Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on running the QB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Thoughts on running the QB

Nov 17, 2014, 9:36 AM

In general, I don't have a problem with running our QB. That's our game and I think teams need to know we can and will run our quarterback and that will help loosen up other parts of our running game, play action, etc. Normally a good strategy.

However, if dual-threat is your game, then you jolly well better have a capable backup because you should expect your starter to go down. If you don't have a good #2, then maybe rethink how often you put your QB in harms way. Boyd was a tank and could take a beating. DW is just a skinny freshman -- I'm ok with running him if we have someone who can take his place but it's obvious that we don't.

Obviously our problem is that our offense is setup to feature a dual-threat QB and when we have a QB that is not a true dual-threat, then it doesn't work very well.

I just wish we had more flexibility in our offense to accommodate situations when we can't or shouldn't run our QB as much and still be effective.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on running the QB

Nov 17, 2014, 9:39 AM

Both of those injuries (Hand and Knee) were freak accidents that had nothing to really do with the play call. He could have had either one of those injuries getting sacked or running drills at practice. To me, GT's field was really $hitty seen as how there were a few other knee injuries going on without contact. The only deal with Watson is he needs to put on alil weight for next year. If he can get up to at least 215 maybe 220 that'll help him out a lot.

Re: Thoughts on running the QB

Nov 17, 2014, 9:42 AM

I don't have a problem with running the QB if you have to do that to win.

There's something to be said for running a gifted passer like Watson vs. someone like Connor Shaw or the guy from Tennessee.

When you have a guy who can sling the ball around even behind a terrible OL, there's no reason to force the issue when you have no other options.

what no one wants to talk about... or when it is talked

Nov 17, 2014, 9:52 AM

about people get called "coots" or "bashers"... is that we have no run game except for the QB. We have no way to generate a ground game w/o it. DW going down just proved this.

TB was our ground game answer to keep people honest. It wasnt Hot Rod. It was Boyd, and he only averaged 2.5 for his career.

When your run game is that reliable on a guy like DW, there's a lot of room for problems.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: what no one wants to talk about... or when it is talked

Nov 17, 2014, 10:20 AM

U sure are right.. and until this improves we will not beat good teams like FSU and the dirty c$$ts.. O/L

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DW was a better passer to begin with...I simply

Nov 17, 2014, 9:43 AM

can't believe that the highest paid OC doesn't have that kind of common sense to protect your best player coming off an injury. A good coach / leader always adapts to adverse situations.

DW doesn't have to run to make him an effective QB...We are not talking about guys like Nick Marshall or Tyler Murphy. DW is a more polished passer...but, what do we know? it is what it is :(...Apparently 6 in a row is not a big deal to lots of folks here!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't understand the notion that "Chad wasn't protecting

Nov 17, 2014, 10:00 AM

DW coming off an injury." The injury was to Watson's hand. Maybe the staff didn't believe Watson's throwing ability was at 100%. With that in mind, it makes perfect sense to have Watson use his perfectly healthy legs more in this game....and it was working. 7 carries for 40 yards is pretty much the most we've gotten out of the run game all year.

It was another freak injury. It could have happened on his first carry or his 30th carry of the game.

people that suggest CM caused DW's injury are insane

Nov 17, 2014, 10:01 AM

however, my issue is a bigger problem. I do not understand how our run game is so dependent on our freshmen QB. If this was CM's first year... i get it. But right now, I don't.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

agree, but it is understandable how he makes run game a lot

Nov 17, 2014, 10:05 AM

better. For example, this was seen on that pitch play they kept running. It worked with DW as the defense had to account that DW might fake pitch and keep. CS runs the same play and it is blown up due that the defense totally disregards the qb and commits to the rb.

I absolutely agree that he is a threat and should be used

Nov 17, 2014, 10:08 AM

a lot... no question about that. He is very tough to defend.

But it baffles me how bad we are when he goes out. I mean we are ZERO threat to run the ball. When I say "zero threat"... I mean that we are not gonna sustain a drive and take pressure of the QB by running it. We can't. We couldn't last year. I don't get it.

Re: I absolutely agree that he is a threat and should be used

Nov 17, 2014, 10:18 AM

can U say "OFF LINE".. that is a 20 years problem that is not improving.. maybe in 2016 it will improve but for now we just don`t have one that CAN BLOCK!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed... but at what point do you start looking at scheme?

Nov 17, 2014, 10:23 AM

We try to run with deception, even on the OL... That is not the same as just not firing off.

our running game sans running QB has improved over...

Nov 17, 2014, 10:18 AM [ in reply to people that suggest CM caused DW's injury are insane ]

the past few weeks. Gallman has broken 100 yards the previous two weeks and could have easily passed that this week if CS hadn't thrown 3 picks.

I understand people think our RBs are unimpressive, it is improving.

We have the same issue at RB that we have at QB. CJ is a track convert. Howard was a depth signee. Losing Bellamy and Lane hurt us along with injuries to Brooks and Dye.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you're right in that we are gaining yards... but

Nov 17, 2014, 10:22 AM

I don't think we are going to line up and control the clock against anyone, and I think teams know that. Our run game is so dependent on deception, misdirection, and using the QB as a back. Those things are fine... but I think it prevents us from being able to control the game when we have an injury like with DW.

heck could have happened rolling out of the pocket to throw

Nov 17, 2014, 10:02 AM [ in reply to I don't understand the notion that "Chad wasn't protecting ]

a pass

sounds good....

Nov 17, 2014, 9:50 AM

I have one car. I may get in a wreck. I'm going to leave it in the garage and walk.

Very reasonable argument, just not practical. You can't limit yourself because of something that MIGHT happen. I'm sure the coaches want more depth at QB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: sounds good....

Nov 17, 2014, 10:07 AM

I have five.... One is always in the garage

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic