Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tiger Band
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Tiger Band

Aug 29, 2018, 1:10 PM

curious if the Tiger Band continues to grow in numbers? i know it was down a few years ago, and has steadily crept back up. Thought the Band has been fantastic the last 2 years or so

go tigers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Tiger Band

Aug 29, 2018, 1:24 PM

I was with the understanding, at least back in the fall of 2016, that they had more volunteers interested in playing in Tiger Band than there were available slots. Not sure if it is still that way today.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 29, 2018, 1:25 PM

Saw this tweet that says Tiger Band is at 356 members this year. I think this is about the same size as the 2016 National Championship year band. I believe they were a little down from that last year.

So happy that we've grown the band to around the 350 number. Play loud and proud Tiger Band.

https://twitter.com/PaulHyde7/status/1029862534361309184

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 29, 2018, 1:28 PM

So very good and creative in what they do. Sound great even through the television. GooooooTigers!!!!!!!!!

so awesome +1***

Aug 29, 2018, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger Band ]

Best Is The Standard

Aug 29, 2018, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger Band ]

My son was drum major and commander in 2016. This year they will not take the full band to any road games. Money is short that’s just sad

In 1985 Danny came over and said he wasn’t going anywhere

Aug 29, 2018, 9:06 PM

without the band. Of course, our longest road trip that year was Kentucky and we only had 5 road games. I think Danny knew 1985 was going to be a struggle. Really appreciated that.

What a shame band can’t travel to all games. I wonder if schools like Ohio State or Bama ever leave their band at home.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, they do.

Aug 30, 2018, 4:22 PM

Or at least Alabama has in the past. I went to the Scar-Bama game in 2001, and I was looking forward to sitting next to their band, but they didn’t make the trip.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Aug 29, 2018, 1:27 PM

My granddaughter was thinking about going to Clemson and trying out for the bad. She chose to stay home and go to school, but competition to Get in the bad is big. You have to audition Tiger Rag and nail it, among other things. I wish the band interacted more during the games instead of the piped in music

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Aug 29, 2018, 1:29 PM

I hope she's a GOOD young lady. ;)

Aug 29, 2018, 1:45 PM

Lol, spelling on a phone is not my forte

Aug 29, 2018, 1:47 PM

Could have been worse...that thing takes on a whole new meaning if it had auto-corrected to bag in a few spots. lol

Full Tiger Band away games this year?

Aug 29, 2018, 1:44 PM

Anybody know what away games we are taking the full band to this year?

Based on past experience, my guess would be @Georgia Tech and @Florida State.

I'd love it if the full band were to travel to @Texas A&M, but I doubt that will be the case. If not the full band, I hope at least a large pep band.

Re: Full Tiger Band away games this year?

Aug 29, 2018, 1:55 PM

Full band trip to Georgia Tech. Large pep bands to A&M, FSU, Wake, BC.

I think the band office was forward thinking with the travel budget when they came up with this schedule. Excellent chance there will be full band going to Miami/Dallas and San Fran.

When I was in the band we went to every game and

Aug 29, 2018, 2:55 PM

we liked it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Aug 29, 2018, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Full Tiger Band away games this year? ]

Thanks for the information. I cannot believe we won't take a full band to Tallahassee. This is the first time I can ever remember where the full band did not go to FSU. Disappointing.

FSU's huge band always comes to Clemson as well.

I don't see why post-season possibilities should effect the regular season travel. The extra money from CFP should cover the university's travel, including the band.

Aug 29, 2018, 11:31 PM

The FSU trips when I was in band were amazing (I think it was ~2004 when we stayed in Panama City that same weekend) and it sucks they no longer will be able to do that.

However to my knowledge we lose money on the postseason because of the massive travel expenses (including the band). While we do come out ahead due to the increased exposure the postseason offers, I suspect that's part of the consideration. As we are picked to not just win the ACC, but possibly compete for a title again, they probably want to save a bit of money where they can.

Aug 30, 2018, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Full Tiger Band away games this year? ]

Aug 29, 2018, 11:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Full Tiger Band away games this year? ]

It sounds like it's not so much cutting the band budget as trying not to increase the band budget too much. We have added a couple of December games and sometimes a January game lately. :)

Aug 31, 2018, 11:36 AM

Its about decreasing the band budget AND figuring out ways to turn it into a profit.

See the list I posted elsewhere in this thread. IPTAY wanted band members to pay for their seats for each game. That didnt work, so IPTAY took away seats from the band despite the band growing in number.

Aug 29, 2018, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Full Tiger Band away games this year? ]

None this year

Aug 29, 2018, 4:23 PM

I was in Tiger band from 2012-2016.

In 2012, we had 245 members, with 25 trumpets as the smallest section. I played trumpet.

In 2016, Tiger Band had 365 members, with 57 trumpets as the largest section.

In 2017, Tiger Band was pushing 375 and was the first year in the almost 100 years of Tiger Band history that the band had to hold auditions and turn kids away. The auditions and cuts weren't significant though, some 98% of kids that auditioned were accepted.

The issue with Tiger Band growth is no longer disinterest, lots of kids want to come perform in Tiger Band. They want to be in a great, award winning marching band (Tiger Band has won more CBDNA National Awards than any other marching band since 2000), and they want to march under Dr. Mark Spede who has become renowned as one of the top directors in the country.

However, IPTAY and Dan Radakovich hate Tiger Band. I was a band officer in my last 2 years of Tiger Band, and sat on the CUTBA board of directors. IPTAY seems to have backed off for now, but in Drads early days they tried to do a lot of things to make Tiger Band smaller, or completely get rid of the band entirely in favor of turning more profits.

Aug 29, 2018, 5:19 PM

Sounds like a bitter former bank member!??

Have a hard time believing DRad wants to get rid of the band altogether...

Aug 29, 2018, 6:04 PM

Maybe not get rid of it but the poster knows what he’s talking about. Heard the same stories from my son

Aug 30, 2018, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger Band ]

No, I'm not bitter actually. I'm actually happy, because we were able to stop IPTAY from regulating the band.

Tiger Band was very good to me and was a significant factor in building me into the person I am. I am honored and thankful that I was able to participate, especially during the era of Clemson football I participated in.

Drads first year, IPTAY bought the band the new uniforms they wear now. After we got them, IPTAY started acting like they owned us. Mind you, this was the first time IPTAY ever bought the band uniforms. Before that, uniforms were supplied by CUTBA.

Here are the suggestions Drad and IPTAY made to the band, some of these requests are ones IPTAY would never dream of asking, but Drad asked us himself. I have indicated which ones were exclusively from Drad:

- Get rid of Tiger Rag and permanently replace Tiger Rag with a song that was "more modern". (Drad personally)
- Get rid of the Alma Mater and permanently replace it with a song that was "more modern"(Drad personally)
- Reduce the size of the band
- Replace the band with a pep band with more modern songs and instruments (Drad personally)
- Replace Tiger Band with a DJ booth, "Cant a DJ do what the band does already"? (Drad personally)
- Eliminate all road trips for the band, including to bowl games and championships
- Force band members to pay for discounted season tickets in order to be allowed in the stadium (Tiger band has always bee free to participate, outside of paying $20 for a band tshirt).
- Reducing the number of seats allocated to Tiger Band.

The Band staff and student leadership successfully stopped every single one of those proposals, except the reduced seating.

Every year the band grows bigger, IPTAY removes a full row of seats from the band and reallocates them to fans. Thats one reason why the band looks so disorganized in the stands, IPTAY keeps taking away the room necessary for the band to stand in. Although, it was a good excuse to convince the cute band girls to sit in our laps... kidding (not really), but reducing the band seating despite the band GROWING is counter intuitive (on purpose) and is not only a huge PITA but a safety concern as well. IPTAY is reducing the band seating to try and make it as uncomfortable as possible for band members while they are in the stands, with the intent that it discourages participation and reduces the size of the band, thus reducing the cost of maintaining a full band.

Luckily, Tiger Band operates on a budget which receives the majority of its funding from donations. Band functions are mostly funded by donations, or the band simply finds a way to do things itself. Tiger Band has historically received minimal support from the university compared to other programs. The university itself provides an appallingly low amount of support to the marching band compared to other schools. For example, for the 2015 national title game against Bama in Phoenix, Tiger Band was forced to fly in commercial cargo planes that were modified to seat people at the last minute, literally steel and wires with no creature comforts and seats hastily bolted to the floor, while the Bama band (The MDB) rode normal chartered commercial planes.

If I could describe to you guys some of the appalling and sketchy hotels IPTAY has placed us in, you would likely change your tune.

Aug 29, 2018, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger Band ]

You know my son. ZA

Aug 30, 2018, 2:56 PM

Yes I do, Z is a great guy. He and Dalton were always cutting up my last year. He did great work with the SC Strong show too. Hope he is doing well these days.

Aug 29, 2018, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger Band ]

College football is not college football without the bands. No piped in music can match it. Take heed DRad.

Aug 29, 2018, 8:48 PM

So right

Your last statement is really sad if that is their attitude.

Aug 29, 2018, 9:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger Band ]

That is awful. Is their another funding source for band travel other than IPTAY?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Your last statement is really sad if that is their attitude.

Aug 29, 2018, 10:39 PM

You can donate to the band

Aug 30, 2018, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Your last statement is really sad if that is their attitude. ]

Donations are always appreciated. In fact, Tiger Band operates more on donations than the IPTAY money.

Aug 30, 2018, 3:42 PM

If you don’t mind post a link for donations to the Band

Aug 30, 2018, 4:14 PM

Sure thing, here is how you can donate directly:

https://cualumni.clemson.edu/give/cutba

CUTBA is the booster organization that supports tiger band. All funds sent to CUTBA go directly to supporting Tiger Band. CUTBA does not take any profits and its members/Board of Directors are unpaid volunteers supporting Tiger Band.

Aug 31, 2018, 3:30 AM

Is there a way for Tiger Band to get a list/w addresses for IPTAY members so the band can send donation info and the needs of the band

Aug 31, 2018, 11:40 AM

Sort of, there is a mailing list sent to IPTAY members about where you can donate. Sometimes Tiger band is a footnote. CUTBA also sends out their own newsletters and donation info, but you need to be a CUTBA member.

From my observations, CUTBA doesnt get nearly enough exposure as it needs to get. If CUTBA did, then the band would get much better support.

Some of the issues with the band are from the fact that IPTAY has to have strict budgets. Clemson's physical and financial infrastructure just has not been able to anticipate or keep up with the growth Dabo has generated at Clemson.

Aug 30, 2018, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger Band ]

I would say no or 99.9% of IPTAY members, including myself have no idea what is happening. Tiger Band is essential to our game day experience

How do “the big boy schools” handle band road trips?

Aug 29, 2018, 9:10 PM

Ohio State, Alabama etc? Do they take pep bands?

Re: How do “the big boy schools” handle band road trips?

Aug 29, 2018, 10:32 PM

Nope they have a music major duh

Re: How do “the big boy schools” handle band road trips?

Aug 30, 2018, 3:31 PM [ in reply to How do “the big boy schools” handle band road trips? ]

The big schools it depends.

Most schools dont send any bands on road games. Typically, the Bama's and OSU's only send the band to bowl games and championship games. In fact, Clemson is one of the small handful of schools that sends a band to every. single. game.

The big schools do their best to put their bands in decent accommodations. IPTAY does not, at least for big band trips.

For small band trips, IPTAY puts up the money to spoil us. But generally thats only a 30-40 member pep band trip. When you have full band trips, thats when the travel accommodation issues begin. Some you cant prevent because you have to budget for 370+ people. Others are totally avoidable and are serious concerns.

The accommodations IPTAY makes for the full band are subpar. Horrifically so, to the point that there are legitimate health and safety concerns (and possible code violations) occurring in some cases. Like IPTAY chartering Jean's Buses, which break down every single trip, have no working bathrooms, and have dead animals on the buses that are never cleaned up despite being reported. There were times, especially when we were riding the Jean's Buses we chartered, where we had legitimate safety concerns. Oh, and the State of South Carolina has permanently banned Jeans Buses from offering their services on State Gov. contracts because they are that much of a health and safety liability.

Still, I would never trade my experience in Tiger Band for anything. I have the utmost respect for Dr. Spede and everything he has accomplished, he is easily the greatest band director in the history of Tiger Band and I sincerely hope he sticks around Clemson for a long time. While changes need to be made, they built character and taught us to overcome the odds. That's why Tiger Band has won more awards than any other D1 college marching band since 2000: we are tough and we work harder than anyone else. These instances also make for some great stories.

"Hey Dad, can you tell us the story about the 2013 Orange Bowl, when Clemson destroyed Ohio state and you had to ride in a 60 person bus that was overcrowded with 100 people and had dead raccoons in it because the other bus you were using caught fire in front of the hotel in South Beach?"

EDIT: I will echo what another poster stated above: a lot of these bigger schools have Music programs with a music major. Clemson does not have a music program or a music major, so that is one reason why it doesnt get as many funds as other schools. However, the attitude from Drad and IPTAY is a different story and leaves much to be explained.

These reports are appalling! I cannot believe that

Aug 31, 2018, 12:10 AM

Tiger Band is treated so poorly. I had no idea. Those ideas you attribute to DRad are outrageously stupid. If he ever makes any of those happen he needs to be driven out of town with pitchforks. My goodness, visiting bands (Auburn, FSU, SCar) get more seats in Death Valley than Tiger Band.

As an IPTAY member, I plan to make my views known. I encourage other IPTAY members do the same. I contribute to CUTBA every year, but I also expect IPTAY and CUAD to support the band in a first class manner. If we get organized and make our views known that the Band that Shakes the Southland needs to be treated like treasure they are, I hope that would make a difference. Best is the Standard needs to apply to Tiger Band as well.

I will say I have seen on TV that The Ohio State Marching Band (full band) does travel far distances to some big regular season games. They were in Berkley when the Buckeyes played the Cal Bears a few years ago. The full Ohio State band was also in Norman, Oklahoma 2 years ago when they played the Sooners. The Ohio State band members are treated like kings. When we played them Phoenix, I went to their band practice. The high school stands where they practiced were full! I tell you there had to be 2,000 people watching the Ohio State band practice! Literally there were multiple tour busses brining fans to the practice. Tiger Band practiced at the same high school but there were maybe 50 folks there to watch.

Re: These reports are appalling! I cannot believe that

Aug 31, 2018, 11:31 AM

I dont want to underscore how awesome Tiger Band was. There are some things that Tiger Band gets to do that other bands dont. The experience of being in Tiger Band is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I would never trade for anything. I cannot stress that enough as to how amazing my experience in Tiger Band was. It is single handily the best organization to be a part of as a student there and I hope it stays that way. The cost of being in Tiger band is almost nothing, they pay us to go to away games, and the per diem is usually generous. For the 2013 Orange bowl against Ohio State, we had around 290 band members, and each band member got $300 from IPTAY. Thats a big chunk of change.

IPTAY's treatment of Tiger Band has been up and down. Since 2013, it has gone downhill significantly. The buses are the worst part. They are a legitimate safety concern.

I would not be surprised at all if we read a story in the near future about a group of Tiger Band members getting hurt or killed in a bus crash because of how neglectful and irresponsible Jean's Buses is.

That's a horrible thing to say, but its true. That isn't a joke. Someone is going to get killed riding with Jean's Buses and its only a matter of time. There is absolutely zero justification for IPTAY continuing to charter their services.

Aug 31, 2018, 12:20 PM

Wouldn't be surprised to find out a big IPTAY donor owns the bus charter. Your comments about the level of support for the band have been interesting to say the least, especially Drad's lack of respect and recommendations for certain traditions. Must've have carried over from efforts during his GT employment. Hopefully someone has clued him in by now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Aug 31, 2018, 12:29 PM

DRad is all about the money. And he is great at that. He is growth oriented, and risk averse. He fits the mold of the modern day CEO or CFO we see in big businesses these days. Margins are slim, and his job is to grow the program. Dabo grows the program through the success of the team, Clemson does that by marketing their image (which the band is a crucial part of), and Drad does it through $$$.

While each of those 3 entities recognizes each other, they are not similar in any aspect. The most alienated is the component Drad is a part of: business business business, cut and dry, profit focused. everything comes 2nd to that. He may wear orange, but all he wants to see is green.

I am in business management myself and have to perform a similar role, so I see where he is coming from. Its all about growing the biggest tree with the most apples, appearances be ######. Unfortunately, some things get lost in that drive for growth, and sometimes you prune too much.

These issues with the band and IPTAY are not going to be resolved soon, and IPTAY is always going to err on the side of making money vs supporting the band. They will never give the band a bone if they could earn more revenue instead.

The best solution is to let Clemson fans know the story, and encourage them to donate. If we could boost donations for the band, then the problems would fix themselves. IPTAY would not feel as burdened since the band could cover more of its own costs, so IPTAY would be more willing to give more when the occasions present themselves.

Donations are the biggest way to improve this and if we want to keep these traditions alive, we should all try to give more if possible.

Aug 31, 2018, 3:29 PM

I thought they were no longer using Jean's busses? I know for the national championship game in Tampa and last year's Sugar Bowl game they used Champion busses. I saw a Tiger Band's Vlog for the Sugar Bowl and those busses looked very nice.

I agree on donations to the band. I have long said that if IPTAY would just put a voluntary box to add an extra $50 for Tiger Band on the IPTAY contribution form, I feel most would gladly give it.

With !7,000 IPTAY members, at an average contribution rate it could result in:
@ $50/member = $850,000 per year
@ $30/member = $510,000 per year
@ $10/member = $170,000 per year

The only problem if IPTAY controls the money they may try to control the band.

Maybe we should start IPFAY (I Pay Fifty A Year)to support Tiger Band!

This is a great start!

Aug 31, 2018, 3:46 PM

https://twitter.com/ClemsonCAAH/status/1035595636480065536

Re: This is a great start!

Aug 31, 2018, 4:30 PM

That will come in handy

That is sad. I can’t imagine college football without the band

Aug 31, 2018, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: How do “the big boy schools” handle band road trips? ]

Imagine the tigers running down hill without a band to form the “tunnel”. No doting the “I” during pregame.

Even the away bands make the college game better. Not that I enjoy hearing “Warchant” by FSU, it adds to the game.

A lot of people get their interest in football from band, cheerleading etc. These things are important to the in game experience.

Message was edited by: tigertrain®

Message was edited by: tigertrain®

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic