Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tiger Band - No Full Band for Away Games in 2017*
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Tiger Band - No Full Band for Away Games in 2017*

Jul 19, 2017, 8:50 AM

Tiger Band will not be in not be in full attendance at this year's away games. The full band will travel to South Carolina, but will only take two to four buses to away games. The Virginia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina State and Syracuse games will have a pep band that will play in the stands with about a third or a fourth of the total band present.

Hopefully this won't hamper our ability to neutralize a hostile environment in Louisville and Blacksburg.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tiger Band - No Full Band for Away Games in 2017*

Jul 19, 2017, 8:55 AM

Play on the field is the best neutralizer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

So the increased ticket/parking $$$ didn't go to the band***

Jul 19, 2017, 8:58 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

This is where the disparity between SEC and ACC revenue is

Jul 19, 2017, 8:58 AM

starting to show up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Auburn will have their full band in our house.

Jul 19, 2017, 9:15 AM

And I believe it makes a difference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

It does make a difference. Not only for games against the

Jul 19, 2017, 10:29 AM

top teams, but in games where we are a significant favorite where it can be hard to get up for and fall into a trap of flatness on the road.

Nailed it***

Jul 19, 2017, 10:27 AM [ in reply to This is where the disparity between SEC and ACC revenue is ]

Jul 19, 2017, 9:10 AM

It balances out. Tiger Band took 6 full band trips last year (7 if you include the appearance at the Panthers/49ers game in Charlotte), including 2 by air. The band students loved every minute of it, but it got pretty taxing on them as far as schoolwork and classes missed. So this year will balance that out. No big deal.

Tiger Band not All In

Jul 19, 2017, 9:15 AM

:)

Back when I was in Tiger Band we went to all the games and we liked it

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Re: Tiger Band not All In

Jul 19, 2017, 9:24 AM

Tiger Band still goes to all the games. They just aren't all full band trips. It's been this way for many years. Be thankful...Tiger Band is one of the last bands left that still has a presence at every single game.

Liked it ??? WE LOVED IT !! and it was UPHILL BOTH WAYS !!***

Jul 19, 2017, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Tiger Band not All In ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jul 19, 2017, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Tiger Band - No Full Band for Away Games in 2017* ]

Please explain how not doing something this year can balance out what you did last year. Not going to Syracuse, Louisville, and maybe Virginia Tech makes sense, but N.C. State is there and back on the same day. As a CUTBA member I am disappointed.

Jul 19, 2017, 10:39 AM

I've been traveling with Tiger Band for 18 years. NC State has rarely (if ever) been an up and back day trip.

Jul 19, 2017, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger Band - No Full Band for Away Games in 2017* ]

CUTBA member here as well.

The band was heavily taxed last season. Last year Tiger Band featured an extremely young lineup, over half of its members were freshman or sophomores. The heavy core class work loads paired with the most intense marching band season in NCAA history (7 full band trips is an NCAA record) took a toll on student's academics.

I hate to say it, but its not unrealistic to understand that the team might take a step back this year due to the talent we lost. Another national championship is improbable, though not impossible this year, so given the time and resources that were spent on sending the band on a historic season last year, it reasonable to ease up on the strain put on band members this year.

Plus, Dan Radakovich HATES the band. he has tried multiple times to eliminate Tiger Band from gameday. He tried to force the band directors to get rid of Tiger Rag and the alma mater. He tried to force band members to pay for season tickets instead of letting the band in for free. And he tried to cut the number of band members in half and prohibit travel to any and all away games, including bowls and championships. So, the politics game is also at play as well, luckily Dabo does a lot to lobby for the band's inclusion, even demanding the band receive National Championship rings. The only thing keeping the band protected from being cut by the athletic department is the efforts of the directors, Dabo's personal demands to keep the band there, and the money that comes in from the largest alumni organization at Clemson which is CUTBA. So between the heavy workload strain on students, and overloading the athletic department with travel expenses, Tiger Band needs a season for R&R.

I don't think...

Jul 19, 2017, 9:30 AM

the full band has been traveling to away games for several years now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

You haven't been paying attention...

Jul 19, 2017, 10:37 AM

Tiger Band took 6 full band trips last year (7 if you include the appearance at the Panthers/49ers game in Charlotte), including 2 by air.

Tiger Band...that is the FULL Tiger Band...attends at least 2 away games per year. They always have. This year is an exception, and an anomaly.

You're right about that...

Jul 19, 2017, 11:48 AM

The band generally has pretty lousy seats so hopefully I'm not sitting near enough to notice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jul 19, 2017, 9:34 AM

It's also just the way the schedule plays out. Laat year our away games happened to be all against teams we always take the full band to like Georgia Tech and FSU.

This year it just so happens all of our away games, with the exception of SCAR, are quite lengthy trips. We always take a smaller band to places like NC State and Syracuse because of the distance. The only exception to this, in the regular season at least, is FSU because of how big that game is.

Reminds me of 2 page spread in 1971 TAPS

Jul 19, 2017, 9:37 AM
IMG_1337.JPG(52.1 K)
IMG_1340.JPG(48.0 K)

of the Florida St. game.

That's really bad. The athletic department makes more and

Jul 19, 2017, 10:27 AM

more money and something like this waters down the product more and more. I think it will affect our road performance in some way. I wonder if it will cause a drop in band member numbers. We had finally built a large number for our band and a lot may have been due to kids wanting the opportunity for road trips. It is disappointing.

Having said that, however, I have seen that other schools have gone to the road pep band a long time before now. Still, however, schools like Alabama wouldn't hear of such a thing. I wonder how the rest of the SEC schools do in this regard. We are constantly wanting the ACC to have the excitement of the SEC and Clemson is always wanting to match the "big time" sstatus of a Bama, etc. Well, part of that is taking a big, loud, full band on the road with us.

Re: That's really bad. The athletic department makes more and

Jul 19, 2017, 2:23 PM

See my long post above.

This decision was made by the band directors alone for 2 reasons: 1. to lighten the workload on students and prevent academic conflicts that came with last year and, 2. to try to stay in good standing with the athletic department because Radakovich has been trying to find a reason to get rid of Tiger Band ever since he arrived at Clemson.

Two thoughts:

Jul 19, 2017, 10:42 AM

1. Can we keep FSU from bringing their full band? Please please please

2. Does this free up more visitor seat tickets to the NC State game?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic