Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on the Syracuse game. (Watched it again.)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 4,043

Thoughts on the Syracuse game. (Watched it again.)

Sep 30, 2018, 9:25 PM

1. Syracuse is a good football team. Even with TL, I think that would have been a war. TL really wasn't THAT effective against them before he went out. They are well coached and they have some serious football players.

2. One of the best Clemson O-line performances I've seen in a long time... when it comes to run-blocking. Extremely good blocking. Even against a stacked box. Very impressive.

3. Chase Brice's biggest weakness. Pocket presence. He doesn't step up in the pocket when there is a rush from the outside. He ran into a couple bad sacks. QB needs to help out against the rush by moving to the right place sometimes.

4. Our defense does have holes. QB's who can take a beating can find them. Our DL is amazing. Every bit as good as advertised. But we are going to have blown coverages every game. Hopefully the QB doesn't have time to see most of them.

5.Running out of elite talent at QB was what our OC's needed to make big adjustments. My biggest fear when TL went down wasn't Chase Brice's arm, it was that our OC's would shrink the playbook to 4 plays the whole game no matter what. ETN and our O-line probably made them look smarter, but leaning on the power run game saved us. Also allowing Chase to throw the ball in key situations probably enabled him to be successful on that season saving 4th down conversion.

6. TL overthrew the ball several times before he left. When he comes back, I hope this subsides. But I remember after KB came back from that concussion last year his deep ball was off badly for several games.

7. Depth contributed to that win as much as anything else. The way Dabo rotates our people is a long-term strategy that paid dividends yesterday.

8. I said after a few games last year that I think ETN will be the best RB in Clemson history. I understand the significance of that statement then and I stand by it now.

9. I want to see more high arching deep balls to Tee Higgins and Justyn Ross. Use that counter draw as a playaction and exploit man to man. 50/50 ball with those guys is an 80/20 ball.

10. Wake Forest will be stacking the box more than Syracuse did. Syracuse probably should have been more aggressive on the LOS during the 4th quarter. WF will see that. Their coach is extremely flexible when it comes to game-plans. They will focus on stopping the run and going after INT's. I expect a closer game than any of the T-Net pickers predictions, unless someone says it's a one score game.

11. We are currently not one of the best 4 teams in the country IMO. I think we can be by the end of the season. I'm not complaining. I think our ceiling is as high as anyone's, but we have more things to straighten out than half of the top 10 right now.

12. Hunter Renfrow's catch was one of the best catches in Clemson history. The level of difficulty to stop his inertia and come down with that ball is insane.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on the Syracuse game. (Watched it again.)

Sep 30, 2018, 9:29 PM

Addressing #6, to me it seemed that he had taken some power off those throws, maybe to make them more catchable vs his normal lasers. Yes they were deeper balls but they seemed to kind of hang up, which I’ve never seen from him. First start, I think he performed very well. The CB issued will be fixed, I have no doubts.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He threw a couple out of bounds and didn't put enough air

Sep 30, 2018, 9:31 PM

under one in the endzone.

Re: He threw a couple out of bounds and didn't put enough air

Sep 30, 2018, 9:33 PM

under one in the endzone.

I’ll watch it again for a third time once everyone goes to bed and there’s peace and quiet.

Re: He threw a couple out of bounds and didn't put enough air

Sep 30, 2018, 9:37 PM

https://youtu.be/Ab7fU_0ucJA?t=3013

Use the link for time stamp.

Good assessment.

Sep 30, 2018, 9:32 PM

nm

Addressing #4, Dungey is a #### good QB and he has the ability to put the ball where it needs to go. Don’t care how good coverage is, if the ball is there, it’s a catch. I don’t think we will face another QB of his caliber during regular season.
I mean, except Bentley...

Use links for this

Sep 30, 2018, 9:42 PM

Notice two dudes in same place, leaving open man in space.

https://youtu.be/Ab7fU_0ucJA?t=4477

And on this one, notice he lets him get open. On a 3rd and 10. Not good.

https://youtu.be/Ab7fU_0ucJA?t=4442

I can find more. Nolan blew coverage on a big play too earlier.

Re: Use links for this

Sep 30, 2018, 9:55 PM

Thanks for the links. I’m still rewatching it again, though, lol.
Yes, NT has some learning to do, but that will come from this game, for him and the others.

Sep 30, 2018, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on the Syracuse game. (Watched it again.) ]

Ah:

1. NC State QB is solid and a future NFL QB

2. FL State QB Francois is getting back in groove, their problem is their OLine

3. Duke QB was real good before collar bone break and coming back in 2 weeks after Surgery is unreal. He didn’t look so great in his return

4. Wake QB isn’t as good as their last year QB

5. And then there’s JB ??

Great post, I agree on all points. Syracuse will likely be a 9-3 or maybe even 10-2 team looking at their schedule, assuming they do not let this loss get to their heads.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll take the bait. Pass blocking leaves much to be desired. We still need an answer at RG. Is it Cervenka? I'm thinking yes. Play at safety was, well, not great. We still aren't jamming and are letting receivers release virtually untouched. See Nolan Turner. Still taking bad angles on pass coverage.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Two of the Brice sacks would have been easily avoided had

Sep 30, 2018, 9:44 PM

he stepped up in the pocket instead of running to the boundary. You can actually see Streeter tell him to step up after one of them.

Pass blocking needs to be improved, I agree, but Brice made it look worse than it was.

Re: Two of the Brice sacks would have been easily avoided had

Sep 30, 2018, 9:46 PM

Cade Stewart is not the answer at RG.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Maybe, but he was effective when run blocking.***

Sep 30, 2018, 9:47 PM

Re: Maybe, but he was effective when run blocking.***

Sep 30, 2018, 9:50 PM

I guess we were watching different games.

Screw Calford.

You are right. Cervenka was the one doing well.***

Sep 30, 2018, 9:54 PM

Re: You are right. Cervenka was the one doing well.***

Sep 30, 2018, 9:56 PM

Except for one false start, I thought Cervenka played lights out. Best Oline performance of the year, in fact.

Screw Calford.

Sep 30, 2018, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on the Syracuse game. (Watched it again.) ]

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/

The answer to right guard is making $129,000 this year with the Carolina Panthers. If I am Taylor Hearn, I think I would’ve taken another run for a national championship and a graduate degree at Clemson with my last year of eligibility. For more money, I would leave. For practice squad money, I stay in school.

O line was not good when QBs dropped back, Cuse got

through almost every time. They have to get better at pass blocking. I kept praying that Chase would not drop back, the one time he did, he was sacked. I hope Cuse has a monster rest of season, which will increase our play off hopes significantly. Their outstanding QB was hurt last year after beating us, otherwise, I think they would have had a good year last year too. As the QB goes, so does Cuse!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ugh, people say this every game.

Sep 30, 2018, 9:57 PM

Nobody understands that pass blocking is only as good as the QB makes it. The tackles are supposed to run people around the end, if you drift back and get sacked that's the QBs fault, not the OL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 9:43 PM

Credit Streeter for having Brice ready to play.

Team has been tested twice and knows how to win under adversity. Can't say this for many of the other top teams.

The Tigers are most certainly one of the four best teams.

Wow..an actual knowledgeable post on TNET

Sep 30, 2018, 9:58 PM

May your tribe increase

Good points

Sep 30, 2018, 9:58 PM

Agree on most, especially 3 and 4. Let the runners run, let the throwers throw.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Removing the read option seems to have strengthened our

Oct 1, 2018, 12:00 AM

ground game.

We have elite runners, and an elite thrower. Makes sense to let them do their thing.

Sep 30, 2018, 10:08 PM

I'll likely get flamed for this, but as a life long Clemson fan, I'll give my thoughts. Clemson has yet to really look like a top ten team, much less #3. We have played 2 decent teams this year, TA&M and Syracuse. We struggled to win in both games. I felt all last week that we would not be able to easily win the Syracuse game, and said that to anyone who would listen. I think we can get there by the end of the season, but we need major improvement. If they don't improve a lot, there are going to be some defensive lineman who will regret not entering the draft last year. I agree with the decision of starting Trevor, because he is our only hope of beating teams like UGA, Ohio State or Bama in the post season. KB2 quitting does however leave us way too thin at QB. We need a great QB, because that OL is not very good at protecting the pocket. The OL and the secondary on defense are the 2 areas that need a lot of improvement. Many will look at this close call and point to the loss of Trevor Lawrence as the reason it was close. In reality, the Tigers were losing the game before we lost Trevor. If we do not improve drastically, then losing 1 game might actually be better than going undefeated in the regular season just to lose 70-6 in the playoffs.

Is this an interview thread?

Sep 30, 2018, 10:34 PM

Seems like some folks are interviewing.

At least it's not one of those 'practicing stupid in public' threads...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Points 5 & 6

Sep 30, 2018, 10:38 PM

First, I agree with pretty much everything in your post. I just want to add a couple of thoughts to the parts in my title reply:

Starting with #6 - I remember KB completing some deep passes but I don't remember him ever being a consistent deep ball threat. Receivers were rarely able to run under his passes in full stride the way I've seen them do with DW4 and a reasonable number of Trevor's throws. Trevor is only going to get better with more live game experience.

Which leads me back to #5 - KB himself and several posters loved to point out that the OC's were giving Trevor "better plays" (that could be where the suggestion of racism reared its ugly head) and not allowing him to showcase his true ability. After seeing Chase's play once he settled in yesterday and the plays he was given to run, I came to the conclusion that the OC's would have LOVED to give KB the same options but, having seen him on the field every single day, they knew that downfield throwing simply wasn't his strength. Instead they limited him to running plays, RPO's and sideline passes. Unfortunately DC's were quick to figure out that he wasn't going to go deep and were able to stack the field against him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 4,043
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic