dr. Edwards "hyping" the 1978 season. I am on his page. I think we have a good returing group and they know what they accomplished and did not accomplish last year and want to make it even better--this will be a big year for Clemson. 12-2. JMHO.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TigerNet always like this in the summer?

Jul 11, 2012, 10:20 AM

Last year was a combination. Lots of people predicting 12-0 or 11-1, but just as many predicting 6-6, 7-5, or 8-4 (I think I was on of the ones who picked 8-4)

Way above expectations

Jul 11, 2012, 1:56 PM

I was expecting a 7-5 year last year. the Tigers came out of the gate an blew away my highest expectations. this year i am hyped for the season b/c i know the components we have coming back and i have faith in the BV hire. the OL is still a mystery, and the DL is also questionable simply b/c of lack of experience... but Tajh didn't have much experience last year and look what he was doing most of the year. so, i'm excited and hopeful. 11-1 regular season is my hopeful prediction. Ntl Championship and all that... who knows... play one game at a time and see where we land.

I always try to be conservative with my predictions

Jul 11, 2012, 2:19 PM

that way, I'm pleasantly surprised if we do better. It's still hard for me to predict less than 9 wins this year though.

I haven't noticed anyone seriously predicting a Nat. Champ.

Jul 11, 2012, 10:21 AM

Most sports fans are optimistic about their team in the pre-season though. It's a good thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm predicting it...seriously

Jul 11, 2012, 11:31 AM

if we are able to get out of Tally 4-0 we've got as good a chance as we could every hope for. VaTech, Georgia Tech, NC State, and SC at home. Away at Wake (I don't care what day of the week) and Duke. If we are 4-0 after FSU, I hope we take advantage of it because a favorable home schedule for ALL tough games from that point on is something we rarely see.

Do I think we run the table and win it all...no

But it's possible

We are undefeated bro***

Jul 11, 2012, 12:04 PM [ in reply to I haven't noticed anyone seriously predicting a Nat. Champ. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Shotgun! The rest can ride in the bed.***

Jul 11, 2012, 12:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just a personal note.

Jul 11, 2012, 1:08 PM

During the eighties, though I was mature enough to know better, I expected a national championship every year.

I learned the bitterness of such high expectations come hard and early with Clemson's first loss. I also learned that those foam hand puppets declaring a team to be #1 were for college aged folks and not adults.

It's more a matter of maturity than objectivity to understand how to avoid the crushing feeling that is reserved for only the fans of the teams that actually play in the national championship game. Only one fanbase walks away from that game feeling like they won it all.

It takes days and weeks for the other fans to recuperate emotionally from the experience. Fans who expect their team to win a national championship each and every year are the most miserable of all people. With their first loss every year they boldly declare their season ruined.

They usually lobby to fire the coach, ad and president and search for a team of management that can get the job done right which is to win the national championship every year.

Here in Tennessee they call themselves Vols, in Alabama they are called Tide, etc...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hoping for a NC and abandoning after the first loss are two

Jul 11, 2012, 1:13 PM

entirely different subjects. Start with the highest expectations and adapt as necessary. The goals are the locker room wall don't read "9-3".

Re: TigerNet always like this in the summer?

Jul 11, 2012, 1:48 PM

Somebody postd that Clemson beat USC to win the national title in EA NCAA 2013, and yesterday, my son (playing as Clemson) beat in a "national championship" game of paper football. So yes, I think its possible. Given the talent that Dabo is recruiting and our schedule, we should have a chance to play for the NC every year. With top-tier talent, we should get top-tier results. If not, maybe Dabo is not as great as I and many others think he is.

Heres the process for most teams...

Jul 11, 2012, 2:44 PM

Hype the team/season. Over estimate wins over bad teams. Make excuses for the losses. Change assistant coaches and get excited about next year.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,273
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic