Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tiger fighting ring broken up in Anderson county
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 540

Tiger fighting ring broken up in Anderson county

May 15, 2017, 6:18 PM

http://abcnews4.com/news/local/colleton-county-cockfighting-more-arrests-made-new-details-photos-released

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had a great uncle who used to raise and fight chickens.

May 15, 2017, 7:03 PM

I didn't know it was bad when I was a kid. He used to let us watch them fight. But when the kids were there, he always put some kind of rubber covers on their spurs. I always thought it was funny and didn't realize that it was actually a violent experience used for gambling.

(Random brain vomit from 7spots.)

In the early 80s, we used to drive from Clemson over to

May 15, 2017, 10:05 PM

the Woodside Fish and Game Club in Georgia and go to fights. The place was like a cockfighting stadium with bleacher space for I'm guessing 500-600 people. The place was in the middle of nowhere, you had to go with someone that knew where it was because the rutted dirt road you turned on to had no markings of any kind. Georgia state troopers handled the parking, because I'm pretty sure it was a legal event in those days. Gambling was done by standing up and yelling out your bet on a rooster and those around you would yell back their acceptance of the bet. You brought your own cooler of beer as long as it would fit under your seat. Fights usually started early evening and went until 11, and when you left there would be dozens of 55 gallon drums filled with dead roosters. One of the guys that lived on my hall in Johnstone had a relative that was a member of the Game Fowl Breeders Association, so that's how I ended up there. Also went to some backyard fights he put on, which was the first time I ever got a taste of real moonshine.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I must admit...

May 15, 2017, 10:25 PM

After watching dozens of chicken fights in my uncles back yard...

I was extremely shocked to realize that the chickens actually bled and died during the real fights. First time I saw a fight without the spur covers kind of rocked my world. Sort of one of those loss of innocence moments. As bad as it was, it wasn't as hard as actually having to kill my first chicken. For me, that was rough. ((I still hate to have to kill things. (Unless its a cold beer. I will kill that in a heartbeat.))

I will say that I remember sympathizing with the Latino ball player that referenced chicken fighting and got thrown under the bus by the media a few years back. Like him, I just didn't realize it was viewed in such a bad light. I kind of grew up with it.

chickens are pretty cruel creatures actually

May 15, 2017, 10:38 PM

but not in the "cockfighting" way with the spurs.

As they grow up, a young flock will naturally beat/peck on each other until one emerges as the leader, 2nd, 3rd, etc to the last "submissive" one. That's actually where the term "pecking order" comes from. If one ever gets injured and starts bleeding, all of them will gang up and peck it until they kill it. This is hens, roosters, all of them. You have to quarantine the hurt one until they heal or it won't last through the night.

And EVERY sexual encounter is a pretty brutal rape. The poor hens usually lose their back of neck feathers from the way they get grabbed and held by the rooster. It's only a 2-3 second encounter though. But savage.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are absolutely correct.

May 16, 2017, 8:45 AM

What is built into their DNA makes them an easy transition into a blood sport. That said, I was shocked the first time that I went to an organized fight that the blood and gore isn't nearly as bad as I would have expected. I guess my expectation was that they would tear each other apart, but it's not like that at all.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tiger fighting ring broken up in Anderson county

May 15, 2017, 10:13 PM

This is SO early 90's. What gives? Is it back or was never gone.

my roosters fight all the time, without any formal training

May 15, 2017, 10:18 PM

but they never hurt each other. It's just what they do. Funny to watch them puff up at each other though. They bump chests in midair a few times and eventually just lose interest.

I had two roosters a while back - possum got one though.

May 16, 2017, 8:35 AM

I was funny to watch them jockey for power. Woody is a Gold Laced Wyandotte (3yrs old). Peter Pan was a Black Copper Marans. (2 years old).

While Woody was fully grown and Peter Pan was still maturing, Wood would whoop #### on Peter Pan anytime he would come around any food, water, or hens. Then after Peter Pan matured, he started hammering on Woody. It almost seemed like he was remembering his "teenage years" and getting revenge. He beat Woody so bad that Woody started clucking and sitting on eggs. LOL. Then Peter Pan died and Woody reigns supreme once again. Long live Woody.

If you have the chance go get some birds, I highly recommend it. Especially if you have children. It is very entertaining.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Ya know, I really expected a underground #### fighting

May 16, 2017, 7:37 AM

facility to be a complete dump, similar to what I think you'd find in a meth lab.

Was not disappointed. Not. One. Bit.

Article says Colleton County. That's in the low country.

May 16, 2017, 7:49 AM

It's off of I-95 on the way to Charleston. Our family has some acreage near here. Based on what I have seen over the years, this is par for the course.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Re: Article says Colleton County. That's in the low country.

May 16, 2017, 7:53 AM

It's coot country. I don't know why they would want to fight the mascot of their glorified institution that none of them could ever actually get into because they are a bunch of inbreeding rednecks.

oh it's everywhere, Upstate and NC mountains included

May 16, 2017, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Article says Colleton County. That's in the low country. ]

you've seen it and not been aware of it. If you ride by a farm and see a bunch of small pointy little tent-looking things or dog crates all spaced out in an open field, they are raising fighting roosters. Not illegal to raise them, just illegal to fight them. I know a guy in Six Mile that does it.

Replies: 12
| visibility 540
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic